• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Toku

Major Contributor
The USB input of the A300 is a simple one that uses the BT module D/A conversion function and is fixed at 48kHz/16bit only.
The sound quality is not very good because the bass is weak. Think of it as a complete bonus feature.
Also, if you shut down the PC with the USB connected to the PC, there will be no response for 30 seconds or more, and then it will shut down.
This is the same behavior as the AO200.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think I'll wait for Amir to bench this one. The trump card is the power obviously. You really need to see the std. noise floor, the resolution (how HIGH is "HIGH RES"???)... I question the filler stuff like half assed BT but I suppose that whats the kiddies want.

Also the manual does say it has USB in... but since it only has type A source and its still going thru some stop gap 16/48 dacs then why bother...

The mono bloc mode is kind of half assed to... going by the manual.

But yeah... I mean if this truly is as powerful and clean as its supposed to be then this is just the start of digital amps using Infineon that are literally 2 to 3 pounds of very high power.

Now going by the IWI review you expect the same kind of lean dry etchy class d 'feel' you always get.

robertospeed

:eek:

SMSL A300.jpg

Kitarist

Anyone knows if any EU shops already have it in stock? Please post a link

Zek

Major Contributor
Anyone knows if any EU shops already have it in stock? Please post a link

longma

It is $150 again on US Amazon. It is sold directly from SMSL. However, the delivery date push to August-September.

maty

Major Contributor
Portapapeles01.png

longma

No brainer for the price.
For $150 on sale on Amazon, or even full price, cannot agree more. It has enough power to drive almost any box speakers. It can be BTL if need more power. It is an integrated amp. It has sub out. It has buildin tone controlled. It has internal power supply ...

nsfgp

Anyone who has both a PA3S and this SMSL A300 (I know at least a couple folks here does).
Can you confirm how is the noise floor level of this A300?? Mine has quite higher noise floor/Tweeter hiss level compared to my PA3S. Not to the point that bothers me but wants to confirm. Probably by design to get more gain/power VS the much reduced gain/power of the PA3S by design making it super quiet.

Anyone has an internal pic of this A300 too?? Any output choke/filter inside?? I have a feeling this thing may not measure too well (similar to the issue of those output choke-less Infineon amp like the A100, etc.)

Toku

Major Contributor
Anyone who has both a PA3S and this SMSL A300 (I know at least a couple folks here does).
Can you confirm how is the noise floor level of this A300?? Mine has quite higher noise floor/Tweeter hiss level compared to my PA3S. Not to the point that bothers me but wants to confirm. Probably by design to get more gain/power VS the much reduced gain/power of the PA3S by design making it super quiet.

Anyone has an internal pic of this A300 too?? Any output choke/filter inside?? I have a feeling this thing may not measure too well (similar to the issue of those output choke-less Infineon amp like the A100, etc.)
How you feel the noise floor level depends greatly on the efficiency of the speakers you are using. Noise may be noticeable with high-efficiency speakers that greatly exceed 90 dB.
The PA3s and A300 use the same Infineon IC chip, but when comparing the data sheets of the MA12070 and MA5332MS, the noise floor level of the MA5332MS is higher.
I use homemade speakers and Quad S-2, but the A300 has a slightly higher noise level. But if you are 20 cm away from the speaker, you can't hear anything.

Inside photo

nsfgp

@Toku thanks for the reply. Yes understand it is speaker dependent. I rotate between 3 pairs of speakers as well and each pair has different noise floor level when using the same partnering gears.

Top Bottom