• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150+kh750 2.1 vs Neumann KH310?

PatriceA

Hello,
I am from France and new to this forum. And I do have the very same question: KH150 + sub ou KH 310. 420 option is above budget. It is not that easy to listen to both setup in a comparative way.
There are rumours about a new 310 coming early 2024, with MA-1 (V2) room alignment. Could anyone comment? My room is 16 sqm with awkward speakers' placement. DSP with room correction is a must. Which Genelec would be an alternative? HiFi listening, no studio monitoring, listening position at 3.5m.

Waxx

Major Contributor
In a square room subs are always better, but only when they are multiples. Room modes are very strong in a square room because one frequency is resonating in several directions. If you can't afford multiple, start with one but add one later.

On KH150 vs KH310, the 310 is better, but has little low subbass on it's own. If you can live with a reponse to 40Hz and don't want very loud volume, i would go for the 310, and maybe add subs later. You can use dsp in a seperate device if you don't want to buy subs, the Neumann MA1 is good, but others like MiniDSP Flex are also. The KH150 does not go that low (flat response to 50Hz) but is a lot cheaper. But with subs i would rather get the KH120 MKII's and 2 subs than the KH150 with one. The KH120 goes low enough to meet the subs and loud enough for a space like that and is cheaper (so more budget for subs).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
In a square room subs are always better, but only when they are multiples. Room modes are very strong in a square room because one frequency is resonating in several directions. If you can't afford multiple, start with one but add one later.

On KH150 vs KH310, the 310 is better, but has little low subbass on it's own. If you can live with a reponse to 40Hz and don't want very loud volume, i would go for the 310, and maybe add subs later. You can use dsp in a seperate device if you don't want to buy subs, the Neumann MA1 is good, but others like MiniDSP Flex are also. The KH150 does not go that low (flat response to 50Hz) but is a lot cheaper. But with subs i would rather get the KH120 MKII's and 2 subs than the KH150 with one. The KH120 goes low enough to meet the subs and loud enough for a space like that and is cheaper (so more budget for subs).
KH150 and KH310 specs :
Screenshot_20231213_101651_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231213_101629_Chrome.jpg

PatriceA

Thanks for your comments and advice. My room is 3.75m x 4.2m (not square) and speakers would be 2.3m apart. I get that 120 V2 + sub would be a good choice. Any view on coming 310 V2 ? And Genelec alternative? I will probably go for a listening session this morning.

feitaishi

Thanks for your comments and advice. My room is 3.75m x 4.2m (not square) and speakers would be 2.3m apart. I get that 120 V2 + sub would be a good choice. Any view on coming 310 V2 ? And Genelec alternative? I will probably go for a listening session this morning.
please share your listening session experience

Waxx

Major Contributor
No ID of the new 310, i missed that rumour. And about your room, it's still almost square so still mulitple subs needed to fight that. You need at least 2, set assymetrical in the room, preferable more even. To know why read this: https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/history-of-multi-sub-sfm

PatriceA

Back from listening session at Star's Music in Paris (pro audio). Their "auditorium" is sub-par! But at least they have a few speakers from Neumann and Genelec connected.
My main HiFi system is: Cambridge Audio Streamer CXN V2 and amplifier CXA 81 on ATC SCM 100 passive speakers (legacy, 25 years old, massive monitors); to give readers an idea of what my old ears are used to!
I listened to Neumann KH 120.2 / KH 150 / KH 310 and Genelec 8040 (the only model hooked on). No sub connected either.
Subjective comments: 120.2 and 150 roughly sounded the same with more headroom on 150 and more bass. A bit flat and slightly harsh on upper medium and treble. Good overall.
310 better on all aspects, maybe this dome medium (my ATCs have also a dome medium); very good overall. They are on my short list. Rumors of an upcoming 310.2 were confirmed (the rumor not the fact). It will have the MA-1 room correction that I will need (the current 310 doesn't have).
The Genelec 8040 is surprisingly good (under those listening conditions); at 865 € / pc, it is hard to beat. But my target is more the 8331 (because I need GLM room correction) or equivalent.
To sum up, Neumann KH 310 V2 is expected. I will try to listen to other Genelec (I am impressed by this brand). And I also have Buchardt A10 on my short list but no solution for test listening.

