• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

Descartes

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the NAD M10 streaming amplifier and DAC. It was purchased and drop shipped to me kindly by a member. It costs US $2,749 from NAD dealers.

The M10 sports a very large touch screen LCD display that covers the entire front face:

View attachment 79596

Sorry for leaving the protecting plastic on. Like to keep things as new as possible for members.

As nice as the display is, it simply is not as responsive as your phone or tablet. What could be really cool such as the VU meter mode, becomes a jittery display that doesn't please much. A much faster processor with GPU would be needed to really make the display the star. Still, it is heads and shoulders above others that have small displays.

The back panel is notable for inclusion of HDMI ARC input:
View attachment 79597

Alas, I have no ARC capability on my workstation so could not test that feature.

In normal use the plastic case barely gets warm. Under heavy stress of power testing, it got somewhat warm making me wish the case was made out of aluminum than plastic. You are not likely to push the switching amplifiers this hard and at any rate, the M10 runs much cooler than any Audio/Video Receiver.

While I did not have time to test it, the M10 comes with Dirac Room EQ which is nice.

I noticed one operational/design issue. I unplugged the unit to take its picture but noticed that the display went crazy flashing random stuff. I thought it was a capacitor that was discharging but this continued and would not stop! I looked in the back and I realized I still had the HDMI cable plugged in. Knowing that it provides a 5 volt "hot plug" signal, I disconnected it and the display finally shut down. This is improper design. The device must NOT draw any power out of HDMI connection.

DAC Audio Measurements
I connected the Coax output of my Audio Precision APx555 analyzer to the M10 and measured what came out of the pre-out with volume adjusted for 2 volt output:

View attachment 79600

Distortion is quite low at -110 dB (near threshold of hearing) but the noise floor kept jumping up and down causing SINAD to vary with it. This shows lack of isolation between sensitive DAC subsystem and busy processor running other functions of the device. As it is, performance is respectable which is a sigh of relief:

View attachment 79601

Anything in green and blue is good.

Testing at other output levels shows that the M10 is capable of pumping out good bit of voltage:
View attachment 79604

Dynamic range clears the bar for 16 bit CD/streaming content but not much more:

View attachment 79602

IMD distortion versus level shows the same noise issue:

View attachment 79603

Filter response also shows higher than it should be noise floor:

View attachment 79605

Jitter and noise test shows a lot of unwanted tones but audibly they are below threshold of hearing:

View attachment 79606

Linearity is very good:

View attachment 79607

EDIT: forgot to include multitone in the original review:
View attachment 79744

Finally, we see the penalty of the DAC filter not being sharp enough in distortion+noise versus frequency:

View attachment 79608

Amplifier Audio Measurements
I was hoping that analog input was not digitized but alas, it is:

View attachment 79609

And at very low sample rate. Maybe there is a setting to change this but I did not bother to look.

Using the same analog input, I witnessed wild swings in noise floor of the unit:
View attachment 79610

So I abandoned the analog input and switched to Coax for the rest of the amplifier tests:

View attachment 79611

Performance is improved and stable as well. This rates the M10 above average for more than 100 amplifiers tested so far:

View attachment 79612

Signal to noise ratio is disappointing as even with full power, it barely clears the 16 bit hurdle:
View attachment 79613

Frequency response using digital input is wide enough:

View attachment 79614

But for those people with ultra sensitive high frequency hearing, you will lose half a dB at 20 kHz.

Let's see how much clean power we get out of M10 starting with 4 ohm load:

View attachment 79615

I allowed the distortion to go higher (1%) and got even more power:

View attachment 79616

I tried to get the burst power rating but some kind of limiter in the M10 was fighting the analyzer and wouldn't allow me to get there. It was nice that it would not shut down.

Power naturally drops at 8 ohm:

View attachment 79617

Conclusions
Performance of the NAD M10 is generally acceptable especially for a multifunction device where we see a lot of fails. Alas issues here and there took away my enthusiasm for it. There is no excuse for poor analog input performance in a nearly $3000 device. Or rather high and variable noise floor.

So overall, I gave it a "like it" panther award but it is not something I would personally buy. I can be stubborn that way!

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

So stressed out with the terrible backlog of reviews, I have nothing sarcastic to say. So I will just ask that you donate what you can to change my mood using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Thank you for saving me money!

I wonder if the updated version is better?

