• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're a true audiophile looks have 0 importance to you and also what your wife thinks of them
It's always possible to convince her to keep them somehow :)
I like to think someone will put these in their home. I bet not many.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I would consider them. I’m just not sure that my ears are capable of differentiating these from my 8361’s. If I were 20 years younger…
You can only know if you listen to them side by side

Reddoc

Having placed the 371+83x1 and 8381 behind a screen, Genelec asked listeners to pick the best sounding system. Without fail and with ease, all bar none chose the 8381. Apparently, it’s quite a jump.
Thanks for this comment, but it leaves me confused, now (as if I wasn't before)! So many people recommend the 8351 or 61 with W371 as a fantastic system, backed up by measurements. But now the 8381 sounds easily better. So I am left wondering what measurements could explain such an obvious subjective difference. Curiouser and curiouser.
On two unrelated notes:
Does the 8381 have a built-in DAC like the other 83xxs? EDIT- yes of course it does. I found the "digital input" bit.
And- is there a fan in the amps(s)?

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor

Newman

Major Contributor
@Reddoc I would not put it past Genelec to have made their new system just a little bit louder compared to their lower-priced system.

Reddoc

@Reddoc I would not put it past Genelec to have made their new system just a little bit louder compared to their lower-priced system.
Yes, the max SPL is extremely high, way louder than I can ever want.
I wonder whether the listeners (who thought the 8381s sounded easily and without fail the best when compared to the 8361-W371 system) were listening at those extreme SPLs? (Assuming Genelec compared them level-matched- I wasn’t there but they are a pretty careful and scientific bunch). If the SPL is the ONLY difference, then I am happy with the W371-83x1 solution and I’ll stop worrying. But if they picked the 8381 every time at domestic-type levels, then I don’t know what to do :)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the max SPL is extremely high, way louder than I can ever want.
I wonder whether the listeners (who thought the 8381s sounded easily and without fail the best when compared to the 8361-W371 system) were listening at those extreme SPLs? (Assuming Genelec compared them level-matched- I wasn’t there but they are a pretty careful and scientific bunch). If the SPL is the ONLY difference, then I am happy with the W371-83x1 solution and I’ll stop worrying. But if they picked the 8381 every time at domestic-type levels, then I don’t know what to do :)
If it's movies, then the transient peaks for that dynamic explosion may be "felt" with the more powerful 8381. The max SPL makes a difference in action movies where for a brief moment, there's that suddenness at THX reference levels like the jet plane flying buy in Top Gun. Obviously, this is speculation, as I haven't heard them yet, but I can see why this speaker was designed for this use case.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can only know if you listen to them side by side
True, but when listening to the ‘61s I wonder what could be improved? Maybe some very incremental things only measurements could describe? And Hairyears also has a great point…US$64000 would build one helluva immersive system which would probably be a much bigger jump in terms of listening pleasure.

HairyEars

Do you have comments about the S360?

The S360 is a fantastic loudspeaker with a long throw and narrow dispersion. I was sitting over 10 meters away from the center monitor, and the sound was loud and clear. I was waving to the D.J. to pick up the volume—as I was eager to push the system—but he shrugged me off. Bummer...Regardless, the compression tweeter is a marvel, and the single driver performs better than expected.

I still recall the first time I auditioned those monitors. I was 3 meters away, and I, like the rest of the attendees, was shocked by the sound quality. The tracks were EDM, and we had a wild blast. I was so impressed that I nearly ordered a pair there and then.

Personally, for recreation, I’d take the S360 over the 8351/61 for mid or far field duties.

The S360 is also highly suitable for surround duties in large immersive system. In smaller setups, the “Ones” does a stellar job.

Last edited:

Anthony LoFi

These are designed for studio use. They are the pinnacle of the main monitor line.
The great advantage these have is they are specifically designed to be floor mounted.
Most main monitors are placed well above the listening position and built into the control rooms structure.
Designers (acoustic engineers) are then normally faced with the task of designing the room surface materials and room dimensions with a specific brand monitor to take into account. Remember now we have 3 main monitors in most studios that would be using this system.
These speakers I believe (dont think the can be mounted above the floor) will make the acoustic engineers job a lot easier! and hence less cost.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Imagine if they put 2 woofers on each side like KEF Blade One lol
Screenshot_20230526_101231_Chrome.jpg

Newman

Major Contributor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No cardioid radiation, otherwise we'd definitely know about it. I think there are only 3 true cardioid speaker companies: Kii, D&D and Geithan. I'm surprised Genelec with its software expertise doesn't have one in development.
The Ones with the W371 Module are cardioid down to 50hz? I believe.

Top Bottom