• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Genelec 8341a speakers too revealing?? Any other recording studio mishaps that made it through to commercial release?

kthulhutu

Shipping on the GLM kit was delayed and arrived after the MiniDSP Studio with DIRAC Live. So I will do a GLM comparison at some point, now that I have both. It will just take some time as this is a part time hobby (but a fun one!). Happy to post my measurements and thoughts here when I do.
I've been meaning to do the comparison for myself between GLM, Dirac and REW filters (and using REW to measure the result of each product of course). My gut feeling is that GLM is 'safer' and won't yield as good results as an aggressive convolution filter for a single listening position.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been meaning to do the comparison for myself between GLM, Dirac and REW filters (and using REW to measure the result of each product of course). My gut feeling is that GLM is 'safer' and won't yield as good results as an aggressive convolution filter for a single listening position.
GLM is designed to be low latency so certainly if you allow the amount of latency Dirac does or even worse FIR filter setups often do, you should achieve better correction.

kthulhutu

GLM is designed to be low latency so certainly if you allow the amount of latency Dirac does or even worse FIR filter setups often do, you'll get achieve better correction.
What program do you use to generate FIR filters out of interest

bloomdido

I don't own a Genelec but could hear that sound on the Harvest's first song pretty well with below average volume on my speakers (which have quite a linear FR but I think much less "ideal" speakers would make it sound clear enough too). So I agree with those saying it's not Genelecs, it's your attention.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
"Too revealing" sounds like a strange concept to me. What shouldn't it reveal in order to reveal enough but not too much?

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
The 2:02 klunk has little to do with Genelecs, pretty obvious on the speakers on an iPad too.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
The squeaky kick drum pedal on Since I've Been Lovin You is a standout for me.

Something wrong with my ears.? I do not notice it.., where and how is it obvious? Do you mean the strange klick in the one channel at bout 6:48

audio2920

Not *necessarily* true of the OP's particular example, but just as a sort of counter argument, if you will.... These days it's easy to sit with your head in a Protools and clean everything up to within an inch of it's life, or beyond. Even a child could probably do that. I think at some point you just have call it character.

Sure you can remove the odd instrument noise here and there, but then, having removed the most offending layer of noises, clicks and so on, there's another layer, and another one, and so on. One could probably do 50 passes on each individual mic taking "sounds" out. But somewhere in there is a line to be walked with taking the life out of the recording vs having it sound "clean" and "modern".

Everyone will have their own taste on where one should stop with cleanup (or even, start, maybe!?) but for every noise that's left in because it wasn't heard, or they thought "s*d it, we've got bigger fish to fry" there's probably another that was left in to avoid disappearing down the cleanup rabbit hole.

(Obviously in the analogue days, a fix would mean going for another take, at least of the section with issue, which may not be as good as the original performance they captured. Or maybe getting the scissors out for some time consuming edit to try and patch up from a pre-existing take, which may also ultimately come out worse than leaving it alone.)

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Too revealing" sounds like a strange concept to me. What shouldn't it reveal in order to reveal enough but not too much?
"Too revealing" can mean too much upper mids---somewhere in the region of 2.5khz the sense of presence/proximity can be adjusted up and down with PEQ. My Stax earspeakers had a bump in that frequency region, my Drop 6XX headphones do not. That "too revealing" part is listening fatigue, ear burn. The Stax were super-detailed. They also induced headaches after long listening sessions, and as I used the headphones for monitoring the concerts I recorded or at sessions for CDs I had a lot of headaches when I used them.

levimax

Major Contributor
"Too revealing" can mean too much upper mids---somewhere in the region of 2.5khz the sense of presence/proximity can be adjusted up and down with PEQ. My Stax earspeakers had a bump in that frequency region, my Drop 6XX headphones do not. That "too revealing" part is listening fatigue, ear burn. The Stax were super-detailed. They also induced headaches after long listening sessions, and as I used the headphones for monitoring the concerts I recorded or at sessions for CDs I had a lot of headaches when I used them.
Are you sure the headaches weren't caused by 500+ volts within millimeters of you brain? :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
Are you sure the headaches weren't caused by 500+ volts within millimeters of you brain? :)
Ah yes, halcyon daze of yore. Wouldn't mind having my microphones again. Don't mind not having the "earspeakers".

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why I love live recordings. The mistakes or incidentals all make it more real.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Something wrong with my ears.? I do not notice it.., where and how is it obvious? Do you mean the strange klick in the one channel at bout 6:48
No, you can hear it at the first kick drum hit around 0:05 and then afterwards.

Top Bottom