• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150+kh750 2.1 vs Neumann KH310?

sysfc6

Neumann KH 150+kh750 vs Neumann KH310?
Which is better、、??

boxerfan88

I would recommend the former.

Why? That subwoofer will make a huge difference.

I currently have the KH310. It goes low but not that low. I have paired my KH310 with a subwoofer, and it is amazing.

Trell

Major Contributor
With the KH 150 + KH 750 you can use room EQ with the Neumann MA1 to have more even bass.

You could first just buy the MA 1 and the KH 150 to try out, and you’ll also have measurements to guide your placement of monitors and listening position.

I’ve two Genelec 2.1 desktop setups using Genelec GLM for room EQ, and the bass is much better by placement of subwoofer and good choice of crossover frequency. I would have the same benefit if I had Neumann monitors/subwoofer.

I've heard from a local KH150 owner that he feels KH150 is more clear and smooth than KH310, as well as better bass performance in low volume. He also owned a pair of KH310 several years ago.

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

Neumann KH 150+kh750 >Neumann KH310 +kh750??Or the opposite??
4025e40490cd43b794e92d9ec46f7ea8.jpeg

Infinit0

Usage ? Room? Poor details to help you.
One KH750 is not enough for KH150.
I would say pair of KH150 + MA1
Later on add two subs

onununo

I haven't tried KH150s, but I can tell you that I'm very happy of my main system in signature. I suggest you go for 2 KH750 to match the SPL of the main speakers with decent THD, and absolutely, get also MA-1 to eq the system.
Additional advice: a 2.1 system (2.2 in this case) designed in factory and matched in your room by the factory (using MA-1) is most always the best choice over a 2.0 system. Nevertheless, you can always start with a 2.0 setup and add the subs later on.

Last edited:

Django

Remember one sub is not enough to match spl of 150
About your question go with KH150 and ma1
The Neumann KH 150 requires TWO KH 750s ? Does the KH 310 require two ? Curious the reasoning it requires two.

Pippo71

I have the KH80 and I recently added the KH750 - I m waiting for the MA-1 to be delivered so I cannot make masurement but the result are amazing in terms of overall sound experience !

palm

The Neumann KH 150 requires TWO KH 750s ? Does the KH 310 require two ? Curious the reasoning it requires two.
Pretty sure you will find a lot of answers here on ASR. The 750 is a small sub, and when paired with 150s it becomes a limiting factor at low frequencies.

While it’s fun to add and tune a subwoofer, not sure if everyone realizes that it’s not that straightforward to do right.
And I’m saying as I have ancestors from those Neumann speakers, I have a foot switch to disable the sub and the high pass filter so the speakers play full range. And it is really challenging to improve one area without degrading another. Without this instant bypass from the listening position it’s much more difficult to evaluate carefully in my opinion.

So yes, with just 2 speakers bass response will hardly be perfect, but there is some value also in the simplicity of the setup. It’s cyclic also: there are times you dream of multiple subs with individual EQ, and times you’d rather have 2 KH 420.

I have only one sub though, it is possible that with 2 subs there are less compromises for alignment, and really smoother response.

My opinion is that unless you have high volume requirements (and or large room and listening distance) it makes more sense to either take full range speakers and don’t bother with the sub at least in short term, or to take smaller speaker and the sub. If you are going to add only one sub, go for the 120 but not the 150 or 310 because with classical bass management you are going to use them above 80Hz anyway.

mj30250

The Neumann KH 150 requires TWO KH 750s ?
A single KH 750 will hit its SPL limit sooner than a pair of KH 150s will, so if you require your system to produce more extreme volumes, the single 750 will ultimately cripple your bass output. If you don't, a single 750 would likely work well and offer the typical subwoofer advantages of deeper extension, flexibility in positioning, and relieving the monitors' woofers from having to reproduce the lower frequencies.

Django

I currently have the KH310. It goes low but not that low. I have paired my KH310 with a subwoofer, and it is amazing.
How big is your room ? I have 4 Neumann mic and NDH 20 headphone

Django

Does a sub woofer have any practical value for tracking, mixing, or mastering . I just set up the KH310. It was like tuning on the lights.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does a sub woofer have any practical value for tracking, mixing, or mastering . I just set up the KH310. It was like tuning on the lights.
If you managed to avoid SBIR-induced dips, if you don't need a lot of SPL and never work on any audio with sub 30Hz content then IMHO you don't need subs.
Otherwise subs can help a lot with that.

boxerfan88

Check out dominikz reply above (post#19).

In addition, my experience with sub is that when LF content is being played loud, the lower midrange remains very clear because the woofer isn’t strained.

Top Bottom