• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product - SMSL AO300

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Hey I'm new here relax,,,, I'll take that as a no then......
I wasn't rude my friend, I asked a genuine question. Why read into it? I guess people are so used to poor quality social interactions on the Internet that they just automatically make assumptions. Shame.

khuntim

Spent some time with my friend and the AO300, I like the way it sounds with the Wiim and Tidal. He has small Wharfdale speakers.

Have to fuss with it to get ARC input to work from LG TV. we updated to the latest firmware found here and have tried every setting possible on the LG TV, using both Laptop and Firestick inputs.

About the same maybe a bit harder to connect to ARC input now.

I think it's the TV, we may try factory reset.

A week or so and no reply from SMSL

Andyet

I have problem with ARC and LG TV too. Totally no sound, smsl show on display „connected”. Someone resolved this problem?

DmitryL

I have problem with ARC and LG TV too. Totally no sound, smsl show on display „connected”. Someone resolved this problem?
First - turn off TV and AMP, use cable included in package, turn on AMP, turn on TV.
If the problem persists, update AMP with latest firmware from my post.

insomnia12

I’m on the latest firmware release in this thread. I encountered loud static noise in ARC which can resolved by on/off either by controller or the switch behind. This model seems quite problematic with the ARC connection. Might switch to optical.

VadimBN

I encountered loud static noise in ARC
This amplifier is not grounded. The internal power socket has three pins, but the ground pin is not connected. Thus, low-frequency static noise can be eliminated by using a small piece of wire, one side of which is soldered to the ground pin of the power socket, and the other side is clamped under a nearby screw. It may be helpful only if your wall power outlets have grounding pins.
The Loxije A40 amplifier has a similar layout, but also it have the internal phono amplifier for a vynil players. And i think that for this model problem of static noise was more actual, and their engineers have made a separate grounding contact for eliminate it.

Last edited:

khuntim

I’m on the latest firmware release in this thread. I encountered loud static noise in ARC which can resolved by on/off either by controller or the switch behind. This model seems quite problematic with the ARC connection. Might switch to optical.
What TV are you using? As far as I know no big disadvantage to using optical since the amp only supports PCM. The amp doesn't have CEC, although the volume will lower when you lower the TV volume, but it's not really changing the volume of the amp. I'd like to know if any advantages to audio using HDMI myself. this LG has eARC switch, audio is the same - on or off.

SMSL has not posted new official firmware yet.

VadimBN

I'd like to know if any advantages to audio using HDMI myself
This amplifier has no advantages. It have no eARC extensions, at least with current firmware. Even HDMI CEC not fully supported there, so HDMI is just an additional switched input.
I believe that eARC is not needed here, it assumes the output of uncompressed multi-channel 5.1 and 7.1 audio via HDMI, and this is only stereo amlifier. eARC is backward compatible with ARC, so your TV works with it when eARC is turned on

khuntim

This amplifier has no advantages. It have no eARC extensions, at least with current firmware. Even HDMI CEC not fully supported there, so HDMI is just an additional switched input.
I believe that eARC is not needed here, it assumes the output of uncompressed multi-channel 5.1 and 7.1 audio via HDMI, and this is only stereo amlifier. eARC is backward compatible with ARC, so your TV works with it when eARC is turned on
This makes sense.. hopefully SMSL will release an update at some point, ARC input is a bit buggy for some of us.

JuicyJason

First - turn off TV and AMP, use cable included in package, turn on AMP, turn on TV.
If the problem persists, update AMP with latest firmware from my post.
Thanks Dmitry,
The firmware I got from the SMSL site (SMSL_AO300_UPDATE_OVOA1_EN) caused my HDMI ARC to stop working,
The one you linked got HDMI working again for me,
Also stopped the static and popping noise I was getting with the original firmware that came out of the box.

j5i7

I just bought this, but it'll probably be going back as there's an annoying high pitch whine that's very noticeable in the nearfield (desk setup) coming out of both speakers. The whine doesn't vary with varying volume on the amp. Additionally, the whine isn't affected by any mode on the amp other than going away when the amp is off or in standby. The whine comes back as soon as the unit is powered on from standby and takes about 10 seconds to come on after powering on from the switch on the back.

I've done the official firmware update and the latest firmware update on this forum without a noticeable change. I'll see if the seller has any recommendations, but otherwise the hunt to replace my old not-great N22 mini amp continues.

Andyet

Sabaj A30a is much better then SMSL AO300? It will be working with TV optical cable. Sabaj is worth it?

VadimBN

Sabaj A30a is much better then SMSL AO300?
On paper - yes, according to the characteristics. But it doesn't have headphone jacks and HDMI. SMSL AO300 can also work with a TV via an optical cable.

Top Bottom