• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Denon X-series AVRs: Full Disconnect of Amps Possible

beren777

Can you disable or reassign amps arbitrarily? Would be nice to disable L/R/C and leave the other amps on for surround speakers.

thepiecesfit

It's a shame you can't custom disconnect custom channels like the x8500h. Maybe Denon should get back in the pre-amp business if they are going to go this route?

madbrayniak

There is another thread that is saying you can disconnect just the L and R.

Not sure how true it is yet

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They should just make a cheaper pure "pre" AVR with so many cheap powerful multi-channel power amps available.

It doesn't exist because there's no market for it. Most people buying these low cost AVRs don't have interest in chaining a bunch of boxes and cables together to achieve the(to them) same result.

Marantz does make prepros, like the AV7705 and 8805, they are just only at the high end because you can only justify manufacturing them in small numbers if you jack up the price.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Watch the video at minute 44 or so they talk about that capability.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They should just make a cheaper pure "pre" AVR...Ditch the internal power amps all together in a sub $1000 pre unit....
It doesn't exist because there's no market for it...you can only justify manufacturing them in small numbers if you jack up the price.
Actually if you don't have many customers, the small numbers greatly increase the production cost and that increases the price, plus more specialty items generally are sold for more profit margin, that's just business. Oh, and amortizing the design/testing engineering and tooling into the smaller quantity also drives up the price.

Most AVRs with most speakers I'd guess play loud enough for most people, and that's why pre-pros and amps are a niche market.

But I do wish you could turn off individual channels-my friend will get a 9-channel and only use 5. If he could turn off the other 4 it would be less heat.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
A bit off topic but thought I'd add this to the thread anyway. The new additions to the lower-end Denon AVR line -- the "S" series -- have just been announced. Or at least the S960 has.
Not much to write home about, some HDMI 2.1 / 8k stuff, etc. But this did catch my eye:

New Convenient Audyssey Feature
The AVR-S960H now supports Dual Audyssey Preset function which allows users to store and instantly switch between two Audyssey configurations. For example, users can store both the Audyssey calibration result straight from the receiver and a customized MultEQ curve or frequency range made through the Audyssey MultEQ editor app on the receiver simultaneously, allowing users to easily compare differences and select their preference. Listeners can also perform Audyssey measurements for two different speaker settings, including 2.0 for music listening and 5.1.4 for movie surround.

DLxP

A bit off topic but thought I'd add this to the thread anyway. The new additions to the lower-end Denon AVR line -- the "S" series -- have just been announced. Or at least the S960 has.
Not much to write home about, some HDMI 2.1 / 8k stuff, etc. But this did catch my eye:

That's quite an interesting feature. Being able to switch between filters on the fly is something I've found useful with Dirac, as a way of honing in on preferences (e.g. do I prefer a curtain at the transition frequency, or do I prefer full range correction? Do I prefer a +4dB or a +2dB house curve? etc.).

The current Audyssey app-based approach allows switching between calibrations fairly easily, as you can store multiple .ady files on your phone and upload them. But that process takes ~20 seconds, which makes comparison much more difficult.

Top Bottom