• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(No Debate) [Extreme Political] What you need to know about Hong Kong's new National Security Law

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I read a article mentioning the great Chinese firewall is descending on Hong Kong, is this true and has anyone had experience of this development?
I don't exactly know what that means. But the GFW has been a thing for many years. Yes it sucks. But I don't really think it has anything to do with HK. If it means it blocks access from mainland to HK. I think it's ridiculous. If it means, blocking access from HK to rest of the world then there's a chance and may happen in a decade. And I don't really like it. The thing is that GFW is not blocking everything. Like what I'm doing right now. It's completely fine without any restriction. I'm in mainland btw.

OP
A

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
GFW is not happening, as of this moment. It is also irrelevant to HK, I think, the PRC can do without it. Media self-censorship has been seen however. To my personal knowledge, some senior journalists/editors at some pro-govt media are preparing eascape plans.

As said, I'm not trying to make any commentory, criticisms whatsoever. What I care is not any side's intension, what I can is its effects; What I care is fellows' personal interests, as I know this forum serves all walks of life.

That hotel office thing, it happens over a night or two, so you know just how quick things can turn.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Internet ...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/08/china-great-firewall-descends-hong-kong-internet-users

VPN time ...
7846.jpg

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing; my Mom sent me an email with these guys holding up their phones ... she said people are spying through the Internet and stuff like that, 5G and all. You think it's true what they're doing on the Internet?

OP
A

andymok

I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing; my Mom sent me an email with these guys holding up their phones ... she said people are spying through the Internet and stuff like that, 5G and all. You think it's true what they're doing on the Internet?

To whom, to where, to what?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was being sarcastic...
Ok.

But we in the West who are communicating directly with friends and family in HK may have a clearer idea what's going on than you do.

When vague lingering threats prevent one from openly discussing uncomfortable facts, one ends up with . . . Stereophile.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ok.

But we in the West who are communicating directly with friends and family in HK may have a clearer idea what's going on than you do.

When vague lingering threats prevent one from openly discussing uncomfortable facts, one ends up with . . . Stereophile.
I was born in China and also have countless friends in Guangdong area and HK.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was born in China and also have countless friends in Guangdong area and HK.
Yes, you're geographically closer to HK than I am at this moment, and you probably know more people there than I do.

However, I don't have to worry about disappearing if I say something unkind about the CPC or President Xi. That's what the people of HK are afraid of, and it's a very real fear. I have a relative who disappeared in the PRC without legal process for over a year because of the contents of a letter he wrote.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, you're geographically closer to HK than I am at this moment, and you probably know more people there than I do.

However, I don't have to worry about disappearing if I say something unkind about the CPC or President Xi. That's what the people of HK are afraid of, and it's a very real fear. I have a relative who disappeared in the PRC without legal process for over a year because of the contents of a letter he wrote.
I don't either. That's the point. The information you guys get aren't really accurate. Sure there are some cases that it can happen. But for the most part not ture. It's like saying everyone in US is racist or there are gun shots every other night. Once you are there, you would know that's not true even though there are cases that it is true. I fully understand that. I also have quite a few friends in the US(for studying), I am studying in Syndey(not right now, you know what i mean). And a lot of stereotypes aren't really true. Even people in Taiwan, in HK, they don't really know what's happening in mainland. It's indeed like a different society. I have been to HK quite a few times for SAT. It is different.
The main thing is the education. I didn't want to talk about it but here we go. The HK education system is still pretty much following the UK way. And the carelessness from the HK government on this matter caused this issue. Many teachers straight up hating China. For a country that's going strong, of course you'd know not everything about it is bad. The new generations of course wouldn't know what happened in 1997 and what happened since. They like western countries, think in western way because they are educated that way. They weight nothing on the importance of mainland China. If anyone is able to think critically would know HK needs to staying in China. Without all the privileges, with the very weird geometric location (surrounded by China), lacking a lot of things compared to Taiwan and many many other things, HK just can't live on its own. It would not work. For the past year, Chinese government just didn't do anything on the HK situation. And see what good ending it turned out? Those people are straight up losing their mind. Making up shit, doing assassination. The Chinese government is simply cleaning it up and making stuff back to what it should be, HK is still a part of China for crying out loud. The GFW stuff is only small portion of what's going on, it can be important. But as I'm currently watching YouTube video while typing this comment on the phone, the people who want to have access to the world will be able to do that.
To summarize, things aren't exactly simple as most people think and it's also simpler than what people have imagined. It's not the end of the world(for people in HK), it's for the good not the bad.

