• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New speakers for new apartment

haseat

Hi all,

I moved to a new apartment a while back and now finally have the space to upgrade from 2.0 to a 5.0 system. My current speakers are Audio Physic Yara (from around 2005 I guess?), which (in the old apartment) were connected to an Atoll IN100 from 2001. After doing quite a bit of research on this forum I got myself a Denon AVC-X3700H. Due to the age of the Yaras I cannot find a matching center or satellites, so it is time to get new speakers.

I've been reading a lot on this forum and got lots of useful information, but still I am not sure in which direction I should go with the new speakers. As you can see from the pictures, my livingroom is rather big and high, the floor is massive wood and all walls are drywall (without any dampening material behind them, I checked), and bricks behind the drywall. Would e.g. Kef R3/LS50 Meta in combination with one (or two) subwoofers be enough for this room? Or maybe something the size of Kef R7/R11 without subwoofers would be a better fit for the front speakers? My profile is about 50% movies/TV shows and 50% music, but the sound quality in stereo is actually more important to me.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20220107_103317_1.jpg

1641561011061.png

1641561067100.png

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I am far from an expert in these matters, but with a room that complex I think you are going to be far better off including one (or two) subs regardless of what L/R/C speakers you buy. That allows you test out multiple placement options, and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 can work its magic after that. I think it would be much more difficult to achieve the bass extension / quality you want in that room if you limit yourself to just floor standers.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
That sloping ceiling doesn't look like it will help at all. I would be curious how much it effects the sound field. Gorgeous room by the way. I had a pair of Neat Motive speakers that looked similar to those in the picture, although they did slope backwards.

EdTice

Hi all,

Due to the age of the Yaras I cannot find a matching center or satellites, so it is time to get new speakers.
You don't need "matching" centers or satellites. I know nothing about your speakers other than the specs I Googled but they at least spec pretty good. Don't get sold on audiophile nonsense of needing to have all of the speakers be "matched" (same brand and series) for "timbre." If you *want* to replace the mains, that's a different story. Otherwise just add three good speakers and enjoy.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Audio Physic Yara should be similar to current Classic line, so if you like their sound, consider Classic centre and compact models (the latter as surrounds). They do Luna sub, but of course another sub/s will be fine. Again assuming you like your speakers, obviously (I like my Audio Physic). Don't worry that you don't read about them on this forum very often.

Also, very nice looking room.

Top Bottom