• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need some help in purchase decision for Revel speakers

tmukh

Hi! I'm new to ASR though I've been reading about amps and speakers on this forum for past few weeks. Grateful to this forum for the rich source of information. This is my first post and seeking some help.

I'm leaning towards purchasing Revel 226BE as my new front L/R speakers. I have some nice 18" subs. My question is about the center channel. The matching center C426Be is too huge (and too expensive/overkill) and I would prefer to purchase something else as the center speaker. Here are some options I can think of. Please let me know your opinion on these options. (I've made a lot of assumptions - please feel free to correct me)

Option 1: Go for the C205 center.
Advantages:
  1. Relatively inexpensive (fraction of the cost of the C426be)
Disadvantages:
  1. Not sure if the C205 will be timbre matched with the C226BE. Could there be "continuity" issues?
  2. Perhaps not enough loud? I listen to movies up to 6 db below reference. Never louder than that. Most commonly -12 db. At 10-12 feet away this speaker with 120W of max amplification and 89db sensitivity should hopefully be able to hit about 98db (not accounting for boundary gain) which is about 7 db less than 105db reference level. So on paper it looks like it will just about be able to meet my "loudness" needs. So should I still worry about this speaker not being loud enough?
  3. It is a 2-way speaker, so not sure if that really matters much for a center channel - need the dialogs to be very clear though.

Option 2: Go for the C208 center
Advantages:

1. Still inexpensive compared to C426be (less than one third the cost)
  2. 3-way design - but not sure if it would make a real world difference in vocal clarity or other aspects.
  3. Can go louder by about 4 db compared to the C205.
Disadvantages:
  1. Not sure if the C208 will be timbre matched with the C226BE. Could there be "continuity" issues?
  2. Huge and ugly, especially the height (almost 12") - I can accommodate it easily though if needed
  3. Not all matching color choices with F226BE - color mismatch with white or silver color towers.

Option 3: Use the M126BE as the center channel speaker
Advantages:
  1. Less than half the cost of the C426Be
  2. High chance of good timbre matching with F226BE as they are the same family of speakers.
Disadvantages:
  1. Not sure if this even a "correct option" (??) -- I mean using a bookshelf just under the TV as the center channel. Never seen anyone do that or talk about it. But fwiw the tweeter in this arrangement will be closest to the ear level compared to traditional center speaker options (about 6" lower than ear level at 10' distance from MLP, so only 3 degrees vertically off-axis)
  2. Least powerful option - This may be about 3 db weaker than even the C205. So I'll have to limit max volume to about -9db below reference (which I think is still very loud). Btw on a slightly different topic, if the center channel is being crossed over to the sub woofers at say 120hz, then won't the effective loudness level of the center channel + sub be more than what just the center can provide? (and hence come closer to reference level)

About the room:
  1. It is a huge (10,000 cu ft) acoustically untreated "great room"/family room for both movies and music with hard surfaces every where including one full side as a glass wall.
  2. MLP is about 10 feet away from center channel and 12 feet away from the front L/R speakers.
  3. Ceilings are 12 feet high.
  4. The Front L/R speakers are about 6 feet away from respective side walls.
  5. There is about open 20 feet behind the listening area (couch)

All comments and opinions will be greatly appreciated. What option would you recommend? What am I not thinking?

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your room sounds similar to mine. I used a m126Be at 16' with my 226's, no issues at all. If you have the power, these things can take quite a beating without breaking a sweat. Yes, a higher crossover can increase output although I've yet to find a good way to estimate that from basic specs or measurements alone. Don't expect miracles, to be sure. Some companies, like Genelec, give max output in a range like "100Hz-3kHz" but I've not seen that from revel.

If horizontal placement is preferable, before getting the 426Be I also used a KH310 and R3 for some time and was happy with all of them. I actually sold my 426Be, it's just too cumbersome. I'm m back to the R3; no complaints. If something like a c326Be were ever released I'd be open to it but as-is the price/performance ratio isn't there for me.

OP
T

tmukh

Your room sounds similar to mine. I used a m126Be at 16' with my 226's, no issues at all. If you have the power, these things can take quite a beating without breaking a sweat. Yes, a higher crossover can increase output although I've yet to find a good way to estimate that from basic specs or measurements alone. Don't expect miracles, to be sure. Some companies, like Genelec, give max output in a range like "100Hz-3kHz" but I've not seen that from revel.

If horizontal placement is preferable, before getting the 426Be I also used a KH310 and R3 for some time and was happy with all of them. I actually sold my 426Be, it's just too cumbersome. I'm m back to the R3; no complaints. If something like a c326Be were ever released I'd be open to it but as-is the price/performance ratio isn't there for me.
Just to be clear did you use the M126BE as the center channel with the 226BEs being the front left/right?

Also, you mentioned “used” as in past tense :) so did you get rid of that setup for something better?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Timbre matched?? Try the Infinity C263.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be clear did you use the M126BE as the center channel with the 226BEs being the front left/right?

Also, you mentioned “used” as in past tense :) so did you get rid of that setup for something better?

Yes that's correct. I put the 126's into surround L/R duty and now I'm using a single R3 for center with my 226's.

I'm planning on upgrading to D&D 8C but I can't find anyone willing to sell me a single unit for reasonable price, only pairs. Until then, the R3/226s/126s and 2x Monolith 12" sealed is my setup.

Harris48

I just got the C208....mind blown. buy it...full stop.

I think timbre matching gets overblown. I have M106s as my mains and had some old infinity R162s so tried them as surrounds. Sounds great. All Harman products but different brands and products. You'll be fine

I also bought the black center and the walnut LR because I really liked the walnut but didnt want something colored in the middle of my screen. So I split the difference.

OP
T

tmukh

Thanks for all the feedback.
I finally placed an order for the M126Be bookshelf speaker to act as the center channel for the following reasons -
1) Timbre matching (for what its worth!)
2) Aesthetics of matching the looks with the center (yeah that matters as this is the living room!)
3) Hope that the theory that vertical speakers are in general better than horizontal speakers is true.
4) Reinforcement from @tifune that this arrangement worked fine for their setup.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for all the feedback.
I finally placed an order for the M126Be bookshelf speaker to act as the center channel for the following reasons -
1) Timbre matching (for what its worth!)
2) Aesthetics of matching the looks with the center (yeah that matters as this is the living room!)
3) Hope that the theory that vertical speakers are in general better than horizontal speakers is true.
4) Reinforcement from @tifune that this arrangement worked fine for their setup.
Did you ever receive it.
Where’s the center placed, On top of a stand?

OP
T

tmukh

Did you ever receive it.
Where’s the center placed, On top of a stand?
Yes, received it. Center on a table below the TV. Top of center just about reaches the bottom of the TV and is well aligned with the listening position height.
It’s working out very well I think. Dialogs are nice and clear and the center seems capable of louder volume levels than I would need.

Top Bottom