• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help on best headphone around $500($750 CAD) / complete system around $700($1000 CAD)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to being audiophile but have been enjoying listening to music for a long time. So far I've actively and knowingly decided against going the audiophile route as it seems the destination is losing all interest in music and just arguing over different parts.

But from what I've seen so far ASR is a forum focused on evidence based advice which is sorely missed in the audiophile community.

My previous headphone
My previous headset as a Beyerdynamic DT1770 with a Fiio K3 dac/amp. I liked the build quality of the headphone but to be honest it didn't sound that / any different compared to anything I've listened to before (cheap, no name headphones you can buy that don't even have brands). I'm not sure if they are fatiguing or what but I was fine with listening to them if I recall correctely. I haven't used them close to 2 years. Been using cheap edifier speaker for desktop listening.

My current situation
Right now I'm looking for a new headphone for $500. I want to listen to music (hiphop / classical / jazz) while coding for +8 hours a day. So I prefere for it to be open back so that it's less stuffy and comfortable. Build quality is not that important since I'm gonna use it only at my desk. I've already reached the conclusion that DX3+ pro at $200 is a good enough dac / amp but I'm still open to suggestions in that regard as well.

From what I've gathered at that price range I should look at 660S, Edition XS, DT1990, elegia or AEON RT.
I'm going to EQ them BTW if that matters.
Also realistically I'm not going to buy a bunch of headphones to test and return them since I don't really care that much. lol

I'd appreciate any and all recomendations.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Skip the DT1990.
Its frequency response is very peaky and irregular above 3kHz, so will be difficult to correct properly due to unit variation and individual HRTF.
Screenshot_20230129-153547__01.jpg

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hifiman Ananda used and JDS Atom Amp+ DAC+ would be what I'd buy or recommend to anyone. Can't go wrong with it.

OP
R
The Hifiman Ananda used and JDS Atom Amp+ DAC+ would be what I'd buy or recommend to anyone. Can't go wrong with it.
Thank you for the recommendation,

Have you had the chance to test both edition xs and ananda. Some of the reviews I've seen prefer edition xs, which TBF does not make much sense since it is the cheaper option of the same company.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the DT 1777 and to be honest they are awful but easy to drive. I also have Sennheiser HD6xx which I love but not quite as easy to drive. At 225CDN the Sennheiser are a huge bargain. Oh lastly I can wear them for hours.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest the Atom DAC+ and the Schiit Heretic. The Heretic has more power for the same money and the case size is near identical to the Atom AMP+ so they match that way.
Test results>>>

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HE6se v2 can sometimes be had on Adorama for $500, that might be worth a look: https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?EmailPrice=T
(mind the EmailPrice=T in the URL, that gets you a lower price)
I believe this to be one of the greatest deal in Headphones... (We are not talking about IEM, where $50.oo provides you with a device that hugs, too intimately :D, the Harman curve ).
Out of the box no EQ the HE6Sev2 is good , due to its extraordinarily low distortion at practically all levels, Top 3 of all headphones measured here, it takes EQ extremely well.
The caveats are there, but to me no deal breaker:
It is heavy , I am a slim/slender person, yet can wear it for several hours so...
It requires a powerful amplifier. I use the THXAAA789 Balanced Amplifier, which can be found new, at around $150.oo on eBay.
There have been several accounts of DOA units, Mine suffered from that. I contacted HifiMan and it was promptly replaced by a new working unit; they even sent it next day air ... To me worth the risk.

Frankly , it is very difficult to surpass the performance of this headphones when Equalized. At its price it is a bargain ...
My current SOTA (tooting my own horn :D), headphones system:
HifiMan HE6SEv2.
THXAAA789 Balanced Amplifier
Topping D10 Balanced.

I am pleased, satisfied.

Peace.

OP
R
I have the DT 1777 and to be honest they are awful but easy to drive. I also have Sennheiser HD6xx which I love but not quite as easy to drive. At 225CDN the Sennheiser are a huge bargain. Oh lastly I can wear them for hours.
Thank you,

it's good to hear 17xx is not to your liking since I didn't care for it either (as stated had the non drop version)
BTW was it easy to buy from drop if you're in canada? I though it became expensive and had some hassles? not sure though

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you,

it's good to hear 17xx is not to your liking since I didn't care for it either (as stated had the non drop version)
BTW was it easy to buy from drop if you're in canada? I though it became expensive and had some hassles? not sure though
Hi,
Yes Drop was easy I've bought pads and other items from there now. I should mention that I also have a Topping A30 Pro which is a beast and able to drive any headphone to extreme levels. Its about 450 CDN

OP
R
Hi,
Yes Drop was easy I've bought pads and other items from there now. I should mention that I also have a Topping A30 Pro which is a beast and able to drive any headphone to extreme levels. Its about 450 CDN
thank you,

Have you had any experience with Dan clarck AEONs? or with HIFIMAN Edition XS?
Are they considerably better than a 6xx?

TBH I'm a one headphone kind of guy and I'm willing to buy those if they offer something more compared to 6xx. Otherwise I'm content with getting 6xx and saving the rest of the money

someguyontheinternet

Distortion in the bass region is more controlled with the Aeons compared to the HD6xx. One more difference is that the Aeons are available as closed backs while the HD6xx doesn't have an equivalent closed version. Might play a role depending on how noisy your listening environment is.

luft262

HiFiMan Sundara and or AKG 371

asrUser

My previous headset as a Beyerdynamic DT1770 with a Fiio K3 dac/amp. I liked the build quality of the headphone but to be honest it didn't sound that / any different compared to anything I've listened to before (cheap, no name headphones you can buy that don't even have brands). I'm not sure if they are fatiguing or what but I was fine with listening to them if I recall correctely. I haven't used them close to 2 years. Been using cheap edifier speaker for desktop listening.
If you already had experience with Fiio I can recommend the K7 instead of Topping. It's pretty good bang for the buck. You also have to tell if you want open or closed-back headphones.

OP
R
If you already had experience with Fiio I can recommend the K7 instead of Topping. It's pretty good bang for the buck. You also have to tell if you want open or closed-back headphones.
I was thinking open back since in my mind they should prevent my ears from over heating. But I'm open to both. Truth be told I've never had an open back headphone

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking open back since in my mind they should prevent my ears from over heating.
Some say the additional ventilation does little to nothing but I have open back Sennheisers and my ears do not get sweaty. I think the additional venting helps. :D

Top Bottom