• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product - SMSL AO300

Roland68

Major Contributor
I performed this update with the HDMI plugged in and lost CEC functionality! A subsequent update to try and fix this bricked the device and I had to go through a lengthy returns procedure.

You shouldn't be messing around with the reverse main power button, especially during an update. I haven't tried to update my replacement as I'm afraid of bricking it again.
There are many devices (not just audio) that can be damaged by a failed firmware update.
Firmware updates should always be carried out without any additional cables connected and with a secure power supply. You should not touch the device or subject it to any shocks during the firmware update. Stumbling over the USB or power cable can also be very detrimental to a firmware update...

VadimBN

Yes I tried with topping E30 II and It works.
Topping E30 has XMOS XU208 USB chip. The amplifier from the topic has the latest XU316 chip. And it has a different product ID that may not be recognized by your tablet. But I could be wrong.

Zeman

Topping E30 has XMOS XU208 USB chip. The amplifier from the topic has the latest XU316 chip. And it has a different product ID that may not be recognized by your tablet. But I could be wrong.
After 10 and more tries I found an otg adaptor that works this morning.

Zeman

Screenshot_2024-03-07-14-51-08-819_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping-edit.jpg

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I like the A0300 very much, but with my speakers there is an absolute loss of treble. Given that I only purchased this for playing music that I drum with the quality drop isn't that concerning.

I had been using an older entry level Denon integrated amplifier for the task previously and without a doubt it sounds better than the A0300 and probably has more power which is surprising. I doubt that it actually has more power, but as a class A/B amp it probably is able to sustain the power level.

I find the A0300 starts to sound flat and somewhat compressed after a few songs at higher levels. The speakers are some basic, but effective Celestion DL-8 Series Two. Anyway, for the price, and as an all in one solution for my use the A0300 is solid. I have no regrets at this point.

ElJRe

Hi all! I am a little bit confused because I read in some posts that the AO300 is compatible with CEC (meaning turning on volume on TV should turn volume on amp, right?). Can someone clarify if it is the case and with which firmwqre exactly? Cheers!

VadimBN

meaning turning on volume on TV should turn volume on amp, right?
On my TV (Toshiba 50C350KE with Vidaa OS, with HDMI connection), when I adjust the volume on the TV remote, it changes. But within the limits set on the amplifier. So I'm not sure that the volume changes on the amplifier, it's more like it changes on the TV. Also, when the amplifier connected via optical S/PDIF, the volume is not adjusted at all from TV remote control.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
I like the A0300 very much, but with my speakers there is an absolute loss of treble. Given that I only purchased this for playing music that I drum with the quality drop isn't that concerning.

I had been using an older entry level Denon integrated amplifier for the task previously and without a doubt it sounds better than the A0300 and probably has more power which is surprising. I doubt that it actually has more power, but as a class A/B amp it probably is able to sustain the power level.

I find the A0300 starts to sound flat and somewhat compressed after a few songs at higher levels. The speakers are some basic, but effective Celestion DL-8 Series Two. Anyway, for the price, and as an all in one solution for my use the A0300 is solid. I have no regrets at this point.
All 3 points shouldn't be the case with this amplifier.
May I ask which input and source you are using?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
All 3 points shouldn't be the case with this amplifier.
May I ask which input and source you are using?
Sure, I use Bluetooth, LDAC, mostly streaming local files that I ripped from my CDs to Flac (using my old LG G8x as a dedicated streaming device now). Sometimes it is from Tidal. My understanding is that with class D amplifiers they are prone to interaction effects with the speaker, and depending on the speaker's response characteristics, you may or may not have an audible change. I am no expert so perhaps I have misunderstood.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Sure, I use Bluetooth, LDAC, mostly streaming local files that I ripped from my CDs to Flac (using my old LG G8x as a dedicated streaming device now). Sometimes it is from Tidal. My understanding is that with class D amplifiers they are prone to interaction effects with the speaker, and depending on the speaker's response characteristics, you may or may not have an audible change. I am no expert so perhaps I have misunderstood.
You should test with a reliable and directly connected source and compare with your Denon.
One of Denon's entry-level amplifiers should be significantly inferior in terms of performance and offer no advantage over the AO300 in terms of sound. Your speakers are also not known to be impedance critical.
Reset the AO300 to factory settings and then check all tone controls. There is also a firmware update.

If everything stays as you described, especially the audible loss of treble, I would assume it is defective and return or replace the amplifier.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Well, I'm not so sure about that, I don't think the SMSL is defective at all. The A300 was reviewed and the conclusion was that the amp was very frequency dependent and depending on the speaker, rolled off treble is a distinct possibility. So my experience is not really outside of the expected.

I also find the Denon sounds quite dynamic with quite a bit of power, entry level or not. Regardless, without a doubt, the Denon does absolutely sound better than the SMSL. However, I will certainly try with a USB connection. You wouldn't expect that to matter though, but perhaps.

Last edited:

Sinusinspireus

My A0300 arrived a yesterday.
Even though it doesn't measure too well (Going by the thread on the A300) it sounds great. Difficult to distinguish from class AB and by an important criteria: I am able to relax into the sound.
This and the Aiyima D03 are the first class D's that I've heard that do not have that typical harshness in the treble. (However the D03 has significant issues for me: bad implementation of the analog input, lots of EMI messing with my DAB radio reception and an always-on display.)
Is there some digital wizardry going on to soften up the top end? Despite measurements to me this sounds leaps and bounds better than the one TPA3255 amp I own. (The Aiyima A07pro that to me is so harsh up top that it's essentially unusable even in a garage setup.)
I ran the firmware update which seems to have reduced the noisefloor slightly as well as eliminate usb pops but I'll mostly use the analog input. Main downside now is the high idle power consumption Imho. 7 watts according to my power meter which is a lot for class D.

TLDR: Class D has arrived sonically and I'm quite happy.

Zeman

I still didn't updated, but I have no more pops in usb only with bluetooth. As to respond to some posts before, Ldac is good but USB is better. I have Polk Xt20 and just put +1 in treble, direct and I really like this amp more everyday, especially with blues and R&B. I will try update tomorrow, I still want to figure out different filters.
As out of topic, which is an amp not class d in this similar price range, with similar performance? Just curious

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I still didn't updated, but I have no more pops in usb only with bluetooth. As to respond to some posts before, Ldac is good but USB is better. I have Polk Xt20 and just put +1 in treble, direct and I really like this amp more everyday, especially with blues and R&B. I will try update tomorrow, I still want to figure out different filters.
As out of topic, which is an amp not class d in this similar price range, with similar performance? Just curious
If you have determined that USB sounds better than LDAC, and you have done so by sighted listening, that is just not proof at all. If you are able to tell LDAC from USB, 9 times out of 10 in a level matched, blind listening test, that is evidence.

Zeman

Yes It was just my impression anyway I use usb or Bluetooth as I prefer at the moment. I have an old Xiaomi always connected in USB.

tybo971

I have a silver one of these arriving tomorrow cant wait to hook it up this looks like a great support forum for help if needed...............

tybo971

quick question i know this has sub out but has anyone been able to do a simple hometheater setup right left channel AND a center channel with a sub??

A Surfer

Major Contributor
quick question i know this has sub out but has anyone been able to do a simple hometheater setup right left channel AND a center channel with a sub??
How do you envision this being done with this device?

Top Bottom