• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

ca1075

Apart from extra power, any audible benefits that you immediately noticed?
Slightly more dynamic tons of headroom to drive any speaker. Even at low volumes of 55-60 db it sounded great. I tried it with speakers ranging from 85 db - 92 db and I’m amazed by how well it drives them all. The A300 by itself is extremely powerful as well. It’s amazing for such little money. This competes with my Peachtree Nova 300 that was almost 5 x more than 2 of these are A300’s.

Toku

Major Contributor
Slightly more dynamic tons of headroom to drive any speaker. Even at low volumes of 55-60 db it sounded great. I tried it with speakers ranging from 85 db - 92 db and I’m amazed by how well it drives them all. The A300 by itself is extremely powerful as well. It’s amazing for such little money. This competes with my Peachtree Nova 300 that was almost 5 x more than 2 of these are A300’s.
Thank you for posting the report.
I was relieved to see someone who had the same opinion as me about the sound quality of BTL mono.

ca1075

Thank you for posting the report.
I was relieved to see someone who had the same opinion as me about the sound quality of BTL mono.
I also have 2 of the sabaj A8 as well which are very good. They were discontinued for some reason shortly after they came out. Those get really hot for some reason. Almost class A amplifier hot lol. I think the sabaj A20a 2022 replaced the A8. These use the same amplifier chip I believe as the A300. I do like the retro design of them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 147

Toku

Major Contributor
I also have 2 of the sabaj A8 as well which are very good. They were discontinued for some reason shortly after they came out. Those get really hot for some reason. Almost class A amplifier hot lol. I think the sabaj A20a 2022 replaced the A8. These use the same amplifier chip I believe as the A300. I do like the retro design of them.
It turned out that Sabaj's A8 does not operate normally at 100V in Japan due to a design error in the power supply voltage switching circuit. In addition, it became difficult to purchase the ICE pwer 125 ASX2 module, so it was discontinued.
I bought two A8s right after they were released, but I found a mistake in the circuit design and returned them. The A8 was a great amp in terms of design, sound quality and quality.

I bought the A20a 2022, which was released in place of the A8, immediately without hesitation. I bought two A300s in succession because of their good sound quality. The sound quality of both is very similar and I can't tell them apart. I think the sound quality of BTL mono mode is excellent even though it is an inexpensive product.

ca1075

It turned out that Sabaj's A8 does not operate normally at 100V in Japan due to a design error in the power supply voltage switching circuit. In addition, it became difficult to purchase the ICE pwer 125 ASX2 module, so it was discontinued.
I bought two A8s right after they were released, but I found a mistake in the circuit design and returned them. The A8 was a great amp in terms of design, sound quality and quality.

I bought the A20a 2022, which was released in place of the A8, immediately without hesitation. I bought two A300s in succession because of their good sound quality. The sound quality of both is very similar and I can't tell them apart. I think the sound quality of BTL mono mode is excellent even though it is an inexpensive product.
Ok maybe that’s the reason they run so hot. I didn’t realize that there was a voltage issue.

Kikon

Thanks, it's very important for me, before spent money blindly, I always had the idea that double mono could be better in stereo image etc... Knowing that I will have sub doing the bass work, having an extra bit of quality and headroom for the price is pretty temping....

7jm

Screenshot_20220704-193001.png

Audiophonics has this down as having the older mereus 12070 chips. I'm guessing that this is incorrect? I have a topping pa3s with the aforementioned infineon chip and I'm quite happy with it driving Elac dbr62 but am considering this amp for extra power, remote, bt and tone adjustments.
Anyone with experience of the older chipset with comparisons to this.

ca1075

View attachment 216433

Audiophonics has this down as having the older mereus 12070 chips. I'm guessing that this is incorrect? I have a topping pa3s with the aforementioned infineon chip and I'm quite happy with it driving Elac dbr62 but am considering this amp for extra power, remote, bt and tone adjustments.
I don’t think that this is correct but it really doesn’t say on the SMSL Website.

