• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mytek Manhattan II? using third party measurements

michiganave

Disclaimer: I'm a first time poster. I saw there is this nice compilation of SINAD calculations for 3rd party measured amplifiers:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...list-for-3rd-party-measured-amplifiers.16060/

But I don't see something similar for DACs?

I have a Mytek Manhattan II and am wondering how it performs to the DACs measured here.

There are measurements by John Atkinson posted here:
https://www.stereophile.com/content...preamplifier-headphone-amplifier-measurements

He commented: "Increasing the bit depth of a dithered 1kHz tone at –90dBFS from 16 to 24 dropped the noise floor by 24dB (fig.13), suggesting a superb resolution of 20 bits, close to the state of the art."

If the effective number of bits is 20, that really would be a state of the art SINAD around 121?

Can somebody help me interpret and estimate a SINAD?

Thanks!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Dynamic range would be somewhere around the 120 dB mark, probably 119-124 dB(A)-ish.... not sure whether the AP SYS-2722 can even go much higher at least when measuring as shown (you're hitting the ADC limits), but a respectable value either way.

Neither a 2 Vrms / 4 Vrms nor a 1 kHz test were performed, so I can only go by the 50 Hz 0 dBFS distortion and estimate that SINAD would have to be at least ~92 dB... at 2/4 Vrms (-8.5 dBFS), perhaps ~100 dB. Apparently the Brooklyn allows the analog gain control to be bypassed, yielding a substantial improvement in 2nd harmonic, and this model seems to have a similar function (it is unclear what settings were for the Stereophile measurements)... regardless, we're talking inaudible vs. even more inaudible.

In terms of digital filters, I would probably be choosing one of the fast rolloff options (FRMP or FRLP). APDZ has a tad too much passband ripple for a linear phase filter, and MQA may be prone to clipping/overflow as it was on the Brooklyn.

I think the 6 grand price tag is warranted only by it being a nifty-looking (and no doubt well-built) combination DAC / streamer / preamp / HPA device that can output +22.7 dBu @ 0 dBFS, thus even integrating into a major studio. Mind you, relatively few things audio electronics costing as much as a decent used car are ever going to qualify as price/performance hits.

Top Bottom