• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Its progress, but is pricey. Can have the Buckeye monoblock for $1150. Going to struggle with DIYing for that.:oops:
That's the issue- pricey through retail channels. Wish someone would put the eval 4 in a ghent case with speakons and sell that for ~$1200....

pogo

Major Contributor
Para. 2.3.2 of the datasheet has also not yet been taken into account in the current implementations. There is still room for improvement here, as well as with a better psu.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the datasheet to me the most impressive part are these distortion elements below -130dB both on the low and high frequency range, from low power 10W up to 400W! This is crazy! o_O

Screenshot_20240508_060723_Drive.jpg

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see the monoblock on their website?

It is not shipping yet, I quoted from here…

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea why they are quoting the power at 0.1% THD+N instead of the 1% "standard" that the industry and themselves have been using until now?

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now we just need a optimized power supply from purifi and amps are done.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea why they are quoting the power at 0.1% THD+N instead of the 1% "standard" that the industry and themselves have been using until now?

I can ask but probably just a bit of marketing. Personally think the clipping point is the better answer.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now we just need a optimized power supply from purifi and amps are done.

A Purifi SMPS seems unlikely unless Bruno sees some major advantage to doing one. Would make more sense to rebrand from a volume producer. Otherwise, it is just more work for a bit more convenience (and mainly for the DIY market). OEMs will look to whoever produces supplies with the best price/performance.

BergeHiFi

A Purifi SMPS seems unlikely unless Bruno sees some major advantage to doing one. Would make more sense to rebrand from a volume producer. Otherwise, it is just more work for a bit more convenience (and mainly for the DIY market). OEMs will look to whoever produces supplies with the best price/performance.

Purifi has confirmed several times that they are working on a PSU.
Last I heard was next year, so its not close.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purifi has confirmed several times that they are working on a PSU.
Last I heard was next year, so its not close.

Sure, but optimized for which amp? My question is somewhat rhetorical btw as each needs different rail voltages to maximize output. This is another reason why it makes less sense for Purifi to do themselves. Falls under "just because you can, does not mean you should."

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC Purifi was developing a variable output SMPS and working through the necessary certifications.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC Purifi was developing a variable output SMPS and working through the necessary certifications.

Excuse my skepticism. ;)

Got a pic or any evidence of more than a shadowy potential?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have agreed with you but back in March 2023 Bruno gave an interview

where he mentions that a forthcoming project is power supplies for his amplifiers (look from 21-07 onwards). Haven’t heard anything since then so who knows!

Thanks! Agree would be nice to see something more tangible. His statements reflect my own. Is more to round out the product line, but that could be done by contracting out. If no audible benefit, would rather see his talent applied to a DSP or something that be more audibly beneficial.:)

Reactions: EdW

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks! Agree would be nice to see something more tangible. His statements reflect my own. Is more to round out the product line, but that could be done by contracting out. If no audible benefit, would rather see his talent applied to a DSP or something that be more audibly beneficial.:)
Purifi is seen by their shareholders as a tech company. Meaning that they have to innovate. Per my understanding, this power supply is indeed innovative, reason why it's development takes so much time. Not due to the development itself but more to the challenge to get the various worldwide certification bodies analyzing and validating the new concept.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purifi is seen by their shareholders as a tech company. Meaning that they have to innovate. Per my understanding, this power supply is indeed innovative, reason why it's development takes so much time. Not due to the development itself but more to the challenge to get the various worldwide certification bodies analyzing and validating the new concept.

Ok great, but can you plan to build anything with one in the near future? Bruno already stated the current amp designs already deal with the power supply noise. Unlikely Purifi will be a value leader.. Am pragmatic about this stuff and like others, have seen ideas get killed even with the best intentions. Yes, certs take time too, but in the meanwhile, is anybody going to wait for the Purifi SMPS? I don't think so.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Bruno himself said that the modules are designed to be as much as possible independent of the PS noise. So his new SMPS would be more of a convenience solution for manufacturers by having a multi output single SKU, one stop shop product to order along with the other items. But should be hardly groundbreaking in terms of audio performance or value added to the end customer.

Until they finally merge the 2 together in a single board, more entry level price, and an NCore MP competitor is born.

Last edited:

EdW

I had some discussion with the Purifi team at the Munich show.

The SMPS won't show up soon.
Bruno and Purifi give us plenty of warning before a new product becomes available to purchase!
@mocenigo gave us the ‘heads up’ on the forthcoming 1ET9040 and even provided a picture, at the start of this thread 2 years ago and we still can’t buy it.
So I’m fairly certain that there will be business for MicroAudio producing SMPS with perhaps improved performance to Hypex for a little time yet . .
Though I’m not sure what advantages the Purifi SMPS might confer. Improved efficiency? Unlikely to improve amplifier performance since the 1ET9040 design is robust to power rail noise according to Bruno.

Top Bottom