• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Genelec 8341a speakers too revealing?? Any other recording studio mishaps that made it through to commercial release?

Tom C

Major Contributor

At 3:02, you can hear a faint click, sounds a bit like someone closing a door in the background. It’s actually the sound of Elvis’ head hitting the mike. It wasn’t noticed until production had wrapped, so a retake was avoided by careful editing. The only reason I know this story is I took the Studio B tour at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, and they told us. Got to stand in the very spot where Elvis stood to do the recording too. They put an X on the floor using masking tape, so the performers would know where to stand. It was fun. They had a lovely pair of Altec Lansing VOTT type cabinets in that studio, but didn’t play them :confused:. They used the little Dynaudios that were hanging on a post. Felt like a let down.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Spent the day setting up Dirac Live on the MiniDSP SHD Studio that are feeding my new Genelec 8341A speakers I'm using them as nearfield desktop computer monitors. But I was pretty shocked at what I was hearing that I did not appreciate before. One of the first songs I listened to was Neil Young's Out On The Weekend, which is the first track on his Harvest album. At 2:02 min in there was a non-musical thunk in the right channel that sounded like someone hit the body of their acoustic guitar. I had never heard that before despite listening to this album hundreds of times in the past. Honestly, it was jarring. I checked to be sure that it was not an artifact from ripping the CD but it was on the streaming remastered version of the Album on Qobuz.

I'd like to know if anyone else can confirm that they hear this and that I'm not imagining things.

I remember noting Recording Studio errors on other recordings including hearing a faint background phone ringing on a Hilary Hahn Violin Concerto CD that I only detected after listening on my headphones.
Very good point that you make. I think that there are more of these than one generally thinks. As you know, few systems are good enough to reveal many of these deficiencies. Very few. I have noted some myself, using either good quality headphones (Neumann or Focal or Audex) or my Neumann 120, 310 and 150 monitors in very nearfield.

I think that the nearfield factor is significant in this regard. I have found that any monitor used in midfield instead of nearfield (very nearfield) will result in some degredation of the details.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I am not 100% sure about my headphones I usually resort to a microphone and REW .... which still isn't fool proof.
That works, of course. But requires stopping everything and measuring.

teashea

Sounds like a toilet being flushed.

I've been using gear [headphone, that is] that exposes this sort of "extra-musical" stuff all the time, feet shuffling in orchestral recordings, or this interesting bit of flutter on the voice only, with the musical backdrop holding steady [something of a mystery how this could of happened] @ 1:27-1:30:

For over a decade when I was getting paid [according to Social Security, not very much] to be a "recording engineer", I used Stax earspeakers. In reality I'm nobody's engineer. For that you'll want to talk to my brother, he's working on flying cars. I think "recordist" is more like it. Say what you will, but the Stax gear excelled at exposing things that go bump in recordings, proving to be exceptionally useful for editing. What I'm using now---Drop HD 6XX, APO EQ, Topping E/L 30---is not quite as sharp at exposing "noises off" as the Stax 'phones, but more than good enough for the purpose.
That is awful..........................

gino1961

Yes, the scourge of quality reproduction. Recording studios are run by people, and they make small mistakes sometimes.
Yes you are right here there is even a man coughing at the beginning

sibi1865

Does anyone hear a ringing/screeching sound at around 650 Hz on Don McLean's American Pie (ripped CD to AIFF) from around the line, "If the Bible tells you so", and which continues throughout the faster section?

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the other day I stubled on the "bathroom stomp board" listed in the credits and I guess that it is it. here at 4:03 for example

now at the before linked 4:13 hit something happened to it lol. Maybe it broke?
I still don't get how they left it in, and I also don't get why so few people seam to talk about it
I just thought it was weird beat they put in.

Being uneducated about music itself doesn’t really give you an idea of what should be there and what shouldn’t be there.

Top Bottom