• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWBIE - Am I deaf ?

Wombat

Master Contributor
The OP did not push any unsupported subjective opinions. As soon as he said “musicality” you jumped in like the objectivists’ Lone Ranger and start demanding proof and double blind tests and whatnot (yes, that’s hyperbole). That looks like trolling to me, subjectively, that is.

What he meant sound vs. musicality was clear to me and probably to most anyone not trying to argue and patronize someone without a PhD in audio science.

Whatever, you be you. I’m just a member.
The OP did not push any unsupported subjective opinions. As soon as he said “musicality” you jumped in like the objectivists’ Lone Ranger and start demanding proof and double blind tests and whatnot (yes, that’s hyperbole). That looks like trolling to me, subjectively, that is.

What he meant sound vs. musicality was clear to me and probably to most anyone not trying to argue and patronize someone without a PhD in audio science.

Whatever, you be you. I’m just a member.

The term 'musicality' has no measurably defined meaning in audio reproduction. Can you show me otherwise?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Well there you go, he was talking about different CD masterings, not equipment.

I mistakenly used the word 'equipment' and after checking the post, promptly deleted from my post. Not fast enough, it seems.

Please feel free to comment on the edited post #61, above.

velasfloyd

Hi,

Exactly what I thought.
So ANY CD can sound good, provided the engineer put enough time and efforts into it and do it to compliment good systems.
From what I understand in your post, most of them don't do that. Sadly...

I think there wa s atime when sound engineers could do that. I am afraid that time is now long over :-(

Regards.

I don't think it is a matter of capacity, effort or time, but a matter of business related decisions. I don't think it is because engineers are not good now, but that they are employees of an industry that must to sell. Anyway this is just what I think based on what I have read, could be mistaken and the answer should be given by someone who actually works in the industry.

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
I see you changed “equipment” to ”musical reproduction”. You hadn’t even read his post right, did you? Thought he was talking about gear, right?

OK, but lots of words can be like that, so we can look to context for help. It meant something to me because I cared to try and understand what he meant. I really don’t want to argue any more, but I think you honestly don’t know what he meant so I’ll share my version.

Mastered for Sound:
Mastered “hot”, loud, compressed (heavy kick), everything same volume, weird sound or stereophonic effects, etc. Mastered for mass consumption by regular people who want to dance or sing along in their car (and like to limit their volume knob to 2/10, max), not for audiophile critical listening.

Mastered for Musicality:
Having instruments with dynamics, space between instruments, localized instruments and voices, having a sense of the space where the recording was made, etc. Mastered for people who listen critically and want to hear more natural sounding voices and instruments.

Peace

Wombat

Master Contributor
I read his post. I made a mental slip. I picked it up when I checked my post, as I am wont to do, prior to your reply.

Thank you for posting your takes. I can't say I have cause to agree with you.

Top Bottom