• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Listening Room is Complete!

ErVikingo

Apart from my constant tweaking with speaker placement and relocating a couple of amps when longer speaker cables arrive, I am done with my acoustical treatments.

Room came out great, sounds awesome and has a WAF of 100% ! I used panels by Seven Audio in Poland (Lukazs) who was open to my specific requests and finishes. Very reasonable pricing and careful packaging.

Here are some photos (pardon the mess.... that is next):

ErVikingo 03.jpg
ErVikingo 04.jpg
ErVikingo 01.jpg

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

It is a multi-purpose room with 2 separate systems.

For audio: Infinity IRS Betas, Threshold 12e and Manley Snappers, ZLC transformer, ALLNIC L-6500, Sony ES SACD+CD, Theta Data Transport, DACs: Theta Gen V Pro and Topping D90SE and a Wiim Pro streamer. Aerial 8b on a secondary room/office.

For movies: Denon AVR, Cambridge Frt and Rr, Snell Center and sides, Sunfire Signature Subs (2), AWOL UST with 120"screen

For playing: various acoustic (Taylor, Ovation, Takamine, Papa Jack) 6 and 12 string, Carvin Soprano Spanish guitar and electric. Pedals/processor and a 2x12 cabinet

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

Awesome room, did you take some acoustic measurements of the room response with the treatment?
I made some but have to read @amirm instructions on how to (properly) use REW to do it. Have a UMIK2, now have to learn how to use it.....

I need a "dummies" version :cool:.

Ciobi69

I made some but have to read @amirm instructions on how to (properly) use REW to do it. Have a UMIK2, now have to learn how to use it.....

I need a "dummies" version :cool:.
you can find a lot of youtube tutorial, keep the post updated, congrats !

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

you can find a lot of youtube tutorial, keep the post updated, congrats !
I was following a tutorial and got confused when we get to my sound card and calibration.

I shall try again. After months of building, restoring and chasing noises (finally found a vibrating slat on an AC exhaust vent that emitted a high pitched noise!) I’m at the “enjoy the music” for a while stage.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really, really nice room. Congrats. I'm just starting the process and learning about room treatments. Your panels are really beautiful. Can I ask what you've got invested in just the wall treatments/panels?

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The amount of room treatment seems excessive for such a small room.
I suggest removing the two panels closest to the door/couch. You don't want to diffuse the horizontal early reflections.
Do you move the IRS Betas when watching movies? They seem to be partially blocking the view of the screen.
I was following a tutorial and got confused when we get to my sound card and calibration.
Most tutorials are awful. Try this one:
You might also want to take measurements of reverberation time: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/graph_rt60.html

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
To me, the room looks like a holy chapel in which an audio cult is to be celebrated. Well, tastes are different. I like beautiful set-ups, but for me the audio theme still has to be subordinate to a rather normal living room environment.

But why not, if it's fun exactly in this form? :)

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

Really, really nice room. Congrats. I'm just starting the process and learning about room treatments. Your panels are really beautiful. Can I ask what you've got invested in just the wall treatments/panels?
Approx $6500 shipping included (to the USA).

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

The amount of room treatment seems excessive for such a small room.
I suggest removing the two panels closest to the door/couch. You don't want to diffuse the horizontal early reflections.
Do you move the IRS Betas when watching movies? They seem to be partially blocking the view of the screen.

Most tutorials are awful. Try this one:
You might also want to take measurements of reverberation time: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/graph_rt60.html
It’s actually a large room (14’w x 28’ l x 11’ High). You would be surprised as to how much more treatments were recommended by Vicoustic and GIK.

My family has to put up with the betas for movies. :) actually 3 can sit and have no blockage of the screen.

Speakers are not spikes this I can move them out if needed. (And I have when we had all watching).

I’ll check out the recommended tutorial (thanks). I wish it were an easy plug and play.

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

To me, the room looks like a holy chapel in which an audio cult is to be celebrated. Well, tastes are different. I like beautiful set-ups, but for me the audio theme still has to be subordinate to a rather normal living room environment.

But why not, if it's fun exactly in this form? :)
Thanks for your comment. My prior room had all treatments hidden behind fabrics (all walls had fabric convering (treated or not) and it looked like a pretty living space.

The additional cost of doing that was huge (think buying GOM fabric to cover 2 24’x9’ walls plus 2 at 15 x 9

There was more invested in fabric than in speakers. Granted that room was beautiful and it sounded awesome.

The new room has tricks built in but still needed (to my ears) some treatment. 7 folds on the return vents, solid concrete floor, double studded walls (12” stuffed with insulation), rubber padding between the studs and the drywall. Exterior walls and roof are poured concrete with spray foam covered with ”quiet wall” drywall.

I’m from the diffuse school with some absorption and bass absorption for control and musicality of low frequencies.

Music sounds great and test recordings of guitar do as well!

My buddies like it as a cave, the wives give it a “huh” look and my wife loves it. She sat down, lights dimmed and listed to her preferred music and had a huge smile!

She did say, “I still think those speakers take too much space. Can’t you use your small ones?” Ha ha ha

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like beautiful set-ups, but for me the audio theme still has to be subordinate to a rather normal living room environment.
"Normal"... there's a quality that's impossible to quantify. I'm guessing that this room is exactly "Normal" for the OP. Then again, I have a (Very) secular audio altar myself, which I also think is "normal". Being a zealous atheist, this is as close to "holy" as I'll ever get.

1680174969753.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

4F9CD089-4CAD-415B-A41D-77BA8317BD08.jpeg
I love it. I have to work on my lighting.

I had someone make me a “lamplifier”. He he. A wooden block with 5 Edison bulbs and a dimmer and had it between the manleys. Had to move it since it was injecting noise when dimmed.

Now is on the back of the room.

napfkuchen

You clearly put a lot thought in this. I'm really digging the aesthetics of this room, particularly the acoustic panels and the diffuse lighting. :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
"Normal"... there's a quality that's impossible to quantify. I'm guessing that this room is exactly "Normal" for the OP. Then again, I have a (Very) secular audio altar myself, which I also think is "normal". Being a zealous atheist, this is as close to "holy" as I'll ever get.

View attachment 275934
Do you light a candle a day to please the gods, have them align the bits and electrons and let them deliver great sound:)

Kidding aside. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you light a candle a day to please the gods, have them align the bits and electrons and let them deliver great sound:)

Kidding aside. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
I light a bowl everyday to please myself... the bits and electrons are the gods... they dictate their own behavior. Note: The candles are LEDs... so no "lighting" involved.

Top Bottom