NAD Masters Series M10 V2

Antlestxp

I know this is a forum purely about audio quality but I want to point out that the m10 is a surprisingly easy device to live with day to day. Everything works. Livability gets glossed over in most reviews. This device always works. Never needs to be rebooted. I have not had the app crash or freeze once. And best of all, for those of us that have audio setups that include a tv, it has hdmi arc/cec properly implemented. As an added bonus it will show album art on the tv its connected to when streaming from any source with meta data. All nads do this but is not advertised as a feature. In addition to that, if you are afraid of hdmi, optical signals will trigger it to wake from standby and you can teach it use any ir remote. On the audio side of things, all I can say is I have no complaints. Dirac is a nice tool for those of us with partners that are not ok with acoustic panels everywhere. In a room shared with a spouse, I think it is the perfect device. In my dedicated music space I still enjoy the ritual of getting all of the devices on and the process of listening. That being said I find myself spending more time in my living room where the M10 is setup. It has 99% of the quality with a fraction of the effort.

Antlestxp

Hi, Im a proud new owner of the M10-V2. I am extremely happy about the features and better than expected sound. There is just one thing which really worries me.
The device gets when listening even pretty silent very hot. In System Settings you can see left + right temps after few hours listening at 65-69 degree Celsius.
To my "taste" this might really harm the electronics over time, or am I wrong?
2nd there is no real off switch. Does anybody know if switching off with a programmable socket (10pm-8am) could harm the device over time ?
I think the lack of a power switch is to keep the device active for remote control and keep boot time down. Is there a reason you want to completely shut it down rather than let it go to standby? I think power it on and off all the time with a socket may introduce software issues. These are basically little computers at this point.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I know this is a forum purely about audio quality but I want to point out that the m10 is a surprisingly easy device to live with day to day.
I've been doing so for several years now. No regrets, the only "upgrade" I made was adding external power amps for extra power when running my dynamic speakers. I just use it as-is for running my Quads and the sound/convenience is superb.

chefffe

I think the lack of a power switch is to keep the device active for remote control and keep boot time down. Is there a reason you want to completely shut it down rather than let it go to standby? I think power it on and off all the time with a socket may introduce software issues. These are basically little computers at this point.
No, the device has its standby function with just few Watts. This is the network standby. Why not the BluOS Software nor the device itself has a button for it I dont know. You can only stop music and it will automatically go after, I guess 15min, into this standby. There is also a real shutdown via a little button on the back but this is not needed.
With Remote there is a button, but I dont use the remote.

Nevertheless, the M10 is still THE device for me ... I am missing absolutely nothing.

keith_h

Or people who want to listen to music rather than futzing with equipment.
This is the correct answer. Despite all the dire assertions from tea leaf readings of measurements, the M10 is a suitable hub for a sweet small room system. With my setup its discreet (hidden actually) and operated with a mobile device. I never see or touch the front display, device is behind a solid door in a cabinet. The only signal connection is an ethernet cable from which almost all the music ever recorded is available from wherever it is on the planet via a movement from my finger from my favourite chair. Dirac means you hear less room and more music. It has the potential to bring artists into the room and properly punishes poor recordings. I mean that most sincerely, its definitely got soul, not a thing that I saw measured. ;)

So here's a summary from a long term owner who uses it every day. Power is fine. Audio quality is fine, razor edge measurements are of no consequence to the listening experience. Display sensitivity, don't care I don't use it from the front panel. Dirac elevates the listening experience, the oft mentioned neutrality of the amp merely a canvas to be transformed with the onboard DSP. Obviously the device can be comprehensively configured with the app and this is the way to go. And if you have a sub or two, there's some advanced bass management in there as well and then Dirac on top of that.

Since this review there have been a few software updates to the BluOS client and firmware. The app is great but you can also just use Spotify direct. Its easy and fills a room with awesome sound. Its not a competitor for Blue Sound products, they live in a different universe despite being cousins. I have a second streaming amp set up in another room, the M10 provides a way better user experience and just sounds - great!

But expensive!! Or excellent value. Depends on your perspective and priorities. For a small system with so much flexibility, convenience and performance its a genuine bargain.

