• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do they individually power 9 drivers with 2 speakon cables? Is there a speakon version with more than 8 pins?
6 on top and 3 on the bottom. There are 2 speakons.

In one way of looking at it there are 12 amps powering each side.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
6 speakers need 12 pins though. And I only know of 2,4 and 8 pole speakons so I'm wondering how they individually drive those drivers

dedobot

You’re most probably right and I wasn’t thinking. Probably the top unit has 6 channels to implement midbass steering.

The bottom only has 3 drivers so 3 channels. Maybe even the same 6 channels bridged into 3.
But really the speakOn is max 4 channels, unless it is custom something.

juliangst

Does the quad midrange even need individual driver control? If not they could just share one channel of amplification

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
A comparison with ATC SCM300 from Gearspace :
Screenshot_20230520_014619_Chrome.jpg

dedobot

I see. Yeah probably the 4 array midbass works acoustically and it probably doesn’t have any steering.

Also they probably consider that array to be one driver.
Yes, this is. "Five ways" -five drivers but not physical. Virtual like hard drives and raids :)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20230520_024517_Chrome.jpg

I wonder how the 8381 sounds side by side(measurements aside )when compared to this monster that should be one of the top hifi speakers

dedobot

View attachment 286667
I wonder how the 8381 sounds side by side(measurements aside )when compared to this monster that should be one of the top hifi speakers
1x16" vs.3x15" ! I'm not sure who is the monster :)
Although the French can do design, unquestionably .

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Genelec said they don't need a sub
but some comments here said they need a sub
What's is more correct ?

One reason to own a sub (or two, or three) is to distribute them around the room where they are most advantageous to smoothing out the bass response of the system. Genelec is saying that their speakers output full range, so you probably don't need a sub if your room configuration just so happens to provide smooth bass. It is not about the quantity of bass that the speakers can produce, because you will hear zero bass even from the bassiest speaker if you happen to have your main listening position in a null. Having a speaker that can produce bass and needing a subwoofer are two different things. The former means that you might be able to get away without a subwoofer, but the latter is the more common scenario.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One reason to own a sub (or two, or three) is to distribute them around the room where they are most advantageous to smoothing out the bass response of the system. Genelec is saying that their speakers output full range, so you probably don't need a sub if your room configuration just so happens to provide smooth bass. It is not about the quantity of bass that the speakers can produce, because you will hear zero bass even from the bassiest speaker if you happen to have your main listening position in a null. Having a speaker that can produce bass and needing a subwoofer are two different things. The former means that you might be able to get away without a subwoofer, but the latter is the more common scenario.
So glm with a w371 corrects so flat under about 300Hz it’s incredible. However I do have problems around 550Hz and 1100-1300Hz as well as a dip a little bit past that.

But I have a leather surface behind the mic and maybe that is the issue.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also perhaps meaning that at some point you need to switch from graphs to your own subjective experience in your own mind. If that’s good what else matters?

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
“The Genelec 8381A Smart Active Monitoring Loudspeaker system will be available in black or white for $64,000/pair by October 2023, which includes a total of four RAM-81 amplifiers (2 per channel). The 8381A can also be purchased individually at $32,000 per channel and include a warranty of 2 years unregistered, and 10 years (in total) for registered users”

If it truly does as claimed, it is a new world standard in sound reproduction… so, one set for my music room and a pair for my bedroom! :)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
“The Genelec 8381A Smart Active Monitoring Loudspeaker system will be available in black or white for $64,000/pair by October 2023, which includes a total of four RAM-81 amplifiers (2 per channel). The 8381A can also be purchased individually at $32,000 per channel and include a warranty of 2 years unregistered, and 10 years (in total) for registered users”

If it truly does as claimed, it is a new world standard in sound reproduction… so, one set for my music room and a pair for my bedroom! :)
You're probably going to be the only one on this forum who actually buys them which is amazing

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
You're probably going to be the only one on this forum who actually buys them which is amazing
I am afraid you missed my humor! I truly appreciate what Genelec has created; however, I am relatively impecunious at that level of expenditure. The 8361AM at $4995 each are at the upper end of affordability for me, and that is a reach!

I love my little KEF R3’s with subs (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-r3-speaker-review.12021/) in my bedroom. Now approaching my 83d birthday with associated loss of high frequency hearing, a $64,000 system would be wasted :-( on me.

Tillman… unrepentant octogenarian!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
"plasticity of the signals was enormous"

even thru a google translate that has the underlying 'floweryness'

i mean $64,000 is a lot but since you are also getting 4 matched amps and the whole dac dsp rc shooting match

there's a LOT worse out there... a company other than this one would be asking six figures

"your journey ends here..." we all heard this one right?

Top Bottom