• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 1 Series Monitors

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These are not studio monitors like the 3 series or kali, but control monitors for broadcast use like the fostex 6301, so the requirements are not the same ;)

OP
K

Kyle / MrHeeHo

These are not studio monitors like the 3 series or kali, but control monitors for broadcast use like the fostex 6301, so the requirements are not the same ;)
If they are they aren't being marketed as such. The webpage for these seems targeted at amateur musicians who do everything from home.

If this has decent off-axis performance will that benefit vertically too or only horizontally? I'm a layman when it comes to these things

Edit:
Where will I be able to find FR measurements of this speaker?
When they release there will definitely be measurements in reviews.

OP
K

Kyle / MrHeeHo

I just noticed the placement of the logo on the mesh, seems worrying.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
The baffle's taller than wide, so dispersion probably will be close but not identical.

Take a look at the directivity plots of Genelec’s The Ones on page 4/7 in this brochure:

https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/SAM Coaxial Studio Monitors/gen_theones_brochure_210x279_12pager_lowres_0.pdf

It gives you an idea of horizontal vs vertical radiation patterns.

The JBL is a copycat mee-too product so it remains to be seen of the JBL is as successful design wise as the original. One should ask: Why don’t JBL give measurements?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Funny how the 8341 seems to measure better than the more expensive 8351 according to their own measurements.

8341 and 8331 are newer than 8351.

Genelec write about the differences in construction (if you take the time to find the material, which may be in the brochure above).

I heard them all three in a demo (not a bad room, big, so reflected sound didn't make the usual deteriorations) and in my ears - that are used to 8351 - the 8351 sounded the best. Maybe I liked the sound I am used to? However, I am generally of the opinion that size matters.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL is a copycat mee-too product so it remains to be seen of the JBL is as successful design wise as the original.....

You are certainly not suggesting that Genelec invented coaxial monitors. I was selling Tannoy coaxials in the mid 70s..and there were many before that.

I'm impressed. $150 retail for a pair of handsome looking 4.5" active desktop speakers, with front headphone jacks no less.

30 WPC, & not bi-amped, they are not designed to compete with serious studio monitors...even the budget Kali and JBL 300 series. But I bet they sell lots if they look as nice in person and do not sound horrible. Very little from JBL sounds horrible.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
You are certainly not suggesting that Genelec invented coaxial monitors. I was selling Tannoy coaxials in the mid 70s..and there were many before that.

I'm impressed. $150 retail for a pair of handsome looking 4.5" active desktop speakers, with front headphone jacks no less.

30 WPC, & not bi-amped, they are not designed to compete with serious studio monitors...even the budget Kali and JBL 300 series. But I bet they sell lots if they look as nice in person and do not sound horrible. Very little from JBL sounds horrible.

No, I am not suggesting that. If you knew me, you’d know I think it’s very important to acknowledge heritage, legacy - in order to clarify where your product adds to the accumulation of a design’s current status. This is the modus operandi of a science-driven man or company.

JBL says little about measurements and even less on where their coaxial design stands compared to existing designs. Does their design bring anything new to the table?

As it stands now, I don’t see any evidence of the science-driven mode of operation in this JBL speaker. So it looks lake a marketing-driven offering.

Tell me if I am wrong.

OP
K

Kyle / MrHeeHo

The people who designed the good JBLs no longer work there, and handsome? It looks reminiscent of portable bluetooth speakers

No, I am not suggesting that. If you knew me, you’d know I think it’s very important to acknowledge heritage, legacy - in order to clarify where your product adds to the accumulation of a design’s current status. This is the modus operandi of a science-driven man or company.

JBL says little about measurements and even less on where their coaxial design stands compared to existing designs. Does their design bring anything new to the table?

As it stands now, I don’t see any evidence of the science-driven mode of operation in this JBL speaker. So it looks lake a marketing-driven offering.

Tell me if I am wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if these speakers exist because of Samsung

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The people who designed the good JBLs no longer work there
They are not there because they did not want to learn/adopt advancements in sound reproduction research....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
They are not there because they did not want to learn/adopt advancements in sound reproduction research....

Is there a good summary of the JBL (corporate his)story available anywhere? I’ve only incoherently grasped a bit here and there. But it sounds like a fascinating story.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This should have been executed as wanatoo encore speakers.....dac integrated to the speaker.....digital input...then it would be intresting.....like mini kii3 and D&D... Jbl, do it.

Johnb

I don't believe that Jbl is the premier brand in Harman's stable. Someone has to produce the mass market products as well. There is a need for the Polks of this world.

Top Bottom