• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Beatles Song!

posvibes

It sounds to me very much in the groove of the Double Fantasy album, which I am not a great fan of, although I do prefer the stripped back version of that particular disc.

What comes to mind, lyrically, is it a song to the Beatles? Is it a nod to them, especially to McCartney a thank you? At first I thought it might be a typical Lennon paen of the time to Yoko, but it sounds like a thank you to his band mates, friends and fellow travelers.

Any thoughts?

beagleman

Major Contributor
I am a mild Beatles fan, but wow, not even sure what to say.

It sounds like a leftover "Move" outtake, or something. Very bland, mediocre sound quality, and just almost like I felt nothing over it.

I am sure dyed in the wool fans will swoon over this, but just not impressive, not horrible, just.....just just, it just is I guess,:facepalm:

MrSoul4470

You're absolutely right. It's just nothing special, kind-of boring. Not what everyone was hoping for. And I think they could have made more out of that demo recording. Instrumentation seems not complete to me. Like they are still working on it.

beagleman

Major Contributor
You're absolutely right. It's just nothing special, kind-of boring. Not what everyone was hoping for. And I think they could have made more out of that demo recording. Instrumentation seems not complete to me. Like they are still working on it.
It in all seriousness STILL sounds like a John Lennon Demo, or an idea he was contemplating.
Not offensive or horrible, but just barely half baked.

Not even sure why, but I tend to hear it more as a Jeff Lynne/Move type of song. But not a great one, just a song.

bunnyfuzz

The Beatles are being used to beckon the entire world towards discernment over what is real and what is fake: what is truth and what is deception. What we want to be true, but isn't; what we can't believe is true, but is!
I like the song much more when I hear and see this

vs just watching/listening to this

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am a mild Beatles fan, but wow, not even sure what to say.

It sounds like a leftover "Move" outtake, or something. Very bland, mediocre sound quality, and just almost like I felt nothing over it.
I agree, I didn't like it at all. It sounds... strange, unnatural, a bit distant, like there is no soul to it.

JSmith

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am going to comment w/o even listening to it (now or ever)::rolleyes:
  • Okay, Beatles were something revolutionary back in the 1960s.
  • Yes, many of Beatles songs rightfully became 'classics'; in every sense of that word.
  • Yet, there is a certain smell of nostalgic-marketing intent in this new release.
Veni, vidi, vici, non mi piace!

Chester

I haven't heard the complete song yet, just watched this video on the making of last night which I found interesting as to how it finally came about after all these years

Did anyone else spot the Kii Three’s in Paul’s studio :D

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hmm...
The new film discussed technical issues hampering the surviving Beatles’ intention to rework Now and Then in the mid-90s as well: there were meant to be three “new” Beatles songs, one for each volume of the Anthology compilations, but the sessions for this song were abandoned as Lennon’s vocals and piano couldn’t be separated for the new mix. This was a slightly different version of events to the one given by McCartney a decade ago. Then, he claimed the late George Harrison – always the most unbiddable ex-Beatle – had singlehandedly drawn the sessions to a close by describing Now and Then as “fucking rubbish”. (“But it’s John!” McCartney had apparently protested, to no avail: “This is fucking rubbish,” Harrison countered.) Indeed, Harrison seemed unsure about the whole idea of reworking Lennon’s material. “I hope someone does this to all my crap demos after I’m dead – turn them into hit songs,” he subsequently remarked, which perhaps wasn’t the promotional boost for the new songs Apple was after.

JSmith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a Beatles fan but liked this song very much. Simple musical phrases, but well executed and sung. I am glad it was finally released. Magical software to extract the voice from the piano recording did the trick.

Top Bottom