• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New measuring microphone does not work

producer12999

Hello, I am totally exhausted. I got a Behringer EMC8000 and connected it to my Focuswrite Scarlett. I used this cable https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_ctm_3_fm_mikrokabel_schwarz.htm

Is this the wrong cable or why does just nothing work? No deflection of the microphone appears in REW, although I have entered the measurement microphone as input and output in REW. On the photo you can see the settings. Is there a way to see that the microphone is connected successfully? Unfortunately I don't know any more.

Thanks for help!

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-02 um 22.25.44.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-02 um 22.25.44.png
    568.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-02 um 22.27.10.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-10-02 um 22.27.10.png
    555.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
P

producer12999

Did you turn on Phantom Power on your Scarlett?
Which knob is it mate? I think I'm getting signal, but very very quietly and the calibration file from Behringer on the website is invalid for REW. Do I need to insert these files? I don't understand anything anymore because every tutorial starts differently.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Which knob is it mate?
It's the "48V" button.

Also, if you select "direct" monitoring and plug your headphones into the interface you should hear the mic.

but very very quietly and the calibration file from Behringer on the website is invalid for REW
The frequency calibration should be OK.

But the levels depend on the gain of the preamps built-into the interface, and level knobs and the gain.

The LEDs sourrouding the level knobs should also give you an indication of signal level.

OP
P

producer12999

It's the "48V" button.

Also, if you select "direct" monitoring and plug your headphones into the interface you should hear the mic.

But the levels depend on the gain of the preamps built-into the interface, and level knobs and the gain.

The LEDs sourrouding the level knobs should also give you an indication of signal level.
Oh, do I still need such a device for levelling, which outputs the volume in decibels? I don't have one. Thank you very much!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is this the wrong cable or why does just nothing work? No deflection of the microphone appears in REW, although I have entered the measurement microphone as input and output in REW. On the photo you can see the settings. Is there a way to see that the microphone is connected successfully? Unfortunately I don't know any more.

Open the RTA window and press the button top right.

"Off"

1696282668558.png

RTA "On"

1696282710610.png

That gets my levels on the Preferences page going.

Or start a measurement...

Last edited:
OP
P

producer12999

It's the "48V" button.

Now I see the level glowing! I'm one step closer to my goal, let's see if I can make it today. THANKS already!
Do I also have to create an interface file in which I connect input and output at the same time?

OP
P

producer12999

Open the RTA window and press the button top right.

View attachment 316187

That gets my levels going.

Or start a measurement...
Hello, I'm sorry if I'm annoying you with the questions. But what exactly do I have to do if I have connected the interface as input and output and a input level from the mic comes. Unfortunately I don't have a device that can measure volume. You can see this device in all the tutorials. I have to level the microphone first, but how?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do I also have to create an interface file in which I connect input and output at the same time?
No. Just open REW's Preferences, go to Soundcard, choose Drivers: Java and select EXCL: Scarlett for both input and output.

staticV3

Master Contributor
the frequency response + reverb times
then you don't need to calibrate your mic. You just have to load the microphone compensation file into the appropriate input (Preferences>Cal files->Mic cal files->Browse)

OP
P

producer12999

then you don't need to calibrate your mic. You just have to load the microphone compensation file into the appropriate input (Preferences>Cal files->Mic cal files->Browse)
You mean the file that Behringer makes available for download? The problem is that the files in REW are invalid. Should I just copy the contents of the document into an Excel spreadsheet and export it as a .csv to be able to paste it into REW?

staticV3

Master Contributor
You mean the file that Behringer makes available for download? The problem is that the files in REW are invalid. Should I just copy the contents of the document into an Excel spreadsheet and export it as a .csv to be able to paste it into REW?
can you zip the file and attach it here?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Of course, thank you very much for your direct help. I appreciate it extremely.
Hm yeah weird format for sure.
"ECM8000 Calibration File.ods" and "Generic ECM8000 Calibration File.rtf" seem to contain the same exact data, which makes me think that this is not a unique calibration file matched to your ECM8000's S/N.

I've converted the file to .csv, which you can load into REW as Mic cal file and attached it to the post.

It should be said though that the ECM8000 really should be individually measured and compensated due to its high unit-to-unit variation.
Here is the frequency response of 125 different ECM8000 units, to give you an idea of what kind of accuracy you can expect from both the raw, uncompensated response as well as one with a generic cal file applied:
MicCal_ECM8000a125.png

Attachments

• ECM8000 Calibration File CSV.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 51
OP
P

producer12999

Hm yeah weird format for sure.
"ECM8000 Calibration File.ods" and "Generic ECM8000 Calibration File.rtf" seem to contain the same exact data, which makes me think that this is not a unique calibration file matched to your ECM8000's S/N.

I've converted the file to .csv, which you can load into REW as Mic cal file and attached it to the post.

It should be said though that the ECM8000 really should be individually measured and compensated due to its high unit-to-unit variation.
Here is the frequency response of 125 different ECM8000 units, to give you an idea of what kind of accuracy you can expect from both the raw, uncompensated response as well as one with a generic cal file applied:
View attachment 316198
Kommst du aus Deutschland? Die Grafik ist auf deutsch. :D

Top Bottom