• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My microphone is borked

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor

1680533322997.png

Now can we please get back on topic.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did both channels have phantom power turned on?

Can you verify (with another mic or using a voltmeter) that channel 1 phantom power is working?

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Yeah, I always remember to turn on Phantom power. It is quite apparent if I don't turn it on because I get no measurement otherwise. Unfortunately I don't have a voltmeter.

Trell

Major Contributor
Try removing/renaming the totalmix config file and do a new setup. Also check the settings in the driver settings dialog.

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Well, I eventually figured out the problem.

I borrowed a friend's Motu to replace the RME, and it immediately developed the same problem (low gain). Now, it can't be the interface or the driver (since they both have the same problem), and it can't be the mic (since I bought a new one) ... so it had to be the cable.

I am too cheap to buy an XLR cable of the proper length, so I made up a long XLR cable by joining a whole bunch of spares. I tested the cable, and sure enough I was getting no readout in pin 3. Weird, because I tested them before and they were perfectly fine. So I disconnected all 5 cables and started testing them individually. When I isolated the problem cable, I opened it up to take a look.

It turns out that whomever who manufactured the cable did not apply insulation properly, and the bare wire in pins 1 and 3 were contacting each other when the cable was twisted. This sends either signal or 48V to the ground (I forget which pin is which), which manifests as low gain. It probably didn't manifest itself before because the screw-in clamp which holds the cable tightly was loose when I inspected it, this allowed the cable to rotate within the enclosure. I removed that cable and re-tested it. The problem has now gone away!

I am glad to close this chapter on what has been a very frustrating experience.

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Yes absolutely. Lesson learnt. Don't buy cheap cables! I usually buy the cheapest possible cable.

The money I have spent diagnosing this problem (new $80 mic, driving everywhere to borrow equipment, wasted time, etc.) could have easily bought me a nice XLR of the proper length. That problem XLR cable is back in the system, only this time I have wrapped those bare wires properly and duct taped the clamp so it won't come loose again. I am still too cheap to buy a new cable.

thecheapseats

my lesson learned long ago was always "check the interconnects / wiring first"... a meter, a soldering iron, shrinkwrap, a heat gun and a good clamping system are your friends with xlr conns - simply because they're so damn easy to make/repair, compared to rca, trrs, trs of any size, bnc, etc... buy quality bulk cable (mogami, belden canare), with neutrik or switchcraft xlrs only (avoid any no-name xlr connector always) - and make your own...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a tongue in cheek reply to the post immediately prior! I know that humour does not transmit properly on internet forums. :facepalm:

All the measurements were taken with the same DAC - an RME Fireface UC.
Yes, simply my sense of humor. I assumed you know how to run a microphone :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone too young to remember, Robert Bork was a nominee for SCOTUS who did not get confirmed on account of his views.

On another note, I started REW up this morning only to find all of its configuration data had disappeared. That led me back to ASR and the thread on how to do moving microphone readings. Fortunately, my UMIC-1 was not Borked, or Garlanded.

SuicideSquid

For anyone too young to remember, Robert Bork was a nominee for SCOTUS who did not get confirmed on account of his views.

On another note, I started REW up this morning only to find all of its configuration data had disappeared. That led me back to ASR and the thread on how to do moving microphone readings. Fortunately, my UMIC-1 was not Borked, or Garlanded.
I initially read that as "Robot Bork", I guess because I'd been primed by the Robot Chicken video embedded above.

Robot Bork would have made an excellent Supreme Court justice. Every ruling would have ended with "Kill all humans".

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Yes absolutely. Lesson learnt. Don't buy cheap cables! I usually buy the cheapest possible cable.

I avoid cheap cables, especially when they are cheaper than I could make them myself. I also avoid cables that are marketed with promises of sound quality improvements. I go for cables made from components that have a track record of performance and reliability in professional applications (like for example, Mogami, Amphenol, Neutrik), assembled by people who know how to terminate a cable and use the proper tools. And yes, when I buy from an assembler I haven’t used before I tend to open the connectors and check the termination.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

View attachment 276848

Now can we please get back on topic.

bork​

1 of 2

verb (1)

ˈbȯrk

variants or less commonly Bork
borked also Borked; borking also Borking; borks also Borks
transitive verb
US politics, informal
: to attack or defeat (a nominee or candidate for public office) unfairly through an organized campaign of harsh public criticism or vilification
In any event, seeing one of their own being borked may itself energize the conservative base, even beyond what a conservative nomination would do.—Mark Tushnet

In 1987, conservative judge Robert Bork endured such virulent criticism … that to this day, a nominee sidelined by activists is said to have been "borked."—Claire Suddath

Top Bottom