• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on getting better sound from movies through headphones.

Rubbersandal

Just purchased Fiio K7BT and DT770 Pro 80ohm waiting for delivery.

My connection is mainly for CD player, android fone, media player and TV.
Everything will output through headphones.

For watching movies this is my connection:
TV==>K7 (Toslink)
==>media player (HDMI)
or
TV==>media player (HDMI)==>K7 (Toslink)
Output through headphones,
I understand TV audio setting need to be in stereo/PCM but is there a way to upgrade the sound as I know once set it in stereo for movies output through headphones, the sound will be very flat. Does adding HDMI audio extractor that sort greatly improves the sound?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I understand TV audio setting need to be in stereo/PCM but is there a way to upgrade the sound as I know once set it in stereo for movies output through headphones, the sound will be very flat. Does adding HDMI audio extractor that sort greatly improves the sound?
The FiiO only supports Stereo input, so no matter if you connect it via an HDMI Audio Extractor or directly to the TV, Stereo is all that you'll get.

There are DAC+Amps that can decode Dolby etc. and convert it to virtual Surround sound for headphones, with varying levels of quality.

The best implementation of this is probably Apple's system of an Apple TV, Airpods Pro 2, and an iPhone to scan your pinnae via LIDAR.

You can find some discussion about this topic here:

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Is there a way to make the PlayStation 5 output in just stereo for headphones? Because I was trying to watch the UHD of A Nightmare Before Christmas through the audio jack of the DualSense controller and it didn't sound so good.

I think it had to do with the Atmos mixing, But then Batman wasn't so bad. I tried that one and a few other UHDs.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there a way to make the PlayStation 5 output in just stereo for headphones? Because I was trying to watch the UHD of A Nightmare Before Christmas through the audio jack of the DualSense controller and it didn't sound so good.

I think it had to do with the Atmos mixing, But then Batman wasn't so bad. I tried that one and a few other UHDs.
I think via USB output, the PS5 will disable virtual surround.

You can use an SMSL D12 for example.

Top Bottom