• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi driver vs Single driver IEM's

Xen560

Not sure where to post this, but i notice this allot on few audiophile sites. Where everyone say's that anything with 2+ drivers are best, Yet the ER4S still beats allot of multi BA set up's. More so with some good EQ applied. I use my ER4XR yet with a EQ it sounds better than the SE425, W40, XBA-N1AP i had far back all multi driver.

Also to add i just saw at Reddit how few reviewers thought custom art's. New IEM's sounded like it had like 4+ drivers but then the company admitted it's a single BA set up.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Congratulations, you have discovered that what "everyone says" on internet forums may bear no relationship to reality.

Likewise the manufacturers' promotional material. I'm just finishing up a review of some headphones where nearly every technical claim is inaccurate. Yet the 'phones sound excellent, measure well, and are comfortable, and that's the part that should count for prospective customers.

OP
X

Xen560

True its nothing beyond bragging rights, like the CIEM's that are 4 driver hybrids or the 4+ BA set up's. Allot them even now still struggle with getting the crossovers to work. The XBA-N3AP still has recessed mid issues that a 1 driver set up never has issues with.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there’s arguably a case for 2-driver headphones, but couldn’t imagine any possible justification for 3 or more.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure where to post this, but i notice this allot on few audiophile sites. Where everyone say's that anything with 2+ drivers are best, Yet the ER4S still beats allot of multi BA set up's. More so with some good EQ applied. I use my ER4XR yet with a EQ it sounds better than the SE425, W40, XBA-N1AP i had far back all multi driver.

Also to add i just saw at Reddit how few reviewers thought custom art's. New IEM's sounded like it had like 4+ drivers but then the company admitted it's a single BA set up.

The driver wars are still pointlessly continuing with most manufacturers cramming in as many as they can.

That said, single driver BA designs have their limitations. The Etys have amazing FRs for a single driver, but tend to fall apart at higher volumes due to increased distortion.

IME, from listening to a ton of stuff at shows, 3 way with 3 or 4 drivers is usually the sweet spot for designs using off the shelf BAs. Companies like Final Audio who make their own custom BAs with higher power handling do just as well with single driver designs though.

OP
X

Xen560

I think there’s arguably a case for 2-driver headphones, but couldn’t imagine any possible justification for 3 or more.

Can agree with that, for either more bass or something.

The driver wars are still pointlessly continuing with most manufacturers cramming in as many as they can.

That said, single driver BA designs have their limitations. The Etys have amazing FRs for a single driver, but tend to fall apart at higher volumes due to increased distortion.

IME, from listening to a ton of stuff at shows, 3 way with 3 or 4 drivers is usually the sweet spot for designs using off the shelf BAs. Companies like Final Audio who make their own custom BAs with higher power handling do just as well with single driver designs though.

Never heard the falling apart thing with the ER4's with loud volume, even with a 5db bass boost on my XR and loud listening. That sounds like the same excuse why no one beyond Final, etymotic and custom art use single BA set up's. But pump out 4 driver iem's with crossover issues which still a bigger issue.

Than distorting issues that are overblown on allot audio forums.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard the falling apart thing with the ER4's with loud volume, even with a 5db bass boost on my XR and loud listening. That sounds like the same excuse why no one beyond Final, etymotic and custom art use single BA set up's. But pump out 4 driver iem's with crossover issues which still a bigger issue.

It's pretty obvious to me with all the Etys. You can see it on Tyll's graphs on IF too. I don't hear it on any of the Finals though. The F7200 in particular is excellent. Never heard the Custom Arts.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
14 BA IEM's.

nuff said.

Then again my DD is a 4 BA + 1 DD with a signature W shaped sound, it works for me lol. I've been going back and forth between that and a laid back 2 BA neutral IEM, but I do like my bass, vocals and a bit of treble emphasized.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can even get 18 BA set up, called the 64A A18t.

