• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newb trying to optimize based on multieq-x results

apexkingjusto

Hi -

Finally bit the bullet on multieq-x and am excited to learn more, although I know I just opened a can of worms, so I'm trying to pace things. I'd love to better understand a few things for now and would be grateful for any help this community can provide. For now, I'm sticking with the base settings for the most part, but I'm building new files to play around with.

- What room acoustics are contributing to the sub 100hz dip, or is that just a factor of the speakers?
- There is a glass door next to the left speaker, could that be what that extra blip is between 70hz and 100hz?

- What if any filters and settings would folks recommend beyond just a PEQ filters
- Are there any obvious PEQ changes you would implement based on the charts?
- Since there is a Linkwitz-Riley filter you can apply with Multieq-X, does it make any sense to use this? I was playing with it and was totally lost.
- As a general rule, should I only try to manipulate things where the range is within +/- 3db?

Bookshelf speaker specs
Frequency response:40 - 20K Hz, ±3dB.
Impedance:4 Ohms, nominal.
Efficiency: 87dB SPLfrom 2.8 VRMS (" 1 Watt") pink noise input, measured at 1 meter in a typical listening room.
Crossovers: 700 Hz and 4KHz. Fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley design with 24dB/octave slopes.

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 7.43.19 AM.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 7.42.45 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 7.45.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 7.44.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 7.44.14 AM.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 7.44.51 AM.jpeg

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest you check the measurements with REW. Use psychoacoustics filter and compare uncorrected and corrected response. You might start wondering if the tweaking you are doing is actually making things better.

I wanted to be able to endlessly tweak things closer and closer to perfection, but it just didn't work out. I'm sure an expert could do much better, but for the amount of time and learning I'm comfortable spending I just feel leaving the speakers alone from 300-500Hz is the second best option.

OP
A

apexkingjusto

I suggest you check the measurements with REW. Use psychoacoustics filter and compare uncorrected and corrected response. You might start wondering if the tweaking you are doing is actually making things better.

I wanted to be able to endlessly tweak things closer and closer to perfection, but it just didn't work out. I'm sure an expert could do much better, but for the amount of time and learning I'm comfortable spending I just feel leaving the speakers alone from 300-500Hz is the second best option.

Thanks!

Don’t think I’m completely down the road of endless tweaking, just getting started with REW for the first time.

To your point though, I’m going to leave the surrounds and at most alone and just focus on fronts and subs (although not sure I want to buy another box for sub dsp when Audyssey does it).

I took some measurements of the fronts and sub mixed channel, but all after Audyssey correction. Will post the results shortly along w trying psychoacoustic filter.

OP
A

apexkingjusto

Need to research how to setup the psychoacoustic filters and also change y-axis to match on REW and MultiEq-X (one is SPL one is dB). Figured I'd post this for now. Generally speaking, I think these results look pretty good, and feel like the crossover of 120Hz is validated now, despite front's being able to go down to 40Hz.
REW After MultiEQ-X

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 11.43.31 AM.png

MultiEQ-X

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 11.52.15 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 11.52.37 AM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 11.50.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 11.50.58 AM.png
    315.5 KB · Views: 37
OP
A

apexkingjusto

Red - Audyssey off
Green - Audyssey - Reference and Dynamic EQ - On
Blue - Audyssey - Flat and Dynamic EQ - Off

Need to do one with Audyssey Flat and Dynamic EQ - On as that's what I find I listen to the most.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 5.34.54 PM.png

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the combined response with DEQ Off? I don't think you need to measure with DEQ.

Flat vs reference doesn't matter if you limit correction to lower frequencies.

Myself, I initially did full range correction and it kind of sounded better, more detailed, but after a while it became fatiguing and irritating.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Red - Audyssey off
Green - Audyssey - Reference and Dynamic EQ - On
Blue - Audyssey - Flat and Dynamic EQ - Off

Need to do one with Audyssey Flat and Dynamic EQ - On as that's what I find I listen to the most.

View attachment 253083
What smoothing did you apply. Use either 1/12 or Psy and best display it on the chart so everyone knows.

Good progress though.

OP
A

apexkingjusto

What's the combined response with DEQ Off? I don't think you need to measure with DEQ.

Flat vs reference doesn't matter if you limit correction to lower frequencies.

Myself, I initially did full range correction and it kind of sounded better, more detailed, but after a while it became fatiguing and irritating.
Sorry, the one with Audyssey off in red is also with DEQ off, I don’t think DEQ can even be on if Audyssey is off.

I’m just using the defaults from MultiEq-X on this one which I the only difference is the midrang compensation on reference. Both use the home theater roll off.

OP
A

apexkingjusto

Kind of tempted to take my own measurements and turn off Audyssey to see how the results look. I probably should also spend time focusing just on the subwoofers in some of this. I added these monsterous sound isolation feet to my REL 10” last night, should have done a before/after test just on that. I’ll do and after test based on the combined subwoofer model from Audyssey.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kind of tempted to take my own measurements and turn off Audyssey to see how the results look. I probably should also spend time focusing just on the subwoofers in some of this. I added these monsterous sound isolation feet to my REL 10” last night, should have done a before/after test just on that. I’ll do and after test based on the combined subwoofer model from Audyssey.
Have you tried how you subjectively think of the sound with Audyssey limited only to below 300-500Hz?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Red - Audyssey off
There are three red traces but I don't understand what the individual lines are exactly and how they relate to one another. Could you please explain?

Also, check out this button.

1672327115285.png

I recommend these settings as a start, which would get you something like this.

1672327252648.png

Hope this helps!

OP
A

apexkingjusto

There are three red traces but I don't understand what the individual lines are exactly and how they relate to one another. Could you please explain?

Also, check out this button.

View attachment 253268

I recommend these settings as a start, which would get you something like this.

View attachment 253269

Hope this helps!
Thanks, I will try this!

The 3 lines represent left, right, and subs or LFE channel.

OP
A

apexkingjusto

Updated with VAR smoothing

Attachments

• with and without audy.jpg
    with and without audy.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 42
Top Bottom