• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

MarkS

Major Contributor
I see folks on this forum talking in earnest about different stand-alone internet streamer devices having meaningfully different sound, even when using the same source apps (Tidal, Roon, etc) and outputting SPDIF in the same bitrates to the exact same external DAC.
Really? Here at ASR?
Surely if that perspective is given any credence whatsoever
Not be me. Not by most here, I would think.

pogo

Major Contributor
Unfortunately we lack fully detailed changelog for this stuff at the system level, but just in the context clues of how the system operates (and even how the diagnostics tools work) it's clear that some significant changes have been made over time to the software stack under the hood.
I'm 100% with you on that. I have already pointed out in the M33 thread the undocumented changes in gain and in the Dirac Live implementation. But the DL software was so smart and informed me about a change in the M33 firmware although this was never mentioned in the changelog ;)
I have also pointed out to the testers to always include the firmware version in the test reports.

D

Deleted member 48726

Really? Here at ASR?

Not be me. Not by most here, I would think.
Yeah. I have not seen that either. And I doubt it would happen. Maybe it has to do with updated gain structure which would be noticeable.

AudioScience Enthusiast

I updated but don't see (or hear) much of a difference. My main problem with BluOS remains- the inability to get album or song details when using my streaming service (Amazon).
I use Roon and I also don't see the bitrate / bitdepth etc displayed on my M10 V2. How easy/difficult it is to add this basic info on the playback screen? Answer: it was not, because the feature was already there, but it was removed by Bluesound in the newer versions (not sure by mistake or what).

Also, it seems the latest 4.04 has been pulled due to all the complaints from users.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Oh great, version 4.02 has a bug that prevents the NAD M10 LCD from being turned off. Welcome, Burn-In!

PSA: DO NOT upgrade your NAD M10 V2 to 4.02 until Bluesound resolves this.

Stupid question incoming but how can I use a turntable with this? I have the NAD M10 and looking to get Project Debut Carbon EVO but wondering if I need a phono preamp also ?_?

JohnnyAbbati

Does somebody know how exactly the autosense feature works?
I have just received my M10 V2 and when I play something via Spotify connect and start a show on the TV which is connected via optical, the NAD is not switching to the optical source.
Autosense is of course activated in the settings.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Does somebody know how exactly the autosense feature works?
I have just received my M10 V2 and when I play something via Spotify connect and start a show on the TV which is connected via optical, the NAD is not switching to the optical source.
Autosense is of course activated in the settings.
"Autosense" might be limited to certain inputs only.

Even so, I find my M10 V2 sometimes randomly switching to HDMI even though no content is playing from this source, so out of frustration, I turned off the feature permanently and have never used it since.

JohnnyAbbati

Even so, I find my M10 V2 sometimes randomly switching to HDMI even though no content is playing from this source, so out of frustration, I turned off the feature permanently and have never used it since.
With the latest Update you can activate and deactivate autosense for every digital source individually. So you could deactivate it only at the HDMI input.
But the unit is switching on by itself as soon as I start to play audio from the TV so autosense works at the optical input. It is just not switching to it when the unit is already on but a different source is active.

iLoveCats

V1 behaves that way too. I just stopped using HDMI for the TV audio. It started happening when I switched to a Sony tv from a Vizio. Its like the Sony pings the M10 occasionally. I can't affect the behavior with any settings on the TV, tried them all. The Autosense on the HDMI TV audio has priority on the M10 as it would switch to the HDMI TV input no matter what input I was currently using.

pogo

Major Contributor
I've never had that before. Is this sound coming from the speakers or the HUB itself?
If this comes from the speakers:
With which input is this the case and is only one M10 and the HUB connected under BluOS?
Is the firmware up-to-date on all devices involved?

I've never had that before. Is this sound coming from the speakers or the HUB itself?
If this comes from the speakers:
With which input is this the case and is only one M10 and the HUB connected under BluOS?
Is the firmware up-to-date on all devices involved?
The hub itself. Are their moving parts inside?? It sounds as if a hard drive is spinning and hasn't been lubricated properly :'D. Idk but I'm returning it since it's a hardware issue.

pogo

Major Contributor
Did you try a different power supply unit?

The PSU is internal ? They just provide the wall power adapter. The adapter definitely isn't the issue, somethings broken internally in the unit itself.

But anyways I got the ifi phono preamp to replace it and it's working better and dead silent. It also feels more...focused, as it's built specifically to be a phono preamp, it has multiple gains depending on the cartridge used and a rumble filter. I have this plugged in directly to the Nad M10 and everything is working great. I can't say I notice an audible difference between sound quality between the two, maybe a bit punchier bass with the ifi ? Hard to say without doing direct a/b switching. Thanks for the help

chefffe

Hi, Im a proud new owner of the M10-V2. I am extremely happy about the features and better than expected sound. There is just one thing which really worries me.
The device gets when listening even pretty silent very hot. In System Settings you can see left + right temps after few hours listening at 65-69 degree Celsius.
To my "taste" this might really harm the electronics over time, or am I wrong?
2nd there is no real off switch. Does anybody know if switching off with a programmable socket (10pm-8am) could harm the device over time ?

Top Bottom