Infinit0

Back from listening session at Star's Music in Paris (pro audio). Their "auditorium" is sub-par! But at least they have a few speakers from Neumann and Genelec connected.
My main HiFi system is: Cambridge Audio Streamer CXN V2 and amplifier CXA 81 on ATC SCM 100 passive speakers (legacy, 25 years old, massive monitors); to give readers an idea of what my old ears are used to!
I listened to Neumann KH 120.2 / KH 150 / KH 310 and Genelec 8040 (the only model hooked on). No sub connected either.
Subjective comments: 120.2 and 150 roughly sounded the same with more headroom on 150 and more bass. A bit flat and slightly harsh on upper medium and treble. Good overall.
310 better on all aspects, maybe this dome medium (my ATCs have also a dome medium); very good overall. They are on my short list. Rumors of an upcoming 310.2 were confirmed (the rumor not the fact). It will have the MA-1 room correction that I will need (the current 310 doesn't have).
The Genelec 8040 is surprisingly good (under those listening conditions); at 865 € / pc, it is hard to beat. But my target is more the 8331 (because I need GLM room correction) or equivalent.
To sum up, Neumann KH 310 V2 is expected. I will try to listen to other Genelec (I am impressed by this brand). And I also have Buchardt A10 on my short list but no solution for test listening.
if you liked 8040 you have the 8340 with GLM, 8331 is more expensive because is the ones line 3way

Henridesmetal

Hello,

@PatriceA I also live in France, and a year ago I went to listen to Star’s Music (in Lyon where I live). It was to find desktop speakers.
Before going there I was thinking of opting for the KH120A which I had heard a few years ago and which I loved. In the listening room there were also Focal, Adam, Yamaha, and a pair of Genelec 8040s. To my great surprise, I quite clearly preferred the Genelec listening compared to all the others. And after that I bought a pair of 8350s without listening to them, but thinking that they would have the same "character" as the 8040s. I have never been disappointed, they are even more impressive than the 8040s at all levels. Two weeks later I bought some KH150s to compare and returned the Neumanns. They sounded good but not as good to my taste as the 8350 (I had written on this site to give my impressions between the two, totally subjective impressions of course!).

Initially the 8350 were in my office (a small room of 10m²) and this summer out of curiosity I installed them in my living room (50m²). Wow!!! I already loved them in my office, but in the living room I love them even more! Particularly the bass which took on a magnificent magnitude. And I find that we feel the music even more physically in these conditions.
And the power is more than sufficient for me, with GLM I set the maximum volume at -15db to avoid any risk with my young children, and even in these conditions I am never at 100%. The hardest part was negotiating with my wife so that the 8350 could stay in the living room, but faced with my motivation she gave in :D

I then took a DMP-A6 (very good device!) and with the Genelec remote control I arrived at a solution that was quite easy to control, with great sound. I don't feel the need to add a subwoofer, it's more than enough for me.

My office hasn't had any speakers for a few months, so 2 weeks ago I picked up a pair of KH120 II. They have the advantage of being more compact than the 8350 on a desk, and their sound is very good! Especially since I haven't made any adjustments so far (I have the MA1 but I haven't had time to plug it in yet). I don't regret my purchase, and I think my ears appreciate their sound more and more. And what a reserve of power, they are very impressive for their size! Out of curiosity I placed them in the living room instead of the 8350, but there they cannot compete, especially in terms of bass, which is completely normal.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank @amirm and the members of ASR, because I was completely new to sound, and the purchases I made were largely thanks to reading this forum and the tests. I wouldn't have thought it at first, but the quality of these products has greatly increased the pleasure I have in listening to music (because it's only listening for pleasure as far as I'm concerned).

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

Hello,

@PatriceA I also live in France, and a year ago I went to listen to Star’s Music (in Lyon where I live). It was to find desktop speakers.
Before going there I was thinking of opting for the KH120A which I had heard a few years ago and which I loved. In the listening room there were also Focal, Adam, Yamaha, and a pair of Genelec 8040s. To my great surprise, I quite clearly preferred the Genelec listening compared to all the others. And after that I bought a pair of 8350s without listening to them, but thinking that they would have the same "character" as the 8040s. I have never been disappointed, they are even more impressive than the 8040s at all levels. Two weeks later I bought some KH150s to compare and returned the Neumanns. They sounded good but not as good to my taste as the 8350 (I had written on this site to give my impressions between the two, totally subjective impressions of course!).

