• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New DAC for mastering

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The limiting factor in what there is to choose from will be the need for 24 dbu output. The RME which now uses ESS is one of the better choices. The Motu Ultralite Mk 5 would be another if you could get by with 21 dbu output.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you ever done a proper lever matched blind comparison? What interfaces have you heard that had these issues?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Zensō

Major Contributor
What I feel with AKM:
There is always a bright sheen, a bit mid forward and thin, also a bit grossly lo-fi.
The image is nothing but true and the low end not precise.

I have good experience with ESS, Analog Devices, Burr Brown
Thanks.
OK, thanks. I've never had those feelings with any of the AKM or ESS DACs I've used, which measured and sounded transparent and identical to me. Good luck in your search.

knkkskknk

I find the way you guys ganged up on the poor guy sad, he was just looking for a good dac for mastering that isn't AKM. Obviously the wrong forum to ask the question though. I've heard other mastering egineers say the same, how RME is good but "sterile" "not musical" compared to lavry golds or Merging Hapi / Merging Anubis

My question for all of you is:
Have you done double blind listening tests with any Lavry Gold, Merging Hapi, Merging Anubis, Burr Browns, ADI-2, DCS 954 (from 1995, which many say is still really great)
How do you determine that a dac IS INFACT neutral and true to the source? (From other ppls opinions? Cause Someone online told you?)
Why do you think Specs determines how good a DAC is?
Why do you think a DAC can only sound Neutral or Not Neutral? What about musical?

Maybe everything you think you know about DACs is wrong and you've influenced by other factors???

Audio is subjective afterall...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the way you guys ganged up on the poor guy sad, he was just looking for a good dac for mastering that isn't AKM. Obviously the wrong forum to ask the question though. I've heard other mastering egineers say the same, how RME is good but "sterile" "not musical" compared to lavry golds or Merging Hapi / Merging Anubis

Have you done double blind listening tests with any Lavry Gold, Merging Hapi, Merging Anubis, Burr Browns, ADI-2, DCS 954 (from 1995, which many say is still really great)
How do you determine that a dac IS INFACT neutral and true to the source? (From other ppls opinions? Cause Someone online told you?)
Why do you think a DAC can only sound Neutral or Not Neutral? What about musical?

Maybe everything you think you know about DACs is wrong and you've influenced by other factors???

I have a question for you. Other than frequency response what is a hypothesis for how a DAC sounds musical vs a transparent one? You see there is the long history of analog mindset with digital audio that misleads. The musical DAC is one such. So what thing(s) make a DAC musical if it isn't neutral?

Beave

Major Contributor

Your profile states that you have been a member here for over 2 years. In that time, have you read *ANY* of the threads about DAC testing? Have you watched any of Amir's videos about DAC testing? About level-matched blind listening comparisons? About audio measurements?

JSmith

Master Contributor
giphy.gif

JSmith

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

.., because we just know.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might get more useful suggestions at gearspace or the Bob Katz forum at digido.com

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Those golden ears crack me up when claiming “oh the RME sounds such and such … because of that awful AKM chip” while they have been using ESS for quite a while. And surprise, none of them noticed. One wonders why.

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those golden ears crack me up when claiming “oh the RME sounds such and such … because of that awful AKM chip” while they have been using ESS for quite a while. And surprise, none of them noticed. One wonders why.
The only way anyone knows what chip is in a DAC is because they read it on the spec sheet or in a review.

Audiophiles thinking they can identify the chip by its 'sonic signature' is risible, embarrassing nonsense.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

How well do you understand the specs and measurements done?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So close.

Top Bottom