• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to future proof integrate a subwoofer into my stereo system?

Hello everyone!

I am currently using Roon --> a mini pc with Roon bridge --> Topping e50 --> Naim Nait 5i integrated amp --> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand speakers in my 20m2 (215 sq ft) room. I am currently looking into integrating a subwoofer. I have looked into the Kef KC62 or SVS SB3000 Micro. My future plans are getting a 4+ channel DAC (maybe a second subwoofer) and do crossover via Audiolense which is already used for the 2.0 setup. I will also at some point in time in the future exchange the old integrated amp for a power amp, maybe a dedicated preamp and better tower speakers. My question is what is a viable way of integrating the subwoofer now without exchanging other components or buying new ones. I currently think I would use the E50 not in DAC mode but in preamp mode to control the volume (this is currently done on the integrated amp which I would then just set to 50% or something) --> Subwoofer --> Naim Nail 5i --> speaker. The KC62 would even allow high passing the speakers.

Would this be a viable and upgradable solution? Also do you think I would not degrade the signal arriving at the speakers to much?

Bonus question: Would I be able to correct the two tower speakers and the sub in a meaningful way using Audiolense as long as the Sub does not have a dedicated DAC channel?

Thank you for any input, I am just starting this journey :D

OP
S
I just read in the KC62 manual that you can also use the high level speaker inputs to integrate it into the stereo system. I guess it would be a good solution as the volume could be matched without changing it on the DAC. But I would loose the ability to high pass my tower speakers. What do you think would be a better solution?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those speakers seem to have pretty wonky FR, you might want to do some googling.

For subwoofer I would go with bit more performance than those micro subs, namely KEF's KF92 (because you seem to have the budget). You can connect that immediately with your spekers and later on with RCA.

Many of your problems will be solved by replacing DAC and Naim amplifier with good AVR such as Denon 3800. The sound quality does not change but you get bass management and room correction while getting rid of one extra box. I know AVRs are not everybodys cup of tea and people want to have separates/dedicated stereo amps for some reason but if that is not the case then consider it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Get a pair of SVS SB-1000 instead of one Micro SB-3000, buy two pairs of RCA cable's that you can split with length you need or 4x mono one's (nothing fancy). So it's E50 RCA L to left sub RCA input - RCA output to amplifier input, Same with R to R sub and back to same input on power amplifier R. Now you have stereo sub's (which you need to place close to main speakers L/R accordingly) and high pass filter @80 Hz what's left is to adjust low pass filter on subwoofer's to 80 Hz to match it and adjust volume levels for sub's/main speakers. Buy a measurement microphone like UMIK-1! Play with it and learn to use REW (not that hard really). Make a placement adjustments and such and then let REW calculate PEQ (towards your preference curve and such, with proper loudness calibration with SPL meter white/pink noise 86~88 dB stereo [83~85 mono]) and enter it in Roon (or other player like JRiver/EQ APO). That's about it with some learning and hustle (but not all that much) and for about 900$ (two SVS SB-1000 + UMIK-1). In the future consider getting MiniDSP Flex as ADC - DSP - DAC preamp.

OP
S
Those speakers seem to have pretty wonky FR, you might want to do some googling.

For subwoofer I would go with bit more performance than those micro subs, namely KEF's KF92 (because you seem to have the budget). You can connect that immediately with your spekers and later on with RCA.

Many of your problems will be solved by replacing DAC and Naim amplifier with good AVR such as Denon 3800. The sound quality does not change but you get bass management and room correction while getting rid of one extra box. I know AVRs are not everybodys cup of tea and people want to have separates/dedicated stereo amps for some reason but if that is not the case then consider it.
Hi! the KC62 was more because I like the small size. I will definitely going to audition it and thanks to your tip compare it to the KF92. The Mozarts and the NAIM were my first stereo buy. I do now know that they have a strange frequency response but EQing them with Audiolense gave me an enjoyable sound (Honestly I already liked it before In heard the difference :)). I will exchange them in the future with really decent speakers but I don't want to spend that money at the moment. I currently think that I don't want an AVR as I am doing room correction on the mini pc or Roon convolutional filters. I plan to do bass management with digital crossover in the future on the PC as well, A DAC with 4 channels will also be a future investment. As I am coming from IT I am fine with tinkering with that stuff as long as I don't loose audio quality at the end :D

Thank you!

OP
S
Get a pair of SVS SB-1000 instead of one Micro SB-3000, buy two pairs of RCA cable's that you can split with length you need or 4x mono one's (nothing fancy). So it's E50 RCA L to left sub RCA input - RCA output to amplifier input, Same with R to R sub and back to same input on power amplifier R. Now you have stereo sub's (which you need to place close to main speakers L/R accordingly) and high pass filter @80 Hz what's left is to adjust low pass filter on subwoofer's to 80 Hz to match it and adjust volume levels for sub's/main speakers. Buy a measurement microphone like UMIK-1! Play with it and learn to use REW (not that hard really). Make a placement adjustments and such and then let REW calculate PEQ (towards your preference curve and such, with proper loudness calibration with SPL meter white/pink noise 86~88 dB stereo [83~85 mono]) and enter it in Roon (or other player like JRiver/EQ APO). That's about it with some learning and hustle (but not all that much) and for about 900$ (two SVS SB-1000 + UMIK-1). In the future consider getting MiniDSP Flex as ADC - DSP - DAC preamp.
Hi!

I am already playing with REW and I am currently trying out Audiolense and Dirac. Buying an UMIK1 was one of the first things I did after joining this forum and doing a lot of reading. I forgot to mention that I am using digital sources only (NAS and Qobuz) so I would not need ADC and can do DSP directly at the source.

Do you think the dual SB1000 will really have a much better result than the KC62 or SB3000 Micro? I ask because I really like the small form factor of the other two especially compared to 2 bigger boxes. Thank you especially for the excellent explanation how connecting the whole stuff would work!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@sadoMasupilami well SVS SB-1000 are on rather compact size for 12" sub's and you can't beat physics as 8" is to small (even Micro 3000 does have little better driver but really 2x12"=4x8"). You always have benefit having two sub's that better feel holes by optimal placement but in particular described case you won't have placement freedom (at least until you get Flex or such) so it's back to good old boost output above hole's and shave peeks down. You might not need ADC currently but it's good bonus to have for who knows. Anyway MiniDSP Flex is currently best offer for such device to my better knowledge (4 chenel out DAC with multiple inputs and DSP) and once you go for it. It supports Dirac but licence cost adds 200$ to the price. I currently use two sub's tied like that laptop as base server and DSP with JRiver (for ISO 226 2003 mostly) and remote app. I do two pass REW PEQ's and I am satisfied with results. One day plan to upgrade to Flex or such and rise crossover (Linkwitz Riley second order as both speakers and sub's are closed enclosure) to 100 Hz. Eventually rearrange room but that's on the long stick.

Top Bottom