• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New DAC for mastering

pedrovillas

Hello,

I’m trying to find a new DAC for my mastering studio.

One of the converters I really like is the Lynx Hilo.
I don’t really like the Universal Audio interface ones or Crane Song stuff, all AKM. So I’m staying away from AKM stuff.

Lavry Gold Savitr or Quintessence is the standard for mastering purposes as well as Bricasti MC1 nowadays.
I don’t have budget for those. 5-8k.

Would like to know if someone here could give me any input inside brands like SMSL, since are converters that I don’t know.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What features are you looking for in terms of inputs and outputs?
Do you need clock input? What output voltage do you need?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You certainly don’t need to spend anywhere near that much, have a look at the RME range, they are really superbly engineered.
Keith

OP
P

pedrovillas

What features are you looking for in terms of inputs and outputs?
Do you need clock input? What output voltage do you need?
I just need 1 digital input, AES would be great and 2 XLR output.
I also don't need a monitor volume control.
Clock input is not a mandatory thing, since it could clock via AES.
I need +24dbu.

Thanks

OP
P

pedrovillas

You certainly don’t need to spend anywhere near that much, have a look at the RME range, they are really superbly engineered.
Keith
I was getting away from RME because its an AKM. Every converter with AKM I have tried I hated.
Only reason.

Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
I just need 1 digital input, AES would be great and 2 XLR output.
I also don't need a monitor volume control.
Clock input is not a mandatory thing, since it could clock via AES.
I need +24dbu.

Thanks
None of the Chinese brands like Topping, SMSL, Sabaj etc. offer +24dBu output afaik. The most they can do is +16.5dBu.

The okto dac8 Stereo can be ordered with custom voltage to give you +24dBu at 0dBFS input.
It's been measured here and here. It's fully transparent.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Uh-huh.
I always imagined audio ‘pros’ would be more technically minded.
You and nobody else would be able to tell the difference between chips in a properly engineered implementation.
Keith

JSmith

Master Contributor
need +24dbu.
Alas, even though Benchmark documents that the unit by default outputs 24 dBu (12 volts RMS), it puts out copious more output than that.
I think the models released since run ESS after the AKM fire;

JSmith

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It uses AKM , input up to 32.5dBu, has AES, volume control bypass, can use external clock .

Benchmark uses ESS but it doesn't have AES. I don't see how you would hear any difference but you seem to have some reason for wanting to avoid AKM. You might find a Lynx or Bricasti used.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uh-huh.
You and nobody else would be able to tell the difference between chips in a properly engineered implementation.
Keith
++++1 besides that the RME ADI 2 is ESS nowadays due to the fire at AKM :)

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I would suggest shopping within your budget based on the features you absolutely need and with some forward thinking about where you might go in the future.
No need to worry about the converters inside as no one will be able to hear a difference between AKM and ESS in a competently engineered converter.

OP
P

pedrovillas

Uh-huh.
Keith
Well, it depends on which audio "pros" are u referring.
First of all, Im not an electronics engineer, and I don't wanna be.
I sit and work in music 12 hours per day. And music is my focus, not the price and look of the gear.
Im not a cocky snobe listening throw a 100k system while the wife makes the dinner.
I use tools that serves my work. if doesn't work, I don't use. And the AKM I have tried doesn't work for me.

Thank you.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
And the AKM I have tried doesn't work for me.
Which model converters (complete units) specifically with what kind of DAC chips would that be? What kind of digital levels are you running? Are you using volume normalization when picking a mastering level? (Not doing so would make you very prone to falling victim to the "louder = better" effect, which would result in needlessly hot masters.)

Hitting 0 dBFS+ on a regular basis, aside from excessive periodic passband ripple, is about the only thing that might explain a difference... and even then AKM and Cirrus DACs should be better than average, as opposed to say ESS and high-end TI/BB which have a habit of hard-clipping at 0 dBFS due to ASRC. It is an area that is best avoided altogether - with DACs providing >>110 dB of dynamic range you can easily afford it. (Some models of DAC are actually providing some extra internal headroom on the DSP side.)

Note that even with all the experience in the world and no matter how good you are you will still be somewhat prone to fooling yourself. Much more so when you think that there is no way in hell this is possible, in fact. Human senses are fallible and may be influencing each other, and humans have a habit of seeing patterns where there are none.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Pick any of these that you can get locally with good warranty:

index.php
None of these do +24dBu, which OP needs.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 Pro FS R, as well as ADI-2/4 PRO SE would work. The latter uses ESS DACs.
Motu Ultralite MK5 may also work. Also uses ESS.

I’m also very curious why AKM DAC chips are supposed to be crap?

Lavry Gold Savitr or Quintessence is the standard for mastering purposes as well as Bricasti MC1 nowadays.
These look pretty old school and outdated by modern standards. All interfaces I mentioned will be more transparent than these, for way less money. Nevertheless, if you’d buy a second hand one, you should still get excellent sound.

Last edited:
OP
P

pedrovillas

I’m curious to know why the AKM chips don’t work for you?
What I feel with AKM:
There is always a bright sheen, a bit mid forward and thin, also a bit grossly lo-fi.
The image is nothing but true and the low end not precise.

I have good experience with ESS, Analog Devices, Burr Brown
Thanks.

Top Bottom