• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
;)
If he'll replace those Dynaudios with the Genelecs then we'll know for sure they're great
He also had replaced his very good Genelec 8260 with the Dyns he has right now, so I wouldn't count on that as a qualitative indicator.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe he just needed bigger monitors Becaue those Dynaudios are huge
Possibly, from qualitative point of view though it wasn't an improvement as I had shown here.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do all active speakers like this one or the smaller 8361a compare to passive speakers like Kef Blade Meta or Revel Salon in terms of continous and max SPL output (with a highpass filter at 80-100hz)?

d3l

Was lucky enough have a few hours with these yesterday.

I run a pair of 8351, 1238 and W371+ 8361 at the moment and can say with confidence that these are completely different to any of these.

To me the perceived volume you get from these is beyond the 1236 and far beyond any HIFI speaker I've ever witnessed. Think a PA level sound pressure with zero distortion or artefacts on the sound. It simply beggers belief.

Bass goes super low with, again, kind of authority and detail that I've never heard before. You could feed the speakers whatever and whatever volume and no problemo whatsoever.

Midrange has a kind of elasticity and depth that sounds a bit alien at first. Everything seems a bit too deep but brain seems to catch up pretty quickly and then its just simply wonderful.

Was a bit affraid of the compression driver at first but it just works.

Basicly you have a very detailed, extra deep wall of sound that seems to do whatever you ask it to do, even at extreme sound pressures. Beyond impressed myself.

Last edited:

fredoamigo

Forum Donor

I run a pair of 8351, 1238 and W371+ 8361 at the moment and can say with confidence that these are completely different to any of these.

To me the perceived volume you get from these is beyond the 1236 and far beyond any HIFI speaker I've ever witnessed. Think a PA level sound pressure with zero distortion or artefacts on the sound. It simply beggers belief.

Bass goes super low with, again, kind of authority and detail that I've never heard before. You could feed the speakers whatever and whatever volume and no problemo whatsoever.

Midrange has a kind of elasticity and depth that sounds a bit alien at first. Everything seems a bit too deep but brain seems to catch up pretty quickly and then its just simply wonderful.

Basicly you have a very detailed, extra deep wall of sound that seems to do whatever you ask it to do, even at extreme sound pressure. Beyond impressed myself.
A what distance did you do this listening? Did you move to know how they behave out of sweet spot?

gnarly

Major Contributor

Basicly you have a very detailed, extra deep wall of sound that seems to do whatever you ask it to do, even at extreme sound pressures. Beyond impressed myself.
That's great to hear. Hope we see more studio/home designs this strong.

Effortless, zero distortion SPL throughout the spectrum, especially with bass extension.... is THE major missing sound quality factor in home audio, ime.

Hi-fi PA, i call it. It's been a true audio awakening for me...

juliangst

Who really needs that much SPL? The S360 already provide 112dB continuous which is 100dB at 4 meters distance (ignoring any room gain or multiple speakers).
I personally can’t listen to anything above 95dB (Z-weighted) for an extended amount of time.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Did you mean 1238?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Who really needs that much SPL? The S360 already provide 112dB continuous which is 100dB at 4 meters distance (ignoring any room gain or multiple speakers).
I personally can’t listen to anything above 95dB (Z-weighted) for an extended amount of time.
You mean 95db (Z) average,max or peak?
Cause these vary greatly.

RobL

Was the room they were in untreated?

Top Bottom