• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Mesanovic CDM65 monitors

deni

Audio Company
Exactly what that means! I'm sure @muslhead can confirm the same experience...

There absolutely is. Or at least, was. I know for sure that Buchardt did have a hard time dealing with Platin's issues (both amp/WISA backplates and Stereo Hub). But if they would have chose custom-made electronics (WISA/DSP/DAC/Amp), it would have ask way more important development and costs.
Sorry to hear about your issues with Buchardt. We've been testing the Platin amps for nearly two years now and have not encountered one issue. Perhaps it was a case of bad luck with your amps. Not sure if the amplifier section, power supply, or WiSA connectivity was failing on your amps. We've taken the time to thoroughly test and examine the units. Very well designed, laid out, and quality components.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@deni this speaker strikes me as, forgive me for saying, pretty good value. How are you managing to offer this speaker at this price?

I mean when I think of you guys I think, you know, super high end drivers, nice cabinet, pretty advanced amps, domestically produced. All expensive stuff, but the expectation is that you get that last 2% of performance you don't get from the usual suspects.

I mean 5.2k is not cheap, but I would expect higher cost.
It even has chromecast! I could replace my entire stereo with this thing. I don't even need cables. Damn.

Last edited:

deni

Audio Company
@deni this speaker strikes me as, forgive me for saying, pretty good value. How are you managing to offer this speaker at this price?

I mean when I think of you guys I think, you know, super high end drivers, nice cabinet, pretty advanced amps, domestically produced. All expensive stuff, but the expectation is that you get that last 2% of performance you don't get from the usual suspects.

I mean 5.2k is not cheap, but I would expect higher cost.
It even has chromecast! I could replace my entire stereo with this thing. I don't even need cables. Damn.
Thank you for the kind words.

The idea behind the speaker was to pack as much performance and features into a compact footprint that would work in both studio and home listening situations. We're lucky to have a cabinet maker that's based in the US who is able to meet our specifications and provide quality and timely deliveries. A major area where we are able to cut costs in this speaker vs the RTM10 is the tweeter. The RTM10 tweeter is made in house and is very costly and time intensive to produce. In the CDM65 we use a SB Acoustics tweeter that in my view is the absolute best tweeter available for its performance/price. The CDM65 shares the same mid woofer as the RTM10 which is also class leading for performance/price.

Sure, we could have set a much higher price point given the performance of this speaker, but at the end of the day I think $5300 for a pair is a nice sweet spot in the market. Some of the prices other companies charge for studio monitors or Hifi speakers is a bit head scratching in my opinion, but if people are willing to pay those prices then good for them. I believe in pushing the boundaries of performance and price while still providing a product with quality components and great customer service to back it up.

Hope you get to hear the CDM65s soon!

Last edited:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wonderful speakers!
I understand these are meant to be near field monitors. At what listening distance could you stretch them out to?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They look absolutely awesome Deni, I remember you telling me they were in development and would hopefully be released last autumn, everything always takes longer than you expect!
Can’t wait to hear a pair.
Keith

HooStat

These are great -- no question about it.

How about subwoofer integration -- is that handled via DSP?

Just out of curiosity, this is strictly 2-channel only with the platin hub? I am just wondering about multichannel applications -- I noted the HDMI on the hub.

deni

Audio Company
These are great -- no question about it.

How about subwoofer integration -- is that handled via DSP?

Just out of curiosity, this is strictly 2-channel only with the platin hub? I am just wondering about multichannel applications -- I noted the HDMI on the hub.
The Platin Hub is 2.0/2.1 so you can integrate any WiSA certified subwoofer with it. Or you could use something like the Axiim Link or WiSA SoundSend for up to 7.1. The Axiim Link also has 8 channel USB Audio for Mac/PC and its own app with EQ, bass management, etc. You can mix and match other WiSA certified speakers for multichannel configurations. For studio use using the XLR input there are many ways to go about that!

We're looking into possibly offering our own 10" or 12" sealed subwoofer utilizing the same driver used in the RTM10, but that is further down the line and still in the brainstorming phase.

RobL

Studio Economik (Canada) has the RTM10 but no listing for the CDM65 yet. Is the pre-order deal US only?

RobL

Vintage King might want to correct their pair pricing…

deni

Audio Company
Studio Economik (Canada) has the RTM10 but no listing for the CDM65 yet. Is the pre-order deal US only?
No it is world wide. Some of our dealers have been a bit slow to get them listed, probably due to the release coming the week before the holidays :) I'll reach out to them!

deni

Audio Company
Vintage King might want to correct their pair pricing…
They have them listed as singles since that's how we are shipping them. Some dealers chose to list them as pairs to make the "preorder a pair and get a free stereo hub for free" deal easier for their backend operations. We're shipping them as singles to make it easier for multichannel purchases.

RobL

They have them listed as singles since that's how we are shipping them. Some dealers chose to list them as pairs to make the "preorder a pair and get a free stereo hub for free" deal easier for their backend operations. We're shipping them as singles to make it easier for multichannel
Looks like a steal! :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you give an example of a pro sub driver or any driver that has low sensitivity and high power handling.
A pro diver usually does not have low sensitivity. That’s what makes them “pro”. Nor is a pro audio sub comparable to a home audio sub. They have different designs goals. A home sub usually has massive excursion and power handling, low sensitivity and can be used in a relatively small box. Usually you only have one or two. A pro sub trades in box size for sensitivity. Usually you have more room and can place multiple. Also, the frequency range is different. Pro subs don’t go down to 20 Hz usually. Want an example:

Want a high powered pa sub driver:

It does have much higher sensitivity than the Tympany.

But no, there is no physical laws that ties sensitivity to power handling.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Started another tread on wisa transmitters https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ing-wisa-with-other-stuff.40291/#post-1420982

I think they are all lacking in thier possibilities to integrate for example your existing non wisa subwoofer. This limits the usefulness of wisa enabled speakers.

But I’ll take that in another tread it’s a subset of general integration problems for active speakers in consumer applications :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
PSA uses pro sub drivers as does many DIY home sub builders and there's even home sub kits for pro sub drivers.
What’s your point? DIY’ers use all kinds of stuff when they need to get to a specific design goal.
If that Peerless driver is the only you can come up with then it's just an exception.
Any decent car audio sub will fill the criteria. DIY’ers also regularly use those.

There are plenty more where those came from. Dayton Ultimax series for instance.

If you still think there is a connection between power handling and sensitivity, show us the math.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What you describe as "Low" sensitivity I think is normal / middle sensitivity for a sub.
That’s a matter of definition obviously. But overall, Hoffmann’s iron law applies:

1671905434712.gif

Or otherwise: you can only fulfill two of the three criteria at once. For home audio, size and extension are usually key, and therefore efficiency will suffer. You’ll need power handling to make up for it.

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Review by @hardisj :
View attachment 251210
View attachment 251211

That's exactly the same used by Buchardt and System Audio. As far as I can tell: reliability is just not there (already had to swap two in less than two years. I doubt @muslhead would disagree). About the Platin's Stereo Hub, then... no words. Just a piece of software garbage.

... Or ugly Buchardt A500s? :p
Nope, would not disagree. Too bad its so unreliable as it gives a bad mark to the mfg's who use it and whose reputations suffer

Top Bottom