OP
A

andymok

See this is exactly what we do not need. This isn't funny. What I concern for most is personal safety. No it has not intrude into personal life yet. Most harrasements from the authorities to individuals happen on the street, where you comment and overheard by law enforcement, or "sensitive" gestures or clothings publicly. If you are safe then good for you.

I won't name names, but if I have to say, my classmate who sat right behind me back in the uni days, had to flee out of Hong Kong immediately thanks to the law, as he's surely politically targeted. I haven't scratched a skin but am I worried? As a matter of fact yes a bit I am.

It isn't that simple indeed, you know it's chaotic just by looking at the admins. That's why we'll need as much FACTS as possible to help anyone to assess the situation and make decisions out of sea of noises.

I will not comment, I will not discuss, I will not talk about my stand, I will just be posting necessary facts and updates. That's it.

If anyone like to correct or to comfort someone I ask you to be patient and do it in a polite, open manner, while the other part try not to challenge it back.

OP
A

andymok

TikTok ends operations in Hong Kong
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kp6b

TikTok to exit Hong Kong 'within days'
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53317015

TikTok says it will exit Hong Kong market within days
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...it-hong-kong-market-within-days-idUSKBN2480AD
The source said the move was made because it was not clear if Hong Kong would now fall entirely under Beijing’s jurisdiction in light of the new law.

ByteDance evaluates changes to corporate structure of TikTok
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...o-corporate-structure-of-tiktok-idUSKBN24A2CD

Under the same roof is Dǒuyīn. Tiktok is the international version for overseas market, while Dǒuyīn is the domestic version for mainland China. The two are not compatible, to separate contents completely, from entering the mainland and vice versa. Further analysis said it could be to avoid violating EU's GDPR in case the PRC govt requests handover of user data, which could lead to billions of fine.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If anyone is able to think critically would know HK needs to staying in China.
What was broken post UK hand off that required changes? Seemed like we had our cake and eat it too. China got Hong Kong but left them alone for years with their westernized culture, laws, etc. Are HK people asking for more than they had say, 10 years ago?

bennetng

Major Contributor
Ok.

At least Stereophile still do measurements and sometimes the graph plots are quite disgusting. Still much better than sites like 6Moons for example. Now imagine if Stereophile getting more and more corrupted, showing fake measurements, getting more and more shill articles, and the path of a Computer Audiophile to an Audiophile with a "Style"... things are getting worse and worse, just like what is happening recently.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What was broken post UK hand off that required changes? Seemed like we had our cake and eat it too. China got Hong Kong but left them alone for years with their westernized culture, laws, etc. Are HK people asking for more than they had say, 10 years ago?
(I can't tell if this is a rhetorical question, so I'm going to answer it.)

No, the people of HK are not asking for more than they had ten years ago. The issue is that President Xi, the CPC, and Beijing loyalists in Hong Kong have sought to end the one country, two systems approach that was agreed with the UK. China did this first with extralegal steps such as kidnappings of HK citizens from HK and from foreign soil (as punishment for criticizing President Xi), then through Beijing's incompetent proxies in HK with the failed extradition bill, and now with the Hong Kong Security Law, which was passed in Beijing, not Hong Kong.

The HK situation is part of a larger trend. President Xi sees that China is powerful now, and he is exerting pressure in every direction on the map. The recent India move was dangerous, and I'm glad that that situation seems to have deescalated.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(I can't tell if this is a rhetorical question, so I'm going to answer it.)

No, the people of HK are not asking for more than they had ten years ago. The issue is that President Xi, the CPC, and Beijing loyalists in Hong Kong have sought to end the one country, two systems approach that was agreed with the UK. China did this first with extralegal steps such as kidnappings of HK citizens from HK and from foreign soil (as punishment for criticizing President Xi), then through Beijing's incompetent proxies in HL with the failed extradition bill, and now with the Hong Kong Security Law, which was passed in Beijing, not Hong Kong.

The HK situation is part of a larger trend. President Xi sees that China is powerful now, and he is exerting pressure in every direction on the map. The recent India move was dangerous, and I'm glad that that situation seems to have deescalated.
No question about it, China is flexing b/c its leaders believe it's growing stronger relative to every other ostensible world power.

Lao Lu

Ok.

Haha...that was funny!

Top Bottom