• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Never downloaded music - where to go?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you mind clarifying that statement? tia

Not sure but I took it to mean if you download or add to a playlist from a subscription service you can lose access as the service maintains or doesn't maintain access to that music. I've watched some of my streaming service playlists change a lot as time goes on....sometimes it even comes back.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure but I took it to mean if you download or add to a playlist from a subscription service you can lose access as the service maintains or doesn't maintain access to that music. I've watched some of my streaming service playlists change a lot as time goes on....sometimes it even comes back.

Agreed. Some labels/ artists catalogues seem to drift in and out. Its annoying the odd few times I want to find one particular track I thought was there only to find it greyed out or missing entirely.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Wazthat :rolleyes:
Please develop, my Russian is poor.

You can use the translation on the fly with chrome. it'ss the website where you can find the links for downloading music or other documents. It's not legal I suppose in the USA, but for me it's the better answer to the question in a semantic point of view.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use the translation on the fly with chrome. it'ss the website where you can find the links for downloading music or other documents. It's not legal I suppose in the USA, but for me it's the better answer to the question in a semantic point of view.
Not using Chrome, but surely other navigators have a plugin in that sense.
I imagined that it wasn't legal.
That's why I won't dig any further and respect the artists.
Thanks for your response anyway.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would you mind clarifying that statement? tia

As others have clarified, material can just disappear from streaming services. I've seen whole artists go missing from Spotify. Quite annoying if you wanted to play something by that artist. It's not a permanent collection, unlike if you buy a physical media item (however some CDs have bronzed and become unplayable, for example).
There was something about iTunes libraries being non-transferrable some time back, I think the movie star Bruce Willis was complaining that he couldn't leave the music he purchased in a will to his family. With CD, Cassette, Vinyl this was never a problem, the rights police never came and seized your stuff when you died.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rutracker.org is the Russian equivalent of Pirate Bay. It is a torrent site. I avoid torrents likes the plague. You never know what your gonna get and downloading music via peer-to-peer networks is theft.

Martin
Thanks Martin,

I figured so .

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a lot of locally sited content to grunt through before I think about streaming. It could happen.

I have close to 2,000 hours of music on my NAS server. I ripped over 1,500 CDs to FLAC years ago. Since then I've been buying ALAC or FLAC files and new or used CDs if I can't find a digital copy. I immediately rip the CD and throw it in a box; I have several hundred CDs I need to sell or donate. I have yet to find a reason to stream music.

Martin

Daverz

Major Contributor
The OP didn't ask, but these are my usual download sites for classical music:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical
https://www.qobuz.com (requires a membership to download)
https://www.supraphonline.cz/ A lot more than just Supraphon music here. You can often get really good deals. There's a small charge for using Paypal.
https://www.eclassical.com/ The place to download Bis multi-channel recordings, but also other labels. Don't forget to check the Daily Deals.
https://www.prostudiomasters.com/ Sometimes good deals on hi-res downloads.
https://www.chandos.net/

swampbrain

Usenet newsgroups are the cheapest way to find 10's of thousands of songs of varying resolution.
alt.binaries.sounds.flac is a good group to start with...... I've added many albums and individual songs to my collection via usenet. There used to be a semi steep learning curve to using usenet but its become much simpler since web-based newsgroup services became a thing.
Some people might have a moral issue with free (pirated*) music tho.
Its definitely a safer alternatives vs torrents (which someone mentioned earlier) imo.

I've recently started looking at HDTracks, Amazon's HD service, and I've purchased a few individual tracks from 7digital.com also.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have close to 2,000 hours of music on my NAS server. I ripped over 1,500 CDs to FLAC years ago. Since then I've been buying ALAC or FLAC files and new or used CDs if I can't find a digital copy. I immediately rip the CD and throw it in a box; I have several hundred CDs I need to sell or donate. I have yet to find a reason to stream music.

Martin

Around the house I "stream" such files, tho....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pirated music ≠ free music.
I stopped collecting pirated music about 14 years ago. Now I just use YouTube. I prefer having the videos with my music anyway. The selection on YouTube is excellent nowadays. :D

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped collecting pirated music about 14 years ago. Now I just use YouTube. I prefer having the videos with my music anyway. The selection on YouTube is excellent nowadays. :D

I like YouTube, too. I’ve found a number of new artists that way. I love buying directly from artists via their web/Facebook page or sites like Bandcamp.

Martin

JW001

Martin
If you listen to classical music, the reason for streaming is to have access to tens or hundreds of performances of the same compositions and find those that you like the most. That's why I subscribe to Amazon HD Music Unlimited - for their huge library of recordings. It's true that their metadata is poor, but I have the Internet for that.

Top Bottom