• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Predictions Of The Future AVR

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
This is my predictions of the future AVR. Editing is not the best but get's the point down.

The Front:
x158STN1000-f - Copy.jpeg

• No volume control knob. Volume is controlled by the TV (via eARC/ARC) and by the AVR remote.
  • Power button is still here due to mainly emergency reasons and factory resets.
  • Although the display can deleted (Due to having a GUI), it is still here for showing info about Decoding, Frequency, Bit depth & Diagnostics.
  • Other buttons are removed due to being in the GUI and on the AVR Remote.

The Back:

5761206_bd.jpg

• "Setup Mic" calibration 3.5mm input has been moved to the back for aesthetic and cost effective reasons (EX: Not hidden under a front panel).
  • No HDMI Inputs, only 1 output. TV is now the HDMI Switch and sends audio to AVR using eARC/ARC. Cost Effective and reduces gaming latency.
  • No analog inputs (Video & Audio) due to TV's having better image upscalers and (Potentially in the future) better ADC converters for audio.
  • WIFI & Bluetooth are gone due to TV's smartness, media player and Bluetooth.
  • AVRs can get internet (for updates) via HDMI.
  • AVRs can connect 2 subs via Wireless & RCA Out.
  • No pre-outs are available due to this being a "dummy" receiver and nothing super to offer as a pre-amp.
That was my prediction for future AVRs.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
You're obviously delusional. It's going to be built in to your TV with 98% efficient Class D amplifiers.
I know your joking but there was TV's with built in subwoofers:
t9NWUdJ.jpg

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I guess my prediction is too radical?

Soundmixer

I guess my prediction is too radical?
You need balanced connections, and FAR more HDMI inputs and outputs. You absolutely need pre-outs, or you are stuck with the onboard amp's power...which won't likely be very much.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What if it's your only system, and you just want to listen to music?

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
You mean, buy another device because this AVR is useless unless the TV set is switched on?
Techinally yes but AVRs were designed with TVs in mind

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Techinally yes but AVRs were designed with TVs in mind
"Technically" I think you've painted yourself into a corner but who's keeping score? ;)

The late Arnold Kreuger was an advocate of using the AVR at the heart of a 2-channel music playback system, and I've come to appreciate that as a clever idea, because you get a lot of technology (room correction!) packed into a single box, and it's priced competitively. I see no reason why 2-channel and multichannel need separate hardware.

DonR

Major Contributor
"Technically" I think you've painted yourself into a corner but who's keeping score? ;)

The late Arnold Kreuger was an advocate of using the AVR at the heart of a 2-channel music playback system, and I've come to appreciate that as a clever idea, because you get a lot of technology (room correction!) packed into a single box, and it's priced competitively. I see no reason why 2-channel and multichannel need separate hardware.
Leverage that mass production, I say.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Leverage that mass production, I say.
My complaint is the makers, mostly from one company, are leveraging via mass production the profit from making mediocre barely good enough gear. In concert with the always something new format introductions they keep churning for profit. In a way I get it, what is the use in spending more for extra quality you can enjoy for many years with better performance when you'll need new capabilities in less than 5 years?

Top Bottom