• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Needs help with subwoofer integration

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are you currently using as your source and/or power to the speakers / subs?

Jdunk54nl

What speakers? Are the powered or have an amp?

Jdunk54nl

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

A minidsp shd studio would work well for you. Has dirac built in.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio

Way out of my price range im afraid.

This one seems more " reasonable "

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_dcx2496_ultradrive_pro_lautsprechermanagement.htm

or this one that i posted earlier

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_arc_system_3.htm

looks like it does most of the job for you

or this one https://www.thomann.de/gb/sonarworks_soundid_ref_spk_hp_w_mic.htm

not sure which one is better sonaworks or arc system

Last edited:

Jdunk54nl

What are you using as your main source, to feed the smsl?
If using a computer, plenty if computer based eq.

The problem you are going to face is the XLR and or digital input / output of your dac and speakers. Not a lot of cheap options to handle that.

Last edited:
OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

What are you using as your main source, to feed the smsl?
If using a computer, plenty if computer based eq.

The problem you are going to face is the XLR and or digital input / output of your dac and speakers. Not a lot of cheap options to handle that.

Oh just my computer usb

Jdunk54nl

Oh just my computer usb
Do computer based eq then. You can set a lot of stuff up that way.
Grab a microphone and get software to do that.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

Do computer based eq then. You can set a lot of stuff up that way.
Grab a microphone and get software to do that.

I would if i knew what i was doing ;)

I will probably just buy that sonarworks thing and let it do it for me

Jdunk54nl

Or the arc system need to do some more research
Isn't anthem room correction only in their products? And they aren't cheap IIRC.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Way out of my price range im afraid.

This one seems more " reasonable "

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_dcx2496_ultradrive_pro_lautsprechermanagement.htm

or this one that i posted earlier

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_arc_system_3.htm

looks like it does most of the job for you

or this one https://www.thomann.de/gb/sonarworks_soundid_ref_spk_hp_w_mic.htm

not sure which one is better sonaworks or arc system
Note that the likes of Sonarworks are intended for studio use - they imply that you have a phantom powered XLR microphone input available somewhere [1] and a DAW where the software can integrate as a plugin. I would, for example, not know how to integrate Sonarworks into Foobar2000 - while there is a VST plugin for Foobar, it's traditional 32-bit software, while Sonarworks appears to support 64-bit only. I might look into a t.racks 4x4 DSP in conjunction with REW perhaps. The Sonarworks mic comes with a 0° calibration and may be worth picking up on its own for this reason alone.

[1] That, mind you, may be a good idea anyway as it gives you access to a ton of good microphones of all kinds. You may get away with something as basic as a Behringer UMC22 for these purposes (though I would rather prefer a UMC202HD or a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, budget permitting).

For a measurement mic of healthy output like the Sonarworks MEMS job (-37 dBV/Pa if you do the math) I may actually contemplate recruiting your onboard mic input (with +20 dB mic preamp), which quite probably features a higher-quality ADC than the UMC22, cobbling together a setup using
* a phantom power adapter and
* a 3.5 mm to 1x XLR cable
Sticking with Thomann, I think Millenium Pocket Phantom + pro snake Camera Cable should work, plus a regular XLR mic cable of course (BTW, the Camera Cable description says T and R are shorted but that makes no sense whatsoever as it would preclude the mics from working and that doesn't seem to be the case, possibly a copy/paste fail). Ideally you would also combine L and R channels out-of-phase (invert one, downmix to mono), but I don't know of any software that would do it in realtime.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

Note that the likes of Sonarworks are intended for studio use - they imply that you have a phantom powered XLR microphone input available somewhere [1] and a DAW where the software can integrate as a plugin. I would, for example, not know how to integrate Sonarworks into Foobar2000 - while there is a VST plugin for Foobar, it's traditional 32-bit software, while Sonarworks appears to support 64-bit only. I might look into a t.racks 4x4 DSP in conjunction with REW perhaps. The Sonarworks mic comes with a 0° calibration and may be worth picking up on its own for this reason alone.

[1] That, mind you, may be a good idea anyway as it gives you access to a ton of good microphones of all kinds. You may get away with something as basic as a Behringer UMC22 for these purposes (though I would rather prefer a UMC202HD or a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, budget permitting).

For a measurement mic of healthy output like the Sonarworks MEMS job (-37 dBV/Pa if you do the math) I may actually contemplate recruiting your onboard mic input (with +20 dB mic preamp), which quite probably features a higher-quality ADC than the UMC22, cobbling together a setup using
* a phantom power adapter and
* a 3.5 mm to 1x XLR cable
Sticking with Thomann, I think Millenium Pocket Phantom + pro snake Camera Cable should work, plus a regular XLR mic cable of course (BTW, the Camera Cable description says T and R are shorted but that makes no sense whatsoever as it would preclude the mics from working and that doesn't seem to be the case, possibly a copy/paste fail). Ideally you would also combine L and R channels out-of-phase (invert one, downmix to mono), but I don't know of any software that would do it in realtime.

Well i would need some kind of auto eq software that guides me step by step that works with my browser and Steam. Foobar would be nice too. I do have an audio interface and a microphone. AKG D5 and a Rode Ai 1.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would honestly just get Dirac live license on windows with Bass control.

and an UMIK-1 for microphone.

Dirac will do all the phase things mentioned in this thread.

OP
Aubergine

Aubergine

I would honestly just get Dirac live license on windows with Bass control.

and an UMIK-1 for microphone.

Dirac will do all the phase things mentioned in this thread.

So you think it would be better to go the software route rather than buy something like a Behringer DCX2496?

Top Bottom