• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New measuring microphone does not work

OP
P

producer12999

I do, but that graph is not mine. I got it from here: https://www.hifi-selbstbau.de/index...icht&catid=36:software--messtechnik&Itemid=66

Btw, there's a lab in Germany that sells individually calibrated and compensated ECM8000 mics: https://www.akulap.de/joomla/index.php/en/en-shop/product/view/17/177
Do you think the frequency response looks good for a completely untreated room? I am planning my studio with GIK Acoustics and will invest a lot of money. Let's see how the treated room will sound. The measurement is now from both monitors, levelled at a good mixing volume. The microphone shows -22 dBFs. And how does the Spectrogram look to you? As you said, the microphone also has deviations.

I think it's okay, considering there's really only one bed in the room. No furniture etc. Or am I completely wrong? And thanks for the tip, I will definitely get a calibrated microphone + level meter!

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-03 um 01.33.33.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-03 um 01.33.33.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-03 um 01.36.55.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-03 um 01.36.55.png
    860.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
P

producer12999

Do you think the frequency response looks good for a completely untreated room? I am planning my studio with GIK Acoustics and will invest a few thousand euros. Let's see how the treated room will sound. The measurement is now from both monitors, levelled at a good mixing volume. The microphone shows -22 dBFs. And how does the Spectrogram look to you? As you said, the microphone also has deviations.

I think it's okay, considering there's really only one bed in the room. No furniture etc. Or am I completely wrong? And thanks for the tip, I will definitely get a calibrated microphone + level meter!
This HUGE 135 Hz resonance hurts my ears! xDDD

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you think the frequency response looks good for a completely untreated room?
Please use a vertical range of 50dB from bottom to top for frequency response graphs. What you have currently (>200dB) makes it impossible to interpret.

As for the spectrogram, it shows quite pronounced room modes like what you'd expect from an untreated room. That's about all I can say.

OP
P

producer12999

Please use a vertical range of 50dB from bottom to top for frequency response graphs. What you have currently (>200dB) makes it impossible to interpret.

As for the spectrogram, it shows quite pronounced room modes like what you'd expect from an untreated room. That's about all I can say.
Oh, you're right. Now it doesn't look so nice.
Do you know why the reverberation times are generally so short? Or is that normal?

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-03 um 01.59.27.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-03 um 01.59.27.png
    465.3 KB · Views: 44
OP
P

producer12999

Oh, you're right. Now it doesn't look so nice.
Do you know why the reverberation times are generally so short? Or is that normal?

I definitely need to test a few slightly different positions. I have to get rid of these dips below 100hz before I equip myself with acoustic modules.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you know why the reverberation times are generally so short?
For reverberation times, you'd typically want to look at the RT60 graph.

Just for reference, here's the RT60 Before vs After of a TV studio that oratory1990 worked on:
unknown-1.png

Use REW's "Topt" graph in the RT60 window to compare.

Last edited:
Top Bottom