• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Informal Dirac Review

SadMonster

I’ve been playing a lot with the software for the past month or so and I finally feel like I have it set up optimally so I thought I‘d share my impressions here.

Equipment:
2 JBL 705 Speakers with 2 JBL LSR305 Subwoofers
2 ATS Acoustics Triangle Bass Traps
1 MiniDSP DDRC24 with Dirac

Setup Process:
Fairly simple enough for computer nerds but I could easily see Grandma setting the house on fire trying to set it up. The software has a slight learning curve even for computer nerds but nothing too bad, once I figured out the general flow of the software with the MiniDsp device I started to feel very comfortable playing and experimenting with it.

There are so many target curves you can aim for that I found myself switching between them and living with them for days at a time and going back and trying another. I finally got tired of theory today and decided to double blind myself to see my preferences and here is my summary for you:

I double blinded 4 different configurations.
1. Uncorrected
2. Bass corrected flat to 300hz (conservative transition frequency estimate)
3. Dirac Default
4. Full range correction To flat
I had also been listening to bass corrected to 300hz with a 3DB boost to most smoothly transition into the measured frequency response but it was not included in this test because it sounded quite bad, unclear.

Results:
The winner was number 2, where Dirac corrected up to 300hz.

After blind preference tests I found that as suggested by Dr Floyd Toole, corrections above 300-500hz can cause more harm than good as the microphone is measuring the sum of the direct speaker sound and the room, where your brain can differentiate between the two.

I imagine that full range correction might be useful in situations where you are sitting really far from your speakers. I would imagine that the more of the room you are hearing, the more the full range correction would be beneficial. But in my situation, where the speakers are fairly close to me, and directly at ear level, I found above 300hz removed midrange presence which was not offensive in the first place.

With the correction flat up to 300hz, when no bass was playing, it was very difficult to tell when Dirac was even turned on, so the purity of the speakers remains intact here. However, without Dirac, my bass was very uneven, even with bass traps, with lower notes booming and some higher bass notes not having impact. With it on, all the bass just clicks into balance.

Summary: After blindly testing my preference ratings, I found using dirac to bring balance to bass while otherwise leaving high quality speakers unaltered was ideal.

Disclaimer: Of course, I am only one person, and additionally, despite being blinded, I was fairly easily able to tell what correction configuration I was listening to which brings in the possibility of bias. Perhaps for some reason I wanted desperately Dr. Toole’s research to be true and my brain skewed the results. Also due to the lack of listening standards across time and locations no single configuration can score the highest preference ratings for all content. I am okay with this and prefer to look at my audio system as a tool for objectivity and reproduction and do not want to fiddle with bass and treble controls to preference.

OP
S

SadMonster

Number 2 was just a flat correction target to 300hz with stereo subwoofers because my powerful brain can localize the subwoofers

OP
S

SadMonster

Sounds like you have a great setup! enjoy!

Something I haven’t experimented with yet now that I’ve determined correction to 300hz being good, is bass boosts. Trying the dirac suggested bass lift is interesting but I’ll have to reduce max output capability more to avoid clipping which makes it unappealing DX

Still want to try it though uwu

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Something I haven’t experimented with yet now that I’ve determined correction to 300hz being good, is bass boosts. Trying the dirac suggested bass lift is interesting but I’ll have to reduce max output capability more to avoid clipping which makes it unappealing DX

Still want to try it though uwu

Even for me the Dirac target curve is subbass deficient, subbass is a personal thing.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Haven't we been through this before? If you are using a flat target for the full-range and your speakers' in-room response is naturally/acoustically rolled-off, it is not an appropriate comparison. IIRC, that's the case with your system.

OP
S

SadMonster

Haven't we been through this before? If you are using a flat target for the full-range and your speakers' in-room response is naturally/acoustically rolled-off, it is not an appropriate comparison. IIRC, that's the case with your system.

I compared corrected flat full range along with the dirac default downward tilt and they really weren’t super different. Based off my measurements, in my listening position, the highs aren’t really rolled off that much and Dirac would actually have to bring them down with it’s default curve. Still, a natural curve does seem to exist with my measured in room response as the midrange was certainly elevated above the treble, so flattening it could likely create the same impression of an unpleasant brightness.