I've never been impressed with an IEM with OTT driver counts. Not really sure if it's because it's just harder to make them work well with so many variables or because I don't like their usual tunings.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never been impressed with an IEM with OTT driver counts. Not really sure if it's because it's just harder to make them work well with so many variables or because I don't like their usual tunings.

One possible reason would be that with massive driver counts you start to get well into the range of audible phase distortion for a headphone. Just a possibility though... Frequency response is still likely to be more decisive in terms of listener preference I'd guess.

OP
X

Xen560

One possible reason would be that with massive driver counts you start to get well into the range of audible phase distortion for a headphone. Just a possibility though... Frequency response is still likely to be more decisive in terms of listener preference I'd guess.

I've heard frequency overlap is a issue. Like say if few of there drivers pump out a frequency at the same time.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't really hear that, but there are people who say they can't stand it and prefer single BA or dynamic driver IEMs because of it.

BA's also have a very distinctive timbre which can contribute to a preference for DDs. Their design partially cancels even order distortion leaving mostly the odd order which some people can't stand at all.

I've heard frequency overlap is a issue. Like say if few of there drivers pump out a frequency at the same time.

There are plenty of designs that run drivers in multiple drivers behind the same crossover network to try and increase headroom and lower distortion. Are you referring to that or just a poorly designed crossovers with too much overlap?

OP
X

Xen560

There are plenty of designs that run drivers in multiple drivers behind the same crossover network to try and increase headroom and lower distortion. Are you referring to that or just a poorly designed crossovers with too much overlap?

The second part with poor crossover or too much overlap.

Jorj

Forum Donor
The Noble K10 was (and maybe still is) perhaps the most highly regarded CIEM Tyll ever reviewed (UERM runner-up, maybe?), and it still has a massive fan base on nearly any forum you care to browse. I take that to mean that it is possible to do some great things with lots of drivers, and I cannot imagine how John got them all crossed properly. Mine are simply breathtaking. They are that good. I like them better than the Campfire Andromeda, by a fair margin.

All that said, I'm not sure where to land on the science of a truckload balanced armatures stuffed into a tiny enclosure. I see a trend to do more with less of them, or even going back to BA + DD, but it'll take some doing to outclass the K10. I'm not sure, but someone may rival the sound with one or two drivers someday. I've not heard any yet that can. Campfire Solaris is getting a lot of buzz, tho...

Veri

Master Contributor
BA's also have a very distinctive timbre which can contribute to a preference for DDs. Their design partially cancels even order distortion leaving mostly the odd order which some people can't stand at all.

I guess that's why I hate BA sound. So spoiled with HD650 timbre all my headphone life. Interesting to now know why though :D

Fone

I've been lucky enough to test hundreds of headphones and IEMs. Just my subjective listening experience so YMMV.

On paper, BAs have some great selling points. But I really haven't enjoyed listening to any of them. They are pretty big and uncomfortable for my ears. I suppose the crossover and time-alignment design challenges are part of the sound problem for me but I really have no idea. I haven't tried custom-fitted BAs but am not sure how that solves said technical challenges. BAs are quite popular so maybe people like the sound signature or are less sensitive to the crossovers.

In practice, I find well-designed IEMs with single drivers sound much better to my ears. There is some merit in simple design. I quite enjoyed the Sennheiser and JVC flagships. Sony has some nice higher-end units although I don't know what is available today in western-markets and some of the odd-ball designs should not be purchased without a test-drive. The Sennheiser might be my personal favourites but sound quality varied a lot from unit-to-unit to my ears, the cable has irritating microphonics so is not great for walking around with, and the ie800 has "difficult" to repair cabling.

Full-sized headphones have some advantages to IEMs but also create other issues. Good modern IEMs are pretty competitive.

I have a bunch of $15 Sennheiser CX earbuds and they are great for travel and commuting.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'd reaaaaally like to try the LCDi4 :) planar open back iem goodness. Seems awesome.

Top Bottom