• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Genelec 8341a speakers too revealing?? Any other recording studio mishaps that made it through to commercial release?

ctakim

Forum Donor
Spent the day setting up Dirac Live on the MiniDSP SHD Studio that are feeding my new Genelec 8341A speakers I'm using them as nearfield desktop computer monitors. But I was pretty shocked at what I was hearing that I did not appreciate before. One of the first songs I listened to was Neil Young's Out On The Weekend, which is the first track on his Harvest album. At 2:02 min in there was a non-musical thunk in the right channel that sounded like someone hit the body of their acoustic guitar. I had never heard that before despite listening to this album hundreds of times in the past. Honestly, it was jarring. I checked to be sure that it was not an artifact from ripping the CD but it was on the streaming remastered version of the Album on Qobuz.

I'd like to know if anyone else can confirm that they hear this and that I'm not imagining things.

I remember noting Recording Studio errors on other recordings including hearing a faint background phone ringing on a Hilary Hahn Violin Concerto CD that I only detected after listening on my headphones.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At 2:02 min in there was a non-musical thunk in the right channel that sounded like someone hit the body of their acoustic guitar. I had never heard that before despite listening to this album hundreds of times in the past.

Yep, definitely there. Doesn't require Genelecs to hear it either, it's pretty obvious on my desktop Vanatoo T0s as well(and of course also on my Genelecs, lol).

OP
ctakim

ctakim

Forum Donor
LOL It was probably more of a function that I was listening closely and switching the DIRAC Live signal processing on and off that made it stand out, but it was the first time I noted it!

dfuller

Major Contributor
The squeaky kick drum pedal on Since I've Been Lovin You is a standout for me.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Neil Young Archives Vol. 1: 1963–1972 - Disc 02 – Topanga 1 (1968–1969) - 13. "Cowgirl in the Sand" (10:06) – Neil Young with Crazy Horse

Listen for the impatient guitarist at the beginning and either Neil or Danny Whitten working the whammy bar during the solos.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Get used to it especially with orchestra or ensemble. Unless you totally do music with synthesiser. These sort of thing will pop out.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
All three discs of this set, one channel's content is inverted.

1649561779289.png

jonfitch

The power response of The Ones is slightly elevated from 300-700hz. This causes the soundstage to sound a bit more front-row, and also causes percussion sounds to be a little louder than on most speakers when I listed to the 8341s. It was definitely their most unique trait for me as most speakers are more rolled off in this region.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL It was probably more of a function that I was listening closely and switching the DIRAC Live signal processing on and off that made it stand out, but it was the first time I noted it!
And this is exactly what often happens when people buy new stuff. They tend to listen more closely and then suddenly hear some new detail and attribute this to the new gear, while in reality it’s just your brain paying extra attention. It’s a selffulfilling prophecy really, and an excellent marketing tool.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Spent the day setting up Dirac Live on the MiniDSP SHD Studio that are feeding my new Genelec 8341A speakers I'm using them as nearfield desktop computer monitors. But I was pretty shocked at what I was hearing that I did not appreciate before. One of the first songs I listened to was Neil Young's Out On The Weekend, which is the first track on his Harvest album. At 2:02 min in there was a non-musical thunk in the right channel that sounded like someone hit the body of their acoustic guitar. I had never heard that before despite listening to this album hundreds of times in the past. Honestly, it was jarring. I checked to be sure that it was not an artifact from ripping the CD but it was on the streaming remastered version of the Album on Qobuz.

I'd like to know if anyone else can confirm that they hear this and that I'm not imagining things.

I remember noting Recording Studio errors on other recordings including hearing a faint background phone ringing on a Hilary Hahn Violin Concerto CD that I only detected after listening on my headphones.
Years ago I ripped with no errors a relative's CD of Harvest. I noticed that annoying noise, checked the CD and heard it on CD playback too. I assumed it must be a faulty release. When the remastered version of Harvest was issued I was sure they'd have fixed it and bought it. Same noise!
You don't need fancy gear to hear it. I would have been using an iRiver H140 or H340 and some fairly ordinary earbuds or IEMs.

DavidMcRoy

If you listen with better-than-average headphones, you’ll notice that 99% of vocal tracks are distorted. (I avoid listening with headphones.)

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Spent the day setting up Dirac Live on the MiniDSP SHD Studio that are feeding my new Genelec 8341A speakers...
Why don't you use glm? Just curious.

BDE

Spent the day setting up Dirac Live on the MiniDSP SHD Studio that are feeding my new Genelec 8341A speakers I'm using them as nearfield desktop computer monitors. [...]

For me the major question is why are you using Dirac Live and not GLM as room EQ?
A comparision would be nice ;)

Penelinfi

I've been hearing sounds in some songs I listen to that trigger my "it was someone else in the house moving things" response a lot in my Behringer monitors. They do a lot right to my ears, though eventually I'd like to hear a 2-way with waveguide that uses more high tech drivers. And hopefully retains the fullness of bass. Most newer speakers seem to be using 6.5" whereas these Behringers are using about 8.5"

RobL

Anyone know what the “wheezy” sounds are at the beginning of “Forever in blue jeans” ?

OP
ctakim

ctakim

Forum Donor
Why don't you use glm? Just curious.
Shipping on the GLM kit was delayed and arrived after the MiniDSP Studio with DIRAC Live. So I will do a GLM comparison at some point, now that I have both. It will just take some time as this is a part time hobby (but a fun one!). Happy to post my measurements and thoughts here when I do.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Sounds like a toilet being flushed.

I've been using gear [headphone, that is] that exposes this sort of "extra-musical" stuff all the time, feet shuffling in orchestral recordings, or this interesting bit of flutter on the voice only, with the musical backdrop holding steady [something of a mystery how this could of happened] @ 1:27-1:30:

For over a decade when I was getting paid [according to Social Security, not very much] to be a "recording engineer", I used Stax earspeakers. In reality I'm nobody's engineer. For that you'll want to talk to my brother, he's working on flying cars. I think "recordist" is more like it. Say what you will, but the Stax gear excelled at exposing things that go bump in recordings, proving to be exceptionally useful for editing. What I'm using now---Drop HD 6XX, APO EQ, Topping E/L 30---is not quite as sharp at exposing "noises off" as the Stax 'phones, but more than good enough for the purpose.

Top Bottom