• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Sebastiaan de Vries

My guess is they are around 30000 a pair. They can’t be much higher since, for a full-range system, you still need subwoofers. Secondly, it still needs to make sense from a price point in the 83xx line-up.

On a side note, I hope Genelecs next subwoofer uses a form of active bass steering as well.

hege

Forum Donor
They can’t be much higher since, for a full-range system, you still need subwoofers.
Well it's full range enough, much more than 1235A. Similar to W371a, but yeah one can say it might need subs also.

Secondly, it still needs to make sense from a price point in the 83xx line-up.
Does it make sense that 1236A costs double of 1235A, 80-90k vs 45k with only practical change being driver size (15" vs 18"). TOTL pricing does not need to make sense. One can hope of course.

Dunno why they even put it in the 83xx lineup as it just confuses being with the aluminium eggs.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What's unclear is
Why not sell just the monitor itself without the bottom enclosure with the dual subs and make it optional
( something like Kii 3 with or without a BXT)

Reactions: CMB

Sokel

Master Contributor
What's unclear is
Why not sell just the monitor itself without the bottom enclosure with the dual subs and make it optional
( something like Kii 3 with or without a BXT)
Because the whole thing is designed and works as a complete system,being separate (top-bottom-amp's rack) is probably for convenience as well.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the whole thing is designed and works as a complete system,being separate (top-bottom-amp's rack) is probably for convenience as well.
Indeed, the front 15" and side woofers probably are for directivity steering. To sell only half would not make sense.

Last edited:

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't think you'll need subs with these, I have a pair of 7360A which specs about the same in terms of bandwidth with -6dB at 19Hz, however those are anechoic measurements, in my room they go flat to 15Hz

Just realised that they are fully closed. Explains the 3dB lower SPL than 1235A and need for twice the power. A bit of departure from their usual ported dogma.
The bottom part of the 8381A does have a port at the back similar to the W371A.

I do not know what the limiting factor of the 8381A is compared to the 1235A but funnily enough, the technical specifications of the 1235A now lists it as having a "Quad Midrange System" with four 5-inch drivers. :p

Sokel

Master Contributor

I do not know what the limiting factor of the 8381A is compared to the 1235A but funnily enough, the technical specifications of the 1235A now lists it as having a "Quad Midrange System" with four 5-inch drivers. :p
It also lists the 3U rack amps,similar to 8381A.
Did they had these before?

hege

Forum Donor
Ah ok I missed the pictures.. the bottom I guess is around 160 litres, it's enough for 2x15" tuned ~30hz?

新しい人

I asked the Genelec staff on Twitter and he said it was just a mistake.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
they are professional, but Genelec does have some kind of anti-design-design thing going on lol

but as others have stated, I take any professinal design over those strange high end designs

other places are already posting excerpts from the PDF

there is a 5" mid/compression driver combo inside that horn?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
they are professional, but Genelec does have some kind of anti-design-design thing going on lol
I designed Formula 1 racing cars.
Everything about the design was functional. There was absolutely no styling done to the functional design, only the marketing dept’s artwork for the paint job.

I have always seen design of functional items as 99% engineering from a personal perspective.

For domestic products aesthetic styling of a functional design will be important for sales.

Members of this forum are not the principle market for this product so any peripheral attraction for domestic use is a side issue for Genelec, I expect.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Sorry, you lost me…what the hell are you talking about?
It was a reaction to somebody else's suggestion to define another one as the fanboy #1.

I've seen that often, namely that once your general mindset it challenged, the English is an obstacle.

I find it particularly disconcerting that all you speculate and chit chat about a speaker that GENELEC is going to offer, but didn't reveal any details about but published a snippet of a photograph that you interpret as gospel (instead of laughing out loud about this funny marketing trick). For the time being I just pretend to not know what the correct term for naming this kind of behaviour may be.
It only associates too well with most or even all guys being lost when it comes to details of the actual technology and the always chuggling understanding of numbers and graphs.

But please, it's your delight :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom