• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi 6.5 midwoofer

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purifi is previewing a new woofer and a couple of midranges based on the same improved IM tech as the original offerings.

Here is the pic of the new woofer sporting an aluminum cone and better T/S parameters for vented alignments.

1631740924696.png

More details here. One negative is a yet even higher price than the paper versions!

Last edited:

milan616

Forum Donor
Rick, do you know the reasoning for the four little mountain ranges in the surrounds?

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rick, do you know the reasoning for the four little mountain ranges in the surrounds?
  • Low Surround Radiation Distortion
    • The surround contributes to sound output. Conventional surrounds produce distortion as they deform. PURIFI’s Neutral Surround geometry avoids this mechanism without constraining motion. This reduces harmonic distortion as well as intermodulation distortion.

Lorenzo74

Purifi is previewing a new woofer and a couple of midranges based on the same improved IM tech as the original offerings.

Here is the pic of the new woofer sporting an aluminum cone and better T/S parameters for vented alignments.

View attachment 153577

More details here. One negative is a yet even higher price than the paper versions!
Let’s have a look at this implementation

@amirm any chance to get your hands on one of troels‘ creatures?
my Best Regards
Lorenzo

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
At least performance seems to be slightly better as well. H2 seems to have been reduced, and midrange distortion in the 1-3 kHz range is basically rivalling the 3" dome in the KH310 now! (It wouldn't have the same insane level handling though, power handling would be limiting things around 108 dB SPL.)

Postlan

They will release 4"? It could be a direct competitor to Neumann, and finally ATC.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recent interesting article published by AudioExpress and posted to Purifi website…

bolserst

Thanks for link to article!

You can also hear a description of purpose of the surround geometry in Erin's interview with Lars Risbo of Purifi (46:27 thru 57:00)
46:27 - Erin asks question beginning discussion of Purifi’s very unique surround. Lars begins answer with Christmas disappointment anecdote about how after making major improvements in magnetic circuit and motor hoped for distortion reduction ‘barely moved’. This led to investigations into distortion contribution by the surround flying under the radar. Again this led to rediscovery and use of research industry previously ignored.

The previous research mentioned was part of the Danish LoDist project.
See this AES Convention paper for more details.
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=7684

Biblob

Hold your beers!

Lars Risbp from Purifi Audio promoted there will be a 8" version of the Purifi woofer! See this post

Hi Piotr, good news is that a paper version of our coming 8" will probably meet your 90dB/W (aka 8 ohms) sensitivity and it has 10mm linear stroke and an Sd of 233cm2 so can move quite some air. I am polishing the design in simulations currently.

Why would you prefer to linearise Bl using the gap/magnet rather than our variable winding pitch method? There is more to it than Bl(x) since we also need to keep inductance independent of position.

Cheers,

Lars​

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are defects! Same as Genelec woofers' :):):)

Yevhen

Forum Donor

View attachment 153577

Do you personally like the sound of Purifi speakers? As I understand, you've tried a lot.
I've used their woofer with different tweeters but still for some reason prefer the sound of 2x cheaper Wavecor or Satori woofers.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you personally like the sound of Purifi speakers? As I understand, you've tried a lot.
I've used their woofer with different tweeters but still for some reason prefer the sound of 2x cheaper Wavecor or Satori woofers.

TBH, do not have any good contemporary reference for comparison with the Purifi woofer. Also my major listening time with them has been with the SB passive radiator. Without a comparo where it is the only difference between 2 speakers, would be reluctant to pass judgement.

Otoh, have not heard anything I would consider a major flaw at this point. :cool:

Savi

I have never neither purifi or satori but you read hificompass review on its website. He gives objective measurement and its subjective impression of purifi vs satori vs scanpeak.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had a small window to get in a measurement and listen to these but will have to wait....

The inner diameter is larger than the paper cone version, so my attempt to swap into Directiva r1 failed.

My speaker measurement lab (aka the Sykora family room) needs to be set up for holiday entertaining. Will try again after Christmas.

Happy Holidays!

Rick

Last edited:

bigjacko

Hi guys,
just wanted to let you know that the new Purifi aluminium cone midwoofer is excellent. I am in the middle of testing it in my active studio monitor prototypes and i couldn´t be happier. Highly recommended!View attachment 173477
It looks like a monster:p. What are the drivers and dimension of the box?

Top Bottom