• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Reactions: EdW

EdW

Given that the prices of these next "wonders" at SOTA performance are likely to be very salty and prickly, I expect to see suitable power supplies, and above all ones that will last over time. If I see cheap Chinese capacitors ... I won't buy.

Absolutely right!
perhaps I’m just being way too optimistic, I reckon that a Purifi 9040 amp constructed with a SOTA PSU and assembled in a great case will still seem very reasonably priced compared to top of the range class AB amp offering significantly less performance

EdW

Quoted post deleted by Moderator. This post was removed because it is Marketing related and that is not permitted outside of the Desperate Dealers Section of our forum.
That kind of pricing is incredible! A lot of high end amplifier manufacturers will have to call in favours from their youtube reviewers. But some folks will still buy a $20K+ monoblock - because they reckon that’s what their system needs :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
As a reminded to our resident Vendors. You can discuss the technology and related performance and specifications in any thread. We ask that you refrain from posting about your specific pricing and marketing information outside of the Desperate Dealers section of the site.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is going to be expensive. But it does not have the name d’Agostino on it. So it will cost much less than a kidney.
:D
d'Agostino: kidney. Wilson:lung. AudioQuest: counterfeit $1000 bill.
On a more serious note, this is all nice and fun, great the state of the art is advancing, yada yada yada. However, I fail to feel too excited. This stuff is still somewhat expensive in the real world. ¿When can we get something in between the excellent value but sonically imperfect* Aiyima's of the world and stuff that is $$$?
(Like I dunno 2x100/8Ω for $200 or something? Or 5x200 for not thousands?)

*at least measured. Sounds fine for casual use.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
:D
d'Agostino: kidney. Wilson:lung. AudioQuest: counterfeit $1000 bill.
On a more serious note, this is all nice and fun, great the state of the art is advancing, yada yada yada. However, I fail to feel too excited. This stuff is still somewhat expensive in the real world. ¿When can we get something in between the excellent value but sonically imperfect* Aiyima's of the world and stuff that is $$$?
(Like I dunno 2x100/8Ω for $200 or something? Or 5x200 for not thousands?)

*at least measured. Sounds fine for casual use.
The lower cost items are mostly based on chip amps which tend to have finite upper power constraints; the more expensive items use a discrete and often self oscillating approach which probably puts a constraint on how cheap it can be made.

Older Class D amplifier designs can be had for relatively low prices, so perhaps these fill the gap.

TheWalkman

Serious question: whats the real size of the target market for a product like this?

Full disclosure: I have a PURIFI 1ET400A based amp that will push over 225 watts into 8 ohms but to be honest, I rarely, “open up” the amp. Fifty watts of clean power probably would meet 95% of my listening needs.

Would owning this amp be analogous to owning a Tesla Plaid with 1000 plus horsepower under the hood but nowhere to really use the power? Frankly, having driven a Plaid, it would be fun to occasionally put your foot to the floor to impress your pals with, but I’m not sure I’d want to own one. Same feeling with an amp of this level of power.

Is this module the equivalent of owning a modern super car that’s more about knowing the capabilities than actually a practical solution to a real need? Is this really about one-upping Hypex and bragging rights?

If there’s a forum for people that need 1500+ watts, I’m sure you’ll set the record straight and tell me that there really is a market for amps based on this module.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Serious question: whats the real size of the target market for a product like this?

Full disclosure: I have a PURIFI 1ET400A based amp that will push over 225 watts into 8 ohms but to be honest, I rarely, “open up” the amp. Fifty watts of clean power probably would meet 95% of my listening needs.

Would owning this amp be analogous to owning a Tesla Plaid with 1000 plus horsepower under the hood but nowhere to really use the power? Frankly, having driven a Plaid, it would be fun to occasionally put your foot to the floor to impress your pals with, but I’m not sure I’d want to own one. Same feeling with an amp of this level of power.

Is this module the equivalent of owning a modern super car that’s more about knowing the capabilities than actually a practical solution to a real need? Is this really about one-upping Hypex and bragging rights?

If there’s a forum for people that need 1500+ watts, I’m sure you’ll set the record straight and tell me that there really is a market for amps based on this module.
Just a quick question.
What will happen to those 50 clean watt if EQ will need to fill a dip at 40Hz with 3db for example?

And that fill will need to stay in check with 20-30db peaks over average music often has.
And that's only a couple of examples.
You can never have too much power,Amir is right about it.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can the 9040 drive an Infinity Kappa 9A with an impedance of less than 1ohm?
Would have to test to verify but an integrator I work with uses the 7040SA without issue on speakers with a sub 1ohm dip.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Can the 9040 drive an Infinity Kappa 9A with an impedance of less than 1ohm?

These amps are all stable until near short circuit. They are simply limited by current and voltage, and by the power supply. (At least, this is what Bruno Putzeys told me!)

Last edited:

BKr0n

Any word yet on release date or no?

andrew

The one and only advantage of the 7040 over the 1ET400A is the power in very difficult loads. All the other metrics are equal or not as good. The 9040 is better than the 1ET400A for all the metrics (at the exception of price).
So does the 7040 have an advantage over the 9040 for difficult loads? Or is the reverse true?

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
They have the same capability with difficult loads. The 9040 is able to play a bit louder (1.5 dB if memory serves) in "normal" loads.

This, and a noise level reduced to that of a SotA DAC o_O

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It will be interesting to see if they can scratch a bit more efficiency, which I reckon it must not be an easy task.

Top Bottom