• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Schiit. With measurements.

lc155

Yeah, the Atom line-out with pre-amp functionality is a lot better and user-friendly. But you'd need a DAC to go with it :) The DX3 is a good all rounder, but has ~10ohm output impedance. Should this ever be a problem, you could fix it with external amp but then you're at separates once again.

Yeah, just read the DX3 review. Honestly, the 3.5mm port kinda kills it for me. Ticked all the right boxes except that, would prefer a larger standard size. I really liked the idea of switching via a remote as one thing that always terrifies me about standard lineout switching is I'll one day forget to turn the volume down before unplugging headphones and shotgunning my ears with the speakers.

A shame, as this unit looked compact enough to velcro under the desk as well to completely eliminate clutter.

OP
Veri

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah, just read the DX3 review. Honestly, the 3.5mm port kinda kills it for me. Ticked all the right boxes except that, would prefer a larger standard size. I really liked the idea of switching via a remote as one thing that always terrifies me about standard lineout switching is I'll one day forget to turn the volume down before unplugging headphones and shotgunning my ears with the speakers.

A shame, as this unit looked compact enough to velcro under the desk as well to completely eliminate clutter.
What you could also do, is get the Atom and connect it via a 3.5mm cable to a small dongle like the Meizu Hifi USB-C or the HIDIZS S8. Then you'd have a DAC+amp in a very small package. I use the $25 Meizu at work and it sounds very good, all the DAC one would ever need. The JDS Atom (or magni heresy) in turn, could then solve all your amplification needs :)

Just an idea.

lc155

What you could also do, is get the Atom and connect it via a 3.5mm cable to a small dongle like the Meizu Hifi USB-C or the HIDIZS S8. Then you'd have a DAC+amp in a very small package. I use the $25 Meizu at work and it sounds very good, all the DAC one would ever need. The JDS Atom (or magni heresy) in turn, could then solve all your amplification needs :)

Just an idea.

Does sound like a neat idea. I suppose I will need to go back to the drawing board; won't need to buy for quite a while anyway (and everything will probably be in shortage due to nCov anyway). The Asgard 3 was just the first thing I saw that ticked all the major boxes.

I do like the idea of a small package taped under the desk where volume control is easily reached rather than leaning over the desk (as I'd have to do with an Asgard anyway since it would be far too hot). Truthfully, I could probably tape both an Atom amp and dac under the desk to hide them anyway, but hmm...

(Now if only I hadn't come across the Topping's switching via remote feature lol).

McLambo

Basically the Magni 3+ and Asgard 3 are the same circuit except:

Asgard has onboard power supply (Magni 3+ has external wallwart)
Asgard has a bit more power (only 1.4dB to 2dB more so negligible in a practical sense)
Asgard is bit bigger in size and weight (more substantial amp)
Asgard has a MUCH better volpot.
Asgard can also add a DAC or phono card.

All of this for a mere $100.- more.

The 'more satisfying sound' is not by technical nature but caused by the size, weight and feel of the volpot. One has a more 'substantial' feel and the brain automatically translates this to the aural sensation. If both were behind a curtain the same folks would not be able to tell.
Some folks 'believe' volpots have a sound and a more beefy transformer close to the caps will have benefits to the sound.

remember that most headphones draw just a few mW in normal listening situations so there really is no 'power' to speak of.
Peaks can be more demanding but these do not come from the transformer but out of the reservoir caps.
Thanks for this!

Smychavo

What is the significance of having a better volpot? Is it entirely in the feel of it, or are there other benefits of it? I will say that it does feel nice, but the main reason I bought my A3 was the built in power supply, and the marginally higher power delivery.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the significance of having a better volpot? Is it entirely in the feel of it, or are there other benefits of it? I will say that it does feel nice, but the main reason I bought my A3 was the built in power supply, and the marginally higher power delivery.

Barring technicalities such as pot impedance and logarithmic vs linear attenuation, it's the feel and the lack of scratching sound as you turn-up or down the pot. The best of the pots of in the market such as the Alps RK50 (I've used this pot quite a couple times before on quite a couple of amps) have a really good channel balance characteristics that even at the lowest threshold of hearing, there is zero channel balance that is audible (may show up on measurements though)

Top Bottom