• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Weiss 501 DAC !

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Mivera

Major Contributor
Bugger Mike, you can't have a prize as we already gave away the weekly ASR mug, guess you will have to make do with being extra pleased with yourself :D

Send my mug to Mike L instead. He should be pleased he can finally ditch his turn table :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Send my mug to Mike L instead. He should be pleased he can finally ditch his turn table :)

Too cheap for him , luckily our members aren't so fussy :D

Like I said at the time, I think transparent amplification and neutral speakers should be standard and we can then do everything in software.

So companies brand/house sound could be had at a click of a mouse!

No more manufacturing costs for ARC and the like, just make a plug in. Win win... :)

Mivera

Major Contributor
Too cheap for him , luckily our members aren't so fussy :D

Like I said at the time, I think transparent amplification and neutral speakers should be standard and we can then do everything in software.

So companies brand/house sound could be had at a click of a mouse!

No more manufacturing costs for ARC and the like, just make a plug in. Win win... :)

Yes that was discussed in detail in this thread:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-Symphonic-coloration-quot-in-modern-DAC-gear

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes but the hardware is unnecessary, as is the whole 'send the info to a guru' . Your paying through the nose for stuff that will be doable in software automatically in 5 years or less. When I buy one second hand is mr guru going to do my room EQ too? I think not, so the sell on value is comprised.

It's a yesterday product for me, the USP basically is its all in one box and you get to feel special with the personal attention.

Like I said, you pay through the nose for that.. It seems like a over priced AVR to me, I would not think it would catch on..

The guy shoud ditch the hardware and make his name selling software algorithms that do it all on a external server/pc or whatever. Cheaper and much more scalable as a business imo..

I can see why you like it, ten years ago I think it would of been a revolution.. Now not so much.

Just my opinion mind you.. Worthless in the scheme of things.. ( me that is :D)
You are completely wrong, you can alread get DRC software, I have tried all of it and someone who knows what they are doing creates a better sound , that is my experience, sometimes less is more.
The reality is one Illusonic processor will replace five or six conventional boxes and create better sound quality in your room.
Obviously there will still exist the 'sap' market for huge aluminium boxes containing very little multi box dacs etc etc .
Keith.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I agree, after all using hardware to obtain a sound is the way it's done because that was the variable, the point of potential difference and the subject of intellectual design was hardware.

Audiophiles are personally attached to the inanimate objects that make up their hifi's so there will be resistance to this idea, the companies will also resist as they wont be forward thinking enough to go this route.

When are you making a effect box that sits upstream of the dac Mike? Who is writing the software to emulate the sounds of the various hardware out there?

I don't know how you would go about the software but it will happen.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You are completely wrong, you can alread get DRC software, I have tried all of it and someone who knows what they are doing creates a better sound , that is my experience, sometimes less is more.
The reality is one Illusonic processor will replace five or six conventional boxes and create better sound quality in your room.
Obviously there will still exist the 'sap' market for huge aluminium boxes containing very little multi box dacs etc etc .
Keith.
Well that's your opinion Keith! Personally I see a future where a pair of actives are fed by a powerful processor, the software on that processor takes care of all your signal manipulation. If I was a DRC expert I could see your point about offering a bespoke service but quite why I would want to entertain the hardware costs of building a until like the illusonic just to do that is beyond me.

Like I said for yesterday, yes.. Maybe even for today but certainly not tomorrow.

Having room correction on your speakers and your AVR is not nessersary, while we are in this phase of development this is what will happen, but when it all settles down I think the best advantage comes from the processing happening upstream in a upgradable, affordable server/processing hub.

Then if folks want separate amps or whatever they can.

So with your kii three they already have some kind of room compensation yes? If they were designed without that they would be cheaper, fair assumption?

So in effect by putting a illusonic box in front your paying twice for room correction, the two systems are guaranteed to work together? We I very much doubt the illusonic was designed to feed another room correction implementation down stream?

So either this technology is implemented at the end ( the speaker) or the beginning ( source) , the middle seems silly to me..

Even if you disagree with all that ( love is blind lol) you can't disagree with the issue that exists with the illusonic being compromised when it's sold on to a second owner. By your own words the bespoke room correction is far superior, but you won't be getting it if you buy a illusonic second hand in 5 years. So it just becomes another all in one box with automatic/ user adjustable room correction and some Intresting surround effects.. No different to plenty of others on the market now and indeed bound to be on the market cheaper and in greater number in 5 years.. Along With software that sits on a server and does all that for 1/8 of the price.

