• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neat Animation of Fourier Transforms (time to frequency)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If we look at what comes out of our electronics it is in time domain. One value after another. Fourier transform allows us to see the frequency components of a time domain signal. It is a non-intuitive thing to get one's mind around. However difficult though, this is a fundamental concept in many areas of science including audio. So it must be understood.

I ran into this video explanation of fourier transform last night by chance (google suggested it). It tries to show the concept using 3-D animation. The output is quite neat and cool but I think it only mildly helps one understand what is going on.

Stay with the video until it gets to the last 20 to 30% and pay attention to some key concepts on how we can decompose any signal into fundamental sine waves. Odd things like using sine waves with infinite length from past into the future, creating a composite signal that is limited in time!

Hey, no one said these things are easy. As I am fond of saying, science doesn't owe us simplicity!

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
I should hope it doesn't bloody well own us ... !!

fas42

Major Contributor
But, it does owe us, the truth! ... ... Can you handle the ... ;)

Top Bottom