But either way I preferred no correction over dirac’s curve.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
@SadMonster Many thanks for sharing your experiences. I also have a DDRC24 and am still in the experimentation phase, learning how Dirac can help with my highly compromised setup (Econowave Deluxe loudspeakers sqeezed into a small UK spare bedroom that has become my home office over the last year - asymmetrical positioning with one buried in a corner beside the door). I dream of the day that I can have my system installed optimally within a larger room, and I can use Dirac as less of a damage-limitation tool :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I compared corrected flat full range along with the dirac default downward tilt and they really weren’t super different. Based off my measurements, in my listening position, the highs aren’t really rolled off that much and Dirac would actually have to bring them down with it’s default curve. Still, a natural curve does seem to exist with my measured in room response as the midrange was certainly elevated above the treble, so flattening it could likely create the same impression of an unpleasant brightness.

But either way I preferred no correction over dirac’s curve.
There's no accounting for ....................................... preference.

OP
S

SadMonster

There's no accounting for ....................................... preference.

I can A/B without telling my friends which is which when they come over. I‘m pretty sure most people would prefer it. I’ll do this and report back here.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can A/B without telling my friends which is which when they come over. I‘m pretty sure most people would prefer it. I’ll do this and report back here.

they should also not be aware that you’re switching, but the MiniDSP silent period between switches doesn’t allow that.

OP
S

SadMonster

they should also not be aware that you’re switching, but the MiniDSP silent period between switches doesn’t allow that.

Yeah that period is annoying ;-;

I could without a silence period show off completely disabled versus the dirac curve though and I am still pretty sure dirac correction off would get votes if I avoid bass focused portions but then I am entering into results manipulation territory

OP
S

SadMonster

So if anyone cares I'm kind of dumb and I'm sort of liking the full range correction now? I think the takeaway is try for yourself and don't take anyone's word for it. Not even your own!!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if anyone cares I'm kind of dumb and I'm sort of liking the full range correction now? I think the takeaway is try for yourself and don't take anyone's word for it. Not even your own!!
Lots of trial and error is good. I have went back and forth several times as well between full range and something in between. My first failure was full range correction using the JBL synthesis curve. My room it just sounded very very dull/muffled almost. I then experimented with less tilt and found that flat is still too bright/sharp as would be expected but I just needed to have less tilt from 1-10K and it sounds very good to me. So sometimes it could be that a particular room may need more or less tilt. Or if you really enjoy the uncorrected response of your speakers above transition, nothing wrong with that as well!

MaxRockbin

For what it's worth, Dirac strongly recommends full range correction and says they have found people prefer it. They say it is the time domain corrections that make the biggest improvement in the higher range.
Their rep is NOT the most compelling speaker. It's kind of a slog to get through the whole interview.

I used full range Dirac correction (miniDSP DDRC-24) with a pair of LSR305s and a similarly potent subwoofer (HSU VTF-1) crossed at 95hz with the Harmon +4db bass curve. I didn't try to blind A/B it but I did much prefer listening to it with Dirac on. In my small room, I found the 305s kind of grating without it.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth, Dirac strongly recommends full range correction and says they have found people prefer it. They say it is the time domain corrections that make the biggest improvement in the higher range.
Their rep is NOT the most compelling speaker. It's kind of a slog to get through the whole interview.

I used full range Dirac correction (miniDSP DDRC-24) with a pair of LSR305s and a similarly potent subwoofer (HSU VTF-1) crossed at 95hz with the Harmon +4db bass curve. I didn't try to blind A/B it but I did much prefer listening to it with Dirac on. In my small room, I found the 305s kind of grating without it.
Has there been any research on time domain corrections and listeners showing a preference of time domain being corrected vs not corrected?

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor

Dirac is also supposed to separate the reflections from the direct sound, this is why they ask to measure all those points. I've also found full-range correction to be preferred for near-field listening to Elac DBR-62 on my desk from less than 3ft distance ear to tweeter. When speakers have flat anechoic FR you need to be at a distance to actually get the high frequency roll-off and not sound too bright.

If someone prefers the uncorrected highs I would suggest to reduce the treble roll-off by pulling the 20kHz point up. I played around a lot with the treble roll-off until I got to something that I like and it was well worth it - now I love how my speakers sound, Dirac is amazing.

Top Bottom