No reason someone like mr fulluer can't still offer bespoke room correction for folks that use some kind of processing unit upstream of thier dac though Keith , write his own software too. It just won't be a box for you to sell...

Just my opinion.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I agree, after all using hardware to obtain a sound is the way it's done because that was the variable, the point of potential difference and the subject of intellectual design was hardware.

Audiophiles are personally attached to the inanimate objects that make up their hifi's so there will be resistance to this idea, the companies will also resist as they wont be forward thinking enough to go this route.

When are you making a effect box that sits upstream of the dac Mike? Who is writing the software to emulate the sounds of the various hardware out there?

I don't know how you would go about the software but it will happen.

I'm focusing on hardware for now. Other guys are working on software.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm focusing on hardware for now. Other guys are working on software.
Your doing sensible things imo!

The masses won't want to put together their own servers and such.. Nor will I :D

A box upstream of my dac is what I need, to get the music from my network into my dac and another box sitting in the network to hold music and do digital manipulation whether it be up sampling or room eq..

all up stream of my dac though, not down stream :)

Another shill for you in a thread about shilling another product all together :D

Mike you are ' King of the shill'

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well that's your opinion Keith! Personally I see a future where a pair of actives are fed by a powerful processor, the software on that processor takes care of all your signal manipulation. If I was a DRC expert I could see your point about offering a bespoke service but quite why I would want to entertain the hardware costs of building a until like the illusonic just to do that is beyond me.

Like I said for yesterday, yes.. Maybe even for today but certainly not tomorrow.

Having room correction on your speakers and your AVR is not nessersary, while we are in this phase of development this is what will happen, but when it all settles down I think the best advantage comes from the processing happening upstream in a upgradable, affordable server/processing hub.

Then if folks want separate amps or whatever they can.

So with your kii three they already have some kind of room compensation yes? If they were designed without that they would be cheaper, fair assumption?

So in effect by putting a illusonic box in front your paying twice for room correction, the two systems are guaranteed to work together? We I very much doubt the illusonic was designed to feed another room correction implementation down stream?

So either this technology is implemented at the end ( the speaker) or the beginning ( source) , the middle seems silly to me..

Even if you disagree with all that ( love is blind lol) you can't disagree with the issue that exists with the illusonic being compromised when it's sold on to a second owner. By your own words the bespoke room correction is far superior, but you won't be getting it if you buy a illusonic second hand in 5 years. So it just becomes another all in one box with automatic/ user adjustable room correction and some Intresting surround effects.. No different to plenty of others on the market now and indeed bound to be on the market cheaper and in greater number in 5 years.. Along With software that sits on a server and does all that for 1/8 of the price.

No reason someone like mr fulluer can't still offer bespoke room correction for folks that use some kind of processing unit upstream of thier dac though Keith , write his own software too. It just won't be a box for you to sell...

Just my opinion.
Christoph will always support the individual IAP unit, so even if you sell it on the new owner will measure the room ,send the measurements to Illusonic and an EQ for their room will be created for them that is part of the service.
Regarding the Kiis and Beolabs yes you are correct to an extent they don't really need the Illusonic , just every other speaker ever created.
Keith.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Christoph will always support the individual IAP unit, so even if you sell it on the new owner will measure the room ,send the measurements to Illusonic and an EQ for their room will be created for them that is part of the service.
Regarding the Kiis and Beolabs yes you are correct to an extent they don't really need the Illusonic , just every other speaker ever created.
Keith.
Yes and in those cases it can be done upstream of the dac and for a lot cheaper ... A lot more upgradable in terms of software and raw processing power not to mention the freedom to chose whom ever you wish to do the room correction , what ever software etc .

Again it all depends on the availability of christoph going forward.. That a unknown I would not bet £20 k on.

That's just my opinion, you have often suggest this product to me so I thought it's about time I told you why I won't be buying one, you believe in the product though I know:)

TBone

Major Contributor
Sounds a lot like some of the technology I was talking about here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19363-Great-article-on-quot-Analogue-Warmth-quot/page7

That had everyone's panties in a bunch.

"All of the characteristics analogue buff's love about analogue, can be emulated with high resolution DSP. But the best part is, it can be disabled with a push of a button when the studio did their job well. Much easier and cheaper than changing out hardware for each album"

Mike, pretentious bullshit isn't knowledge, and your brand of knowledge concerning turntables has long been proven to be zilch; probably about as limited as your overall knowledge of music.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Photograph of the new Weiss dac full width version the Weiss 502 .

Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What's the backside look like?

Top Bottom