• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL AO300 but with about double the power?

tjd

Looking for recommendations for something like the SMSL AO300 but with about double the power, ideally getting as clean as the Topping LA90 but peaking at 100 watts at 8 ohms.

The only audio input will ever be HDMI ARC. Source would be a modern 4k TV that has native e/ARC. I only need 2.1 speakers, a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9 v7's (8ohm, 150w max) and a Monoprice SW-12 powered sub.

I don't need a DAC, phono, etc, just clean Class D ARC amplification with a sub out.

Thoughts?

P.S. Cross posted to reddit /BudgetAudiophile

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @tjd! Welcome to ASR.

Looking for recommendations for something like the SMSL AO300 but with about double the power, ideally getting as clean as the Topping LA90 but peaking at 100 watts at 8 ohms.
The AO300 can output 85W at 8Ω.
Are you looking for double the power (170W at 8Ω), or 100W as stated?

If 100W is enough, then, realistically, so will 85W. That extra 15W only gets you 5% more volume.

Last edited:
OP
T

tjd

Yes, would like more than the speakers max rating. Was previously driving them with an Onkyo at 75wpc and at high volume they lost clarity. If I can find something in the 150W to 200W range that would be ideal, knowing that normally I'd be driving it in its cleanest bottom 25% range, but enough available overhead to occasionally push it harder without distortion.

Louie

The only audio input will ever be HDMI ARC. Source would be a modern 4k TV that has native e/ARC. I only need 2.1 speakers, a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9 v7's (8ohm, 150w max) and a Monoprice SW-12 powered sub.

I don't need a DAC, phono, etc, just clean Class D ARC amplification with a sub out.

Thoughts?

P.S. Cross posted to reddit /BudgetAudiophile
Get two A300 and use in bridge mode

OP
T

tjd

Hi @Louie

I was asking about the AO300 specifically because of the ARC being the primary audio source. I don't see BTL as an option on the AO300 similar to the A300, but maybe I'm mistaken?

Top Bottom