Appreciate this site focuses on reviewing performance via measurements, but its only part of the story. The actual user experience should not be ignored either. For all those folks who declared they couldn't possibly contemplate owning something that performs so poorly according to a graph, a shame, you are really missing out on something special.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So here's a summary from a long term owner who uses it every day. Power is fine. Audio quality is fine, razor edge measurements are of no consequence to the listening experience... Dirac elevates the listening experience, the oft mentioned neutrality of the amp merely a canvas to be transformed with the onboard DSP. Obviously the device can be comprehensively configured with the app and this is the way to go. And if you have a sub or two, there's some advanced bass management in there as well and then Dirac on top of that.
Pretty much my take after four years with it. I did add some external power amps when I run my dynamic speakers, but for my ESLs, the built-in amplification is more than adequate.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Pretty much my take after four years with it.
@SIY Question, after 4 years ownership. Have you or anyone else here noticed any degradation with that fancy
touch screen. Either with pixels burning out or going dim or the touch feature getting wonky? That's one thing that does tend to worry me about these modern guys. IME its these things that do tend to fail on older units where a mechanical switch or level pot may last 50-100 years with a bit of cleaning ?

Moonbase

I think those who question the absolute audio quality of this amp are miss a few key points. The SINAD rating is I think 101 which is well above the audible threshold and DIRAC for untreated room will have vastly more audible impact than the a-fore mentioned SINAD could ever have. Further if you’re in the market for an all in one device those suggesting a mini dsp alternative, clearly don’t understand the appeal of the device.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nope, it works even better than new since one of the firmware upgrades.
That's good to hear, these things do scare the hell out of me when it comes to reliability.
Specially when controls are touch screen operated.
I've seen it in the auto world too, where things like dashboards, heads up displays, etc; become wonky.
At 20+ years the repairs can get close to impossible, parts unavailable, and the expense approaches a "total loss vehicle" level. :(

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's good to hear, these things do scare the hell out of me when it comes to reliability.
Specially when controls are touch screen operated.
I've seen it in the auto world too, where things like dashboards, heads up displays, etc; become wonky.
At 20+ years the repairs can get close to impossible, parts unavailable, and the expense approaches a "total loss vehicle" level. :(
If it ever fails, there's the app on my phone...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If it ever fails, there's the app on my phone...
Phone app, where will that be in 20 years LOL
After all the brain cancer is revealed from being on those dang fones 24/7
We'll be back to wired fones on the kitchen wall with loooong stretchy cords. :p

Moonbase

No brain cancer yet af 35 years of mobile phone use , including analog phones. I use an app on a tablet rather than front displays and dials.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No brain cancer yet af 35 years of mobile phone use , including analog phones. I use an app on a tablet rather than front displays and dials.
A sure sign of obsessive addiction to the evil slabs.
Can't put it down for a second and looking for "apps" to control everything.
Wish there was one for wife's, then I might finally ditch my flip-fone. LOL

Reactions: EJ3

mr-audio

I agree this is for older Audiophiles that are ' downsizing' ha!

I’ve had my M10V2 for a couple years now and can echo the points above and a few more
- it does sound very nice in my office with a pair of Dali Opticon 5s. I’ve also used it in my basement for much louder playing and it has plenty of power w no distortion.
- I have it located on my desk so I actually do use the touchscreen much more
- i really like the fact that it has a timeout function and an automatic wake up. This reduces screen burning (none that I’ve seen yet) and makes leaving it ‘always on’ an easy decision. The unit wake-up is a breeze. It will even restart if you have an external source like an Amazon echo puck. As soon as it starts playing the system detects that and starts.
- I do use the blueOS capability to link with other amps and sync the music. Works flawlessly for me and a great way to sync music across the various systems in my house.
- Also like that it has a Windows app and a Mac app and a great remote. So you can interface with it as a user from multiple ways. I find this very convenient.
- From a pure Musicality standpoint, I like what it provides (tested across three or four different speaker types) but I am not a fan of Dirac… (just personal choice but after several attempts, it just seems too fiddly, and seems to make the sound less pleasing)
(BTW my full review of the M10V2 is here)

I agree it seems a bit expensive, but as an all in one unit, it really is a well executed piece of gear in every respect… musicality, user interface(s), ease of integration, power management, physical form factor…

That said...i still like some old stuff....see pic with the Kenwood on the left

Attachments

• MR-Desk.jpg
    MR-Desk.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

iLoveCats

I'm happier with it in my secondary bedroom situation. I actually don't even think about it. It just works now.

Antlestxp

@SIY Question, after 4 years ownership. Have you or anyone else here noticed any degradation with that fancy
touch screen. Either with pixels burning out or going dim or the touch feature getting wonky? That's one thing that does tend to worry me about these modern guys. IME its these things that do tend to fail on older units where a mechanical switch or level pot may last 50-100 years with a bit of cleaning ?
I haven't noticed any issues with the screen in my v1 over the years. I don't leave the screen on all day. I let it sleep and wake with use. Hoping my v2 is the same.

Top Bottom