• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
The Mola Mola is hideously overpriced. My other comments were about the equipment in the video, not purifi. You can fanboy all you like, but $12000 for a difference you can’t hear is dumb.

I still say: it is beautiful and sounds perfectly. At least it is not well packaged crap. If you do not like it, do not buy it.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Thanks for clarifying but is not how I understood your post initially.

Fanboy or not, Bruno is not dumb and keeps Purifi clear of indirectly endorsing some other DAC.:cool:

They still travel and demo with that one and a Topping D90.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still say: it is beautiful and sounds perfectly. At least it is not well packaged crap. If you do not like it, do not buy it.
moving-goalpost.gif

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thick and do not understand the meaning of this :)
I doubt you are thick, but perhaps it's a language thing. "Moving the goalposts" is an expression we use when the conclusion under examination keeps changing.

Most egregiously overpriced equipment is very well packaged, and much of it is not crap and performs quite well. My point on the Mola Mola is that sonically it is not worth it. But my original point was mostly about all the expensive third party cables, tortured kilobuck speaker housings, and other nonsense in the video, none of which came from purifi.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I doubt you are thick, but perhaps it's a language thing. "Moving the goalposts" is an expression we use when the conclusion under examination keeps changing.

Ha! I know the expression.

I agree that only for sonic purposes it is not worth spending more for the Tambaqui than for a Topping D90.

zalayetadk

NAD M23 is now on sale in DK (17% off), and it is only available for demo in a few shops, which is unusual.

Could be a sign that something new is coming..

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is ridiculous, it's like a DAC with kilowatt output!

TheWalkman

This is ridiculous, it's like a DAC with kilowatt output!

I can see how it might be very easy to inadvertently leave the volume knob turned up, accidentally releasing the Magical Blue Smoke Genie. Not going there!

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also there is the Hypex SMPS1200A180 that supplies +/- 46V which should be just above the upper limit +/- 45V of these modules (or SMPS1200A100 with +/- 36V to play it safe?).

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really hope purifi can develop their own power supplies soon

pogo

Major Contributor
I really hope purifi can develop their own power supplies soon
This is not Purifi's core competence or have I missed something here?
Companies like T+A, Lyngdorf, Aurender, NAD, ... will show here what you can get out of a 2nd generation Purifi. The implementations of the 1st generation have already worked well there.

EdW

This is not Purifi's core competence or have I missed something here?
Companies like T+A, Lyngdorf, Aurender, NAD, ... will show here what you can get out of a 2nd generation Purifi. The implementations of the 1st generation have already worked well there.
I saw somewhere an interview with Bruno Putzeys where he mused over designing an SMPS as a next project. As I recall he regarded this as a little less challenging than designing SOTA amplifiers.
But a power unit designed and constructed to high standards would certainly move Purifi amps into the super league giving purchasers piece of mind when they connect the amplifier to extremely expensive loudspeakers.

Top Bottom