Toku

Major Contributor
View attachment 216433

I know this article. They are completely wrong. Maybe I heard the name of Infineon and wrote MA12070 in the article.
The A300 uses the same Infineon but a new MA5332 MS chip.

ca1075

I know this article. They are completely wrong. Maybe I heard the name of Infineon and wrote MA12070 in the article.
The A300 uses the same Infineon but a new MA5332 MS chip.
I emailed SMSL and this is what they said in response to what chip is being used. “The details that are not provided are the secrets of the factory, which we cannot know.”

I’m not sure what the big secret is!?

Toku

Major Contributor
I emailed SMSL and this is what they said in response to what chip is being used. “The details that are not provided are the secrets of the factory, which we cannot know.”

That's SMSL's usual meaningless secret policy.
Why keep the amp chip secret in SMSL when the Sabaj A20a 2022 exposes the amp chip? This is the reason why I don't trust SMSL more than other brands.
As you may know, SMSL, Sabaj and Loxjie are companies of the same SMSL group and have the same parent company. We share product design and parts used. The design of the amplifier part of A300 and A20a 2022 is the same. AO200, DA-9, A20a have the same relationship.
Although it is the same group company, Sabaj is very kind and answers questions politely. The correspondence between these two brands is exactly the opposite.
HiFi Express always gives you information on new products as soon as possible, but there are quite a lot of mistakes in the description by speculation.

question
Is your A300's BTL dual mono connection a master-slave method using the BTL-R output described by SMSL?

Last edited:

ca1075

Why keep the amp chip secret in SMSL when the Sabaj A20a 2022 exposes the amp chip? This is the reason why I don't trust SMSL more than other brands.
As you may know, SMSL, Sabaj and Loxjie are companies of the same SMSL group and have the same parent company. We share product design and parts used. The design of the amplifier part of A300 and A20a 2022 is the same. AO200, DA-9, A20a have the same relationship.
Although it is the same group company, Sabaj is very kind and answers questions politely. The correspondence between these two brands is exactly the opposite.
HiFi Express always gives you information on new products as soon as possible, but there are quite a lot of mistakes in the description by speculation.

question
Is your A300's BTL dual mono connection a master-slave method using the BTL-R output described by SMSL?

question
I tried the master slave method (BTL-R) at first but didn’t care for it. I also tried your recommendation using the two A300s independently without the BTL-R connection and prefer it better. The master slave method is a little funky.

Toku

Major Contributor
I tried the master slave method (BTL-R) at first but didn’t care for it. I also tried your recommendation using the two A300s independently without the BTL-R connection and prefer it better. The master slave method is a little funky.
I agree. Therefore, R-ch and L-ch are individually set to BTL and used.

Toku

Major Contributor
Today I discovered that the two A300 displays I purchased had a malfunction. The symptoms are exactly the same for both units.
When you operate the MENU with the remote control, the characters of each item sometimes become abnormal display. If you press the <> button to display it again, it will be normal.
Mysteriously, the symptom does not occur when operating with the MENU button on the panel.
Well, I don't operate it often, so it's not a big obstacle.

Attachments

• IMG_3956.jpg
    IMG_3956.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 227

regan

Would opening the case solve the mistery? Or the chip name is not available even with the open case?

ca1075

I emailed 4 different sellers at Ali express and 3 of them said the same thing pretty much. The factory hasn’t provided the information. One of the responses did say that the chip used is the MA5332M.

Attachments

• E817A06F-E034-4546-A3FA-0876F9F5069E.png
    E817A06F-E034-4546-A3FA-0876F9F5069E.png
    456.7 KB · Views: 160
  • BAFF04F5-8C6B-45E3-9635-ABFDF7CFA223.png
    BAFF04F5-8C6B-45E3-9635-ABFDF7CFA223.png
    555.6 KB · Views: 159

ca1075

Today I discovered that the two A300 displays I purchased had a malfunction. The symptoms are exactly the same for both units.
When you operate the MENU with the remote control, the characters of each item sometimes become abnormal display. If you press the <> button to display it again, it will be normal.
Mysteriously, the symptom does not occur when operating with the MENU button on the panel.
Well, I don't operate it often, so it's not a big obstacle.
That stinks. Honestly when I first powered one of them up for the 1st time I swore the same thing happened for a second with the blue lettering on the screen but I haven’t noticed it since.

Top Bottom