• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Up to +/-50V no problems, then voltage protection will intervene. +/-48V is the recommended maximum. So +/-46V is absolutely safe.

I want to add that this is a full bridge design, so bus pumping issues should be mitigated.

Roberto

pogo

Major Contributor
Let's see if NAD, T+A and Lyngdorf also introduce the second Purifi generation with their own PSUs.
It worked very well with the first generation ;)

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The difference between the SMPS1200A180/400/700 is only the voltage of the rails. Power stays the same, a.k.a 1200 W. The 1ET9040BA takes rails of +/- 45V, so the SMPS1200A180 is the good fit. The A400 and A700 have too high rails.
Even if 'limited' to 1200 W, an amp equipped with the 1ET9040BA is measurably better than all the alternative you quoted.
Thank you for the explanation!
It'll be interesting to see the different implementations. Maybe this time Purifi comes out with their own power supply later this year?

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Too bad that there is no 45V version of the SMPS3k...
Both Connex and Micro-Audio make 2000W SMPS with +40V outputs. I think Connex offer +45V as an option.
Once this amplifier module becomes available, I'm sure there will be more options.
Once Hypex released the NCx500 (7uV output noise), progress was a bit more incremental with Nilai (9uV) and Purifi (11uV).
The 1ET9040BA seems to be a leap forwards in every respect - less noise than the quietest, less distortion than the cleanest, and more powerful than the biggest.
The chart on Audiophonics looks consistent with the charts in posts #67 and 100.
The noise figure of 4.6uV is presumably output noise, and the gain is about 5x, so that output noise is equivalent to around 1 uV input noise.
With an 8 ohm SINAD nudging 130dB and DNR 140dB, this sounds like a power amp that actually beats any DAC or pre-amp.
Colour me interested.
Nick

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sure, using a 2kW SMPS without any safety certification or with a loosy one looks like a good plan for a responsible manufacturer.
The Micro Audio is a fantastic option. And comes with safety certifications.
So yes, a good plan for a manufacturer indeed.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Last time I checked I did not find any ambient temperature specified in the datasheet. Did you manage to pass a safety certification with no ambient temp specified for a safety critical component? If yes, please let me know what organism did this.
You’re more than free to connect with MA with any of your concerns. But they do have multiple safety and compliance certifications for their products.

:)

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sure, using a 2kW SMPS without any safety certification or with a loosy one looks like a good plan for a responsible manufacturer.

I don't understand the idea behind following me and attacking my products without evidence.

All products have safety certificates and we don't sell uncertified products.

This is the second or third time I have spotted you attacking me & my products.

Please don't attack me or my products again.

I will report your post

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I don't understand the idea behind following me and attacking my products without evidence.

All products have safety certificates and we don't sell uncertified products.

This is the second or third time I have spotted you attacking me & my products.

Please don't attack me or my products again.

I will report your post
He is not attacking you he is questioning your quality and safety certificates. Instead of demanding he stop because you are hurt is not how a scientific debate works. It’s your turn to refute his claims by proving scientific and/or engineering studies that provide evidence that he is incorrect. You stamping your feet on the ground just won’t cut it here. Make your case and provide evidence that your products are Safety certified. Surely if they are Certified as you claim. It should be easy to provide photo copies or PDF’s of the Product SafetyCertifications. ;)

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
@AdamG

Thank you for the clarification.

The safety certificate for the SMPS2K will be released soon as this is a new product and its not even sold to the DIY community.

SMPS2K will get certified after the CNY.

He can check the safety certificate for the SMPS1K in the datasheet.

He is always concerned about the safety of my products, and never got concerned about CONNEX ELECTRONICS for example witch makes me understand that he is targeting me personally.

Thanks

Sokel

Master Contributor
@AdamG

Thank you for the clarification.

The safety certificate for the SMPS2K will be released soon as this is a new product and its not even sold to the DIY community.

He can check the safety certificate for the SMPS1K in the datasheet.

He is always concerned about the safety of my products, and never got concerned about CONNEX ELECTRONICS for example witch makes me understand that he is targeting me personally.

Thanks
If that gives you some comfort and because probably you don't read much of the other reviews,safety certifications,their origin and how genuine and from who independent organizations are published is a permanent concern here.

And for a good reason(s),below is a part of Bill Whitlock's paper:

BW.PNG

I think is more good than bad for any business to provide anything concerning safety.

goryu

What is the "CNY"? When will this happen? Since I have one of these on the way to my home, I am a bit concerned that it has yet to be safety certified.

MAB

Major Contributor
What is the "CNY"? When will this happen? Since I have one of these on the way to my home, I am a bit concerned that it has yet to be safety certified.
CNY = Chinese New Year!
I don't think you have an issue. Unless the SMPS fails the certification process.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Seems like someone has put the cart before the horse.
I would suggest moving the SMPS2k discussion as it stands to the NCx500 thread as it is a bit off topic for this threads purpose.

Also, not at all. I am always happy to offer a full refund for your order if you'd like though.

goryu

I would suggest moving the SMPS2k discussion as it stands to the NCx500 thread as it is a bit off topic for this threads purpose.

Also, not at all. I am always happy to offer a full refund for your order if you'd like though.

Aren't these things normally certified before they are sold for use? Wouldn't doing otherwise make for some substantial liability?

Chinese New Year is in 2 days. Let's see what happens with the certification.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Aren't these things normally certified before they are sold for use? Wouldn't doing otherwise make for some substantial liability?

Just an FYI that the CNY celebration/holiday usually lasts for one to two weeks in terms of its impact on manufacturing and other industrial businesses. And the certification process after that isn't a quick process, either.

In terms of liability...if this was someone building a contraption in a basement or with no track record, absolutely I would be very weary. But MA has a proven track record of all their previous designs along with successful business among very large OEM companies (well larger than any of us on these forums). And the 2kW has been tested and tortured to death many different times. The final certification is, quite honestly, a formality at this point.

I really am trying not to crowd this thread with unrelated talk. Am happy to answer questions in the appropriate thread or via PM.

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor

The certification process usually takes 45 days after the CNY, that if the testing laboratory is not busy.

The SMPS2K certificate will be issued and sent to Dylan.

Thank you.

Top Bottom