Initially the 8350 were in my office (a small room of 10m²) and this summer out of curiosity I installed them in my living room (50m²). Wow!!! I already loved them in my office, but in the living room I love them even more! Particularly the bass which took on a magnificent magnitude. And I find that we feel the music even more physically in these conditions.
And the power is more than sufficient for me, with GLM I set the maximum volume at -15db to avoid any risk with my young children, and even in these conditions I am never at 100%. The hardest part was negotiating with my wife so that the 8350 could stay in the living room, but faced with my motivation she gave in :D

然后我拿了一个DMP-A6(非常好的设备!)通过Genelec遥控器,我找到了一个非常容易控制的解决方案,声音非常棒。我觉得没必要加低音炮,对我来说已经绰绰有余了。

我的办公室已经几个月没有扬声器了,所以两周前我买了一副KH120 II。它们的优点是比书桌上的8350更小巧,而且它们的声音非常好!尤其是到目前为止我还没有做任何调整(我有MA1但是还没来得及插上)。我不后悔我的购买,我认为我的耳朵越来越欣赏他们的声音。多么强大的力量储备,以它们的体型来说,令人印象深刻!出于好奇,我将它们放在客厅,而不是8350,但在那里它们无法竞争,特别是在低音方面,这是完全正常的。

我想借此机会感谢@amirm和ASR的成员,因为我对声音完全陌生,我所做的购买很大程度上是由于阅读了这个论坛和测试。一开始我不会想到,但这些产品的质量大大增加了我听音乐的乐趣(因为就我而言,这只是为了乐趣而听)。
Do you think the 120 II is better than the 150?

PatriceA

Thank you Henridesmetal for sharing your experience. Genelec 8350 is indeed on my list. Did you hesitate with Genelec 8331 ? As far as Neumann is concerned, i will wait end of January (supposed launching of 310 V2). Did GLA improved the "in room" quality ? My room is only 16 m2.

PatriceA

One more question to Henridesmetal. How did you connect the EverSolo to Genelecs ? Analog or digital?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I'm using my KH 150s with one of these - very happy:

1703784129548.png

Compared to the KH 750:

+ Twice the woofers - 2 x 9.5" v 1 x 10"
+ Twice the power - 500w v 256w
+ Goes lower - 16Hz v 18Hz
+ Goes louder - 110db v 105db
+ Cheaper
- Doesn't work with MA1 - I use UMIK-1 and REW.

Henridesmetal

Do you think the 120 II is better than the 150?
I listened to them 1 year apart so I'm not sure I'm in the best position to answer :D
But I think they are very similar in terms of sound. The big advantage of the KH120 II in my situation is that it is more compact, and therefore on a near-field desk it is perfect. And when I had the KH150 I didn't touch the settings and left everything by default, but sometimes it only takes 2 or 3 DSP settings for the sound to please more or adapt better to the room.
With the KH120 II and MA-1 I'm sure I'll be able to find a DSP setting that suits me well. It already sounds good out of the box, but just changing the settings on the back of the speaker makes me already find a difference that I like.

Henridesmetal

Thank you Henridesmetal for sharing your experience. Genelec 8350 is indeed on my list. Did you hesitate with Genelec 8331 ? As far as Neumann is concerned, i will wait end of January (supposed launching of 310 V2). Did GLA improved the "in room" quality ? My room is only 16 m2.

To be honest I didn't like the setting automatically offered by GLM. But GLM is a great tool that is essential for me. Thanks to him I was able to:
  • limit maximum SPL
  • adjust the sound level when switching on
  • buy a remote control that allows me to turn them on/off remotely and adjust the volume
  • make my own DSP curve according to my taste, which suits me very well
As a reminder, I only use these speakers to please myself and listen to music, and GLM really makes the experience enjoyable.

Top Bottom