• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Most ATC speakers are not "midrange heavy", just the old version of SCM19 that Amir did measure a while ago. That one is the odd one out, don't spread a myth created by some members at this forum. :)
I'm talking about the 3-way models with the mid dome
They don't sound neutral to me

dedobot

Actually 8381is my dream system from technical stand point. Multi way speakers , everything in the digital domain , amps to drivers just wires and nothing more. Standalone electronic and amplification. Deqx like.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Actually 8381is my dream system from technical stand point. Multi way speakers , everything in the digital domain , amps to drivers just wires and nothing more. Standalone electronic and amplification. Deqx like.
If I had the $$$ I'd buy them for sure

goat76

Major Contributor
I'm talking about the 3-way models with the mid dome
They don't sound neutral to me

Not sure which exact model you are thinking about, but the 3-way ATCs I have are neutral and not midrange-forward. And the measurements of their other three-way speakers don't show many traces of that either. Maybe you think the ATC speakers you've heard were "midrange-forward" just because of your pre-made assumptions, but that is probably more of a confirmation bias than anything else. :)

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
Lol
No
But that's not the case
I'm just not ashamed to ask stuff that could sound stupid
because that's the only way to learn
You don't seem to learn, though.

Not a compliment or a joke. I've not seen you reference an article or book once or try to write down in length what you understand about a complex issue. Repetitively asking questions without attempting to understand the answers is intellectually dishonest.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You don't seem to learn, though.

Not a compliment or a joke. I've not seen you reference an article or book once or try to write down in length what you understand about a complex issue. Repetitively asking questions without attempting to understand the answers is intellectually dishonest.
Well, that's just your opinion

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking of lot more simple processing. Stereo/mono channels redirection to certain speakers with SPL correction and may be a pan corrections . No content rendering. , no 3D sound field. Avid ..I had to deal at daily basis with the Media Composer stations at the IT support role. it's everything but easy and cheap.
My question was dull and derailing the thread, please excuse me.
That was in my first post. But you seemed to have skipped that. But maybe I didn’t explain it correctly. Yes a $50 receiver can do it or you can do it with wiring only.

You can do that with about $5 of wiring. That’s basically what the first Dolby surround systems did.

Let me Google this for you:

I used to play with that as a kid and it works.

Last edited:

Sebastiaan de Vries

The fact that they have 5 midrange drivers
Does it mean the sound will be midrange heavy ?or the mids would be too forward like ATC? :)
No matter whether your car has a V8 or a small 4-cylinder engine, when you tell the car to drive 30MPH, it goes 30MPH. Of course Genelec linearize the midrange array combined to be flat with the rest of the spectrum.

Esprit

Forum Donor
The tax authorities may be interested, it's not always nice :)
Unless you pay them in cash (it is also impossible for the seller to receive that money...) any transaction, especially of this amount, is known to the taxman. Banking secrecy hasn't existed for a lifetime. ;)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you pay them in cash (it is also impossible for the seller to receive that money...) any transaction, especially of this amount, is known to the taxman. Banking secrecy hasn't existed for a lifetime. ;)
In USA not really. The taxman knows your income for sure as the person who paid you has to report that.

However purchases are not necessary to report unless you want to depreciate it as a capital good.

Sales tax enforcement is on sellers not the consumer. If they failed to remit for example.

In fact I tried to find out how to remit as a consumer and it’s very hard to figure that out. They probably would be annoyed if you even tried to do it as it would be waste of their paperwork time.

HairyEars

I define near field as 1-3 meters distance
I'm just thinking about the future if I move to a bigger room and I'm stuck with small monitors with no SPL it'll be a problem

If you go by pro definition, nearfield is up to 1.5m. 3 meters puts you in the far field category.

Interesting people could be disappointed by this announcement. Genelec came out with a speaker designed profoundly different from the rest of their speaker portfolio.

Maybe it’s just sour grapes because it isn’t relevant as a home speaker, but talk about a tough crowd.

Na, nothing profoundly different from their portfolio. It's merely merging the W371 with a coax main in one enclosure (technically 2, but partically 1).

Of course, they go futhers, with the main augmented by quad mid drivers--which is the only departure from their past designs-- to enhance directly and boost SPL + a 15" woofer to account for the octaves 7 and 8.

Let's see: MDF + aluminum wave guide + true and tried drivers (I believe the only newly designed drivers are the quad, which are build in-house), all seem part of their heritage Even the shape of the main harks back to their original old-school designs.

buz

Forum Donor
The day you buy your speakers you MUST post a new thread and we will keep it on the top until every single person who has ever visited this forum will know. Emails will go out to everyone!
Also we must remember to supply the devil with a winter jacket, poor dude will freeze his ass off down there.

Speaking of buying them, I could but won't, too ugly and frankly, way more than I feel like spending. Kind of like that Porsche...

Last edited:
Top Bottom