• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M66 (vs NAD M33 and M10V2)

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be quite a statement to buy the M66 and run it in analog direct mode. At least Darko wasn't completely sure if it sounded better.

Hear Here

At $5500. You would think they would have added AES out. I see they did AES in on this one. Ill keep my C658 at this price .. Nice unit though & would fill most all my needs.
Joe
The M66 does offer AES out - for the Main amp (Left and Right) and also for up to 4 subs.

Hear Here

I'm looking forward to a "proper" subjective review of the M66 from an acknowledged and respected reviewer.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, the differences between good amps is minute and measurements really don't help in assessing the likely satisfaction and excitement the kit will deliver to their owners. We need a review from the likes of Robert Deutsch (not sure if he's still around) of Stereophile. His September 2000 multi-page review of my first horn speakers described with great accuracy the sound one gets from Avantgarde Uno speakers. I bought a pair after a very brief demo at a totally unsuitable London showroom. Robert's description was dead accurate and was exactly what I was looking for after the disappointment with my previous much better-measuring ATC speakers.

The trouble with measurements is that "character" cannot be measured and this makes significant differences in the sound we hear from amps that measure almost identically.

Darko's review is nowhere near as thorough as we (as potential buyers) need to judge whether the M66 is likely to be a satisfying long-term purchase. I'm patiently waiting for a proper review from someone I trust who has the wherewithal (several speakers and sources, more than one room and of course good measuring equipment), has excellent ears and invites respected associates to compare notes with. Then I'll take time to read it and decide on whether the M66 is likely to be a good purchase. No Youtube nonsense from self-appointed "experts" please!

MingChops

The M66 does offer AES out - for the Main amp (Left and Right) and also for up to 4 subs.
The M66 does not have any digital outputs. Those for the main (left/right) and 4 subs, are XLR analogue outputs.

AES uses an XLR connector, but not to be confused with an analogue XLR, just happen to be the same connector.

Hear Here

The M66 does not have any digital outputs. Those for the main (left/right) and 4 subs, are XLR analogue outputs.

AES uses an XLR connector, but not to be confused with an analogue XLR, just happen to be the same connector.
I beg your pardon - I was wrongly referring to its balanced digital outputs.

But why would one want an AES/EBU out if the chosen ESS Sable DAC is the best available? Bypassing features within a first-class multi-feature device such as the M66 seems to render its purchase a poor decision. If one wants to use a different DAC (or streamer or DSP), then go for separates maybe? There is no coax or optical out either, presumably to maximise performance and minimise the possibility of RF interference, etc.

MingChops

I beg your pardon - I was wrongly referring to its balanced digital outputs.

But why would one want an AES/EBU out if the chosen ESS Sable DAC is the best available? Bypassing features within a first-class multi-feature device such as the M66 seems to render its purchase a poor decision. If one wants to use a different DAC (or streamer or DSP), then go for separates maybe?
Oh don’t get me wrong, I agree, digital out on a product like the M66 to me makes no sense, even less so if one is inclined to use Dirac etc.

But XLR is a connection type only and can be used for analogue or digital (to the AES standard), and the M66 is analogue outputs only.
NAD it would appear therefore agree the need for a digital out is likely to be a minority case with this, and therefore wasn’t worth the cost to implement.

pogo

Major Contributor
The M66 does not have any digital outputs.
That's wrong. You have BT and the BluOS I/F, but without DSP correction.
There is also the USB-port: Link
I do not yet know whether DSP correction is audible over the USB-port.

Last edited:

MingChops

That's wrong. You have BT and the BluOS I/F, but without DSP correction.
There is also the USB-port: Link
I do not yet know whether DSP correction is audible over the USB-port.
BT, really, come on don’t be so pedantic. That’s not what someone is going to use to output to an external DAC in a million years.

What is BluOS ‘I/F’ ? If you mean BluOS output to other BluOS device (aka multi room), again don’t be so pedantic. That’s not an external digital output for a DAC either.

There’s no digital outputs on the M66 in the classic sense of Coax, BNC, Optical, AES - can’t believe I need to spell that out.

As for USB though, potentially an oversight from me and that would be a welcome point you make.
However, do we know 100% for sure it does digital output? That screen shot lacks context, is it a USB configuration screen?

The manual and associated specs only indicate that the USB port can be used for local storage media for BluOS, or as the microphone connection point.

pogo

Major Contributor
An external DAC via USB will be supported in the same way as with the current Bluesound Nodes.
BTW, I forgot to mention the MDC2 I/F. There is always a way to convert these non-classical interfaces.
It would be nice to see an inverted Bluesound HUB (outputs instead of inputs) on the market.

Hephaestus

An external DAC via USB will be supported in the same way as with the current Bluesound Nodes.
BTW, I forgot to mention the MDC2 I/F. There is always a way to convert these non-classical interfaces.
It would be nice to see an inverted Bluesound HUB (outputs instead of inputs) on the market.
NAD M66 does not support audio output from its USB port. It seems that different chipset and firmware is used and certain features are not available in M66.

Here are few of the differences compared to earlier NAD products:

-No input gain trims
-No album art over HDMI to TV
-No digital out over USB

Most likely all three can be implemented via firmware if they did not mess up in the hardware engineering side of things.

EDIT: I have M66 unit.

Last edited:

MingChops

USB out: So we have one for yes, one for no... :) my inclination on the evidence of manuals is also a no. I would think assuming it does just because the later Nodes did - would be a false economy.

Ultimately I don't see it as an important point anyway regardless of yes or no, at least in my mind it would be a strange decision to use an M66 with all the onboard processing etc, to then only decide actually I'll use an external DAC with it.

This however is a much more shocking omission on the M66!

pogo

Major Contributor
If this is not added later, you can also simply open another BluOS app on the TV.

MingChops

If this is not added later, you can also simply open another BluOS app on the TV.
It's not supported on AndroidTV or AppleTV - this has been a frequent request of the team but falls on deaf ears.

I did sideload it on to my Sony AndroidTV, but alas it didn't work.

pogo

Major Contributor
I had this running on a primitive Android HDMI stick once, not AndroidTV.

MingChops

I had this running on a primitive Android HDMI stick once, not AndroidTV.
Which of course means finding and buying a 3rd party device to cover the fact Bluesound should just pull their fingers out their backsides and release the app on the main TV OS platforms.
I did have a cursory look a while back for a cheap Android stick to do just this, but all the ones I could find ran AndroidTV and not a vanilla mobile edition of Android that is needed to run the app - which means they don't actually solve the problem.

Now I'm sure a mobile Android HDMI exists out there, and probably is not expensive either - but it is time and money to find and buy the device, and is entirely missing the point anyway that they should just have ported the app properly to the TV OS editions.

Seems like some continued NAD apology from you - seriously, there ain't no way you are not connected to the Lenbrook group somehow, someway?!! :)

Hear Here

NAD M66 does not support audio output from its USB port. It seems that different chipset and firmware is used and certain features are not available in M66.

Here are few of the differences compared to earlier NAD products:

-No input gain trims
-No digital out over USB

Most likely all three can be implemented via firmware if they did not mess up in the hardware engineering side of things.
Are you sure the HDMI ARC socket cannot be used to send album artwork to a connected TV? Have you an M66 yourself or is it hearsay? It's a feature I value with my M33, specially when I have visitors.

Input gain settings on other M series such as M33, M32, M12 only apply to analogue inputs - never sure why digital ones could not have been made adjustable.

Thanks

Descartes

Major Contributor
A forum member recently asked me publish a post to outline the key differences in sound between the NAD M10V2, NAD M33 and NAD M66. I had the pleasure to either own, listen or trial them so here is my take.

Starting with the NAD M10V2

The NAD M10V2 is a great entry in to the audiophile world. It offers an engaging sound profile, delivering a well-balanced and detailed listening experience. Its bass response is authoritative and well-controlled, without overpowering the mids or treble. Vocals are rendered with clarity and natural timbre, while instrumental textures are presented with precision. The overall soundstage is expansive, allowing for ample separation between instruments and vocals, creating a sense of spaciousness and depth. The NAD M10V2 excels at reproducing a wide range of genres, from lively pop and rock to lush orchestral pieces and delicate acoustic performances. A great all-rounder.

NAD M33

The NAD M33 offers a better sonic experience with its enhanced power and precision. The bass response is even more authoritative, with exceptional impact and detail. The mids are enriched with a natural warmth and richness, while the treble is extended and airy, adding sparkle and definition to the sound. The soundstage expands further, creating a more immersive and enveloping listening experience. Instrumental timbres are rendered with remarkable accuracy, revealing subtle nuances and textures. The NAD M33 is particularly well-suited for genres that demand a dynamic and engaging presentation, such as jazz fusion, progressive rock, and electronic music. Still a great integrated amplifier.

NAD M66

The newly launched NAD M66 is closer to the audiophile sound quality, we are all thriving for, offering a reference-level listening experience. The bass response is simply sublime, with effortless authority and exceptional definition. The mids are incredibly smooth and balanced, with a captivating naturalness and vocals are engaging and natural. The treble extends to remarkable heights, revealing the finest details and textures with remarkable precision. The soundstage is expectional and creating an great sense of immersion and presence. Instrumental timbres are rendered with absolute accuracy, allowing listeners to hear each instrument distinctly and in its purest form. The NAD M66 is the ideal choice for audiophiles seeking the pinnacle of sonic fidelity, capable of reproducing even the most demanding recordings with clarity and realism.

Conclusion :

Overall, the NAD M10V2, NAD M33, and NAD M66 represent a diverse range of NAD audio products, and cater to the needs of a wide spectrum of listeners:

The NAD M10V2's versatile and engaging sound profile is suited for everyday listening, while the NAD M33 elevates the listening with enhanced power and precision. The NAD M66 however has audiophile sound quality, offering an unmatched listening experience to more demanding users but this demand comes with hefty price tag (€6K for the streaming DAC only). Again, these are my personal impressions and others may have diverging opinions.

I hope this helps!
Christian
All subjective, what is “audiophile sound quality” I don’t know what that means?

Unless you are able to show us measurements comparing each of them this is useless. Just a n of one subjective opinion!

OP
Cpopovic

Cpopovic

All subjective, what is “audiophile sound quality” I don’t know what that means?

Unless you are able to show us measurements comparing each of them this is useless. Just a n of one subjective opinion!
What I meant by "audiophile sound quality" is a sound that is accurate and natural-sounding. All opinions are subjective by definition and should not be confused with facts.

pogo

Major Contributor
Especially as there are no all-encompassing facts including their correct interpretation ;